The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 25, 2018, this space displayed 14 Million, 560 Thousand and 657 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Politely telling neighboring property owner about use of our land  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing so I can afford to farm.
    • Share Post
Re: Politely telling neighboring property owner about use of our land
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:37 PM »
You may not be liable in the end of it all, but what will it cost you?  The problem is attorneys decide what is "gross negligence" and insurance companies determine just what it's worth to invest in said attorney.  

Is a 16' cable gate with a single piece of 10' PVC pipe across it reasonable or gross negligence? I suspect the answer is "it depends" and a major factor is likely the gate owners net worth.  Brought to you by the law firm of We, Cheat'em, and How.     
'92 Franklin 170 grapple skidder
'92 Franklin 5000 wheeled buncher
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound * 2
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer / hydraulic hose breaker
Hot wife
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:17 PM »
I guess it depends on the size of the injured persons pockets.  Attorneys dont work for free and dont waste their time on probono cases with low payout odds.  Historically the hold harmless laws of the northeast have been quite robust.  Its been 10yrs or more since i was involved and they may have weathered a bit, but id been told they were rock solid.  What puts you at risk is accepting "donations" of money, labor, swag etc which many landowners did. 

Its kinda like FOPA of 1986.  Some states are known to stomp on it and some are known to not even investigate.  Or like self defense laws and castle doctrine.  In mass you might be well within the letter of the law and still go to prison for self defense after years in court.  In most of TN, dude crosses your fence middle of the night and gets shot, not much to investigate.  

Theres shades of gray. No one has all the answers and there are no true guarantees in life. 

Revelation 3:20

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:08 AM »
Back to the OP's question. I would certainly start with a polite conversation, expressing whatever rules you have for your property.

As soon as you get home, I would write yourself some notes on the conversation: what you said and what he said, the date and time of the conversation and the date & time you wrote the notes. In most cases, showing that the offender was aware he/she was doing something wrong increases the chances of holding them accountable. It's likely to be your word against his (unless you have a spouse or friend go with you), but notes taken immediately after the conversation carry a surprising amount of weight in the eyes of a judge.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »
Maybe I missed it in the tread? 
Get it surveyed, pin the corners, paint and blaze the lines and add inter-visible 
points on line.  Makes it easy, you know what you have and so do the neighbor(s).

Ask the Surveyor to send notice of the work to be performed to all the adjoiners,
Its also a good way for the Surveyor to get maps and other info on the land
and the adjoiners get a notification before you have introduce yourself,

Best
Dgdrls

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
Very good advice and spoken by a Registered Land Surveyor.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online bigtrees

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 10:49:50 AM »
Thanks all. I think I will need a polite but firm letter to the adjacant owner letting him know that we are the new owners and we wish to close the property at this time, and ask that he discontinue his use of the land. I'll explain that my wife and I just bought the property and we want a chance to check out and see what we bought and develop our management plans first. Eventually we may be able to reopen it in the future but we need some time to get acquainted with the property first.

I also agree about marking property boundaries. Surveyors have been in there to locate the corners. One of my first projects will be to flag the lines so everybody knows where they are. I think that will help eliminate any confusion.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »
A face-to-face, polite, but firm, conversation is more personal than a letter.  A letter is a one-way communication.  A face-to-face allows for discussion and hopefully better understanding.  In any event, good luck with it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »
Im with WDH.  Realtime feedback is critical in all human interactions in order to adjust your words as you go for best outcome, and you dont get that in a letter.  I dont think i ever got a letter "informing me" of anything that i didnt curse at.  It sets the stage for sour relations.  "Oh look its the new jerk next door who sent us that BS letter." 

The survey letter otoh comes off as just a business doing its job.  Like the electric company checking meters or something.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 11:25:30 PM »
Carry a cell phone, be prepared to dial 911 before it gets out of control, not after.  

Routinely patrol the fenceline, if possible, to make your presence known.  

Rarely have I had it work out without some sort of delayed trouble, even if verbal, however it does occasionally.  Once I talked to a habitual vandal's preacher.  On another time, I talked to another fellows parents.  Once I made a deal with a cop that he could hunt my land if he would stop the trespassers and fence cutters.

Other times it doesn't work out so well.  

Owning land has its downside.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Runningalucas

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 12:07:08 AM »
I think I've experienced Yellowhammer's neighbors, but in my neck of the woods.  Surveyor's are the intelligent route to go, but I'd make sure the neighbor is good with them, as in accepting of the given surveyor's qualifications; people can just get weird.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »
 Once I made a deal with a cop that he could hunt my land if he would stop the trespassers and fence cutters.
    Reminds me of the tale my dad used to tell. Said there were a lot of burglaries in the community and nobody could catch the thief. Finally a young man went to the sheriff and told him if he'd hire him as a deputy he'd put a stop to the theft. Sheriff hired him and thefts stopped. Years later sheriff asked him how he stopped the thefts. Deputy told him "I stopped stealing."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »
I might go the route of a personal conversation. Heck he might turn out to be a nice guy and keep and eye on things when your not around. Then follow it up with a letter or memo stressing the points you covered. Could even get his email address and send it with a receipt required. In any event if you send anything written without a return receipt he could claim he never received. 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 07:26:03 PM »
My dad and I own a few acres of land about a half hour away from where we live so we are unable to go there often.  There is section 8 housing, at the junction of Crack and Murder, separated by our property and a Dollar General.  The fences were routinely cut and a trail of trash was present across the property along the footpath.  When the fences were last built, we had styles installed on the path.  Knowing that we could not prevent the trespassers, we just made it easy for them to cross without cutting the fences.  The property borders a major highway and cattle often graze the land which would create quite a liability if one was to make it to the road and be struck by a car.  Not the best situation but the fence has not been cut since.

A face to face meeting with the adjoining landowner would be my first course of action.
Caveman

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »
I'm on the other side of the fence  a good talk does a lot just do not tell his kids if they have any to tell there parents to stay off that's what my new jack  ss neighbor did  wasn't man enough to tell me  that's all I'm going to say 

Offline Klunker

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
I guess I was Lucky, when I bought my current property one neighbor was hunting on it and another was cutting a small field for hay. Both where allowed by the old owner at no cost.
Both have stopped when I bought the land, the old owner told them that he sold the land.
Neither one asked if they could continue, they just quit.

I had a tresspasser looking for Morels in the woods, he came over from one of the neighbors who had given him permission. He did not know property lines which I straighten him out on.

IN WI you do not have to post your land to prosecute trespassers. Its the trespassers responsibility to know where they are, if they are on your land they can be prosecuted. Its the best way in my opinion.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
property owner rights

Started by Polly on General Board

26 Replies
Last post November 02, 2010, 08:25:25 PM
by Jasperfield
xx
Land Owner says Willow?

Started by pabst79 on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 01:47:36 PM
by sandhills
xx
Land owner education...

Started by mrcaptainbob on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2006, 11:23:09 PM
by mrcaptainbob
xx
just a great land owner

Started by cutter88 on General Board