The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Rope  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Rope
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
I love knots and regularly use knots such as the trucker's hitch, bowline, and clove hitch.  Strangely I was not familiar with the butterfly so off to Google I went.  This is one of the examples that I found:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »
Nice video you found, Magicman.

I sometimes find the "two-twist method" tough to follow in a video. Here is a picture sequence that helped me when I was first trying to learn this knot:

It's important to get this one right, since mis-tying it can produce a similar looking, but inferior knot.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »
I will be practicing tying this knot today because occasionally I need a "mid span" loop.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
Knot Head... :D :D :D :D
Where's the Spoon?

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »
Don't use the ropes that stretch.  I assume the arborist ropes are designed for pulling trees so definately stick to them.  Many years ago our power went out, and I walked outside to see that our neighbor had dropped a big oak tree right across the road, taking the power lines with it.  I asked him why he hadn't roped it off and he said he had, using his nylon boat rope, he hooked it to his truck winch got it banjo tight, but when the tree started falling the wrong way, the roped stretched like a rubber band and barely slowed the tree down.   :D :D

Personally, on risky drops, I use chains and a big 3 foot handled come along and get the trees tensioned or leaning my way before I ever put the saw to them.  We clear a lot of fenclines and all trees will have a heavier canopy and significant lean over the open sun space of the fence and want to fall on it.  Pretty much have to pull every one. Chains don't stretch and a heavy ratcheting hand winch will allow me to put heavy, constant, consistent stable pressure on the tree so I'm not in a rush to hurry up and cut it down. 

Cutting in the woods is a different matter. Saw them, wedge them, drop them, drag them.    
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
I tend not to use ropes or chains at all for felling when I'm working in the woods. I can usually figure out how to wedge it over in the direction I want it to go (with two wedges and the occasional cookie as a spacer, you can counter a surprising amount of lean). If that's just not practical, I'll look for other directions to drop it. Admittedly, there are more options when cutting firewood, since if it doesn't land in a position that makes it easy to pull out, I can always cut it into smaller pieces and then drag it out.

When cutting sawlogs or when the tree is creating a hazard to a building or something, a rope or chain may be unavoidable. I generally don't do near power lines if it's going to take a rope or chain to protect them. I let the power company deal with that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
I was taught to tie the alpine butterfly with the hand wrap method. Once you get it down you can do it with your eyes closed.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »
Thanks John Mc & Magicman got that one down. It would be nice if there was a knot tying app that laid them out like you did John Mc.

I do use wedges but find there is a fine line on hinge size for leaners and wind direction doesn't help either.  The hand winch and Samson rigging rope look to be the perfect solution to provide some extra tension for me working alone on the smaller size trees that l am dealing with. plus there is no danger to anything if they go in the wrong direction, just alot of extra work.  It is just nice to now have a decent length of rope that is not notted together and has a real working load rating as a extra safety precaution when needed. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a Logrite cant hook.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
I did some practicing yesterday.  Yup, dat's a good knot.  :P

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 07:43:49 AM »
Not an app, but a good reference:

Arborist Knots | How to Tie Tree Climbing Knots | Animated Arborist Knots

And also:  https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/arborist-knots

HM126

Offline james

• truck drivin fool
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
rock climbers us. While it is incredibly strong, it's designed to be elastic - that elasticity cushions the jerk at the end of a long fall when climbing. However, the elasticity is also what makes the rope spring back with surprising force if it does break.

that"s not nice not all rock climbers are jerks ;D james

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
animatedknots.com is also a good one.
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »
It would be nice if there was a knot tying app that laid them out like you did John Mc.

If you are talking about how to tie the knots, if you google just about any knot name, you'll find an abundance of picture sequences, animated tying examples, and YouTube videos. Quality varies greatly, and what makes perfect sense to one viewer may be completely confusing to another, so if one isn't clicking for you, try another.

I've also found that most of the Wikipedia entries for a specific knot have pretty good descriptions of that knot is good for.

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »
Google Apps 

They have an app for tying knots. 
Where's the Spoon?

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 07:32:19 PM »
That Butterfly knot looks like what they use to tie top & bottom rigs for fishing.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »
Do they have an app for skinning goats?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »
Do they have an app for skinning goats?
No but they show a knot for hanging one. 😂😂😂😂
Where's the Spoon?

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 12:15:06 AM »
Stretchy ropes can get you in trouble with a leaner, even the very strong ones. Arborist's ropes were designed for the job. Personally, I have a pair of 50 foot 3/8" wire rope chokers that I can link together. A cable clamp plus an 8000 pound come-along and an anchor chain complete the package.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
need used rope

Started by sgtmaconga on Wanted

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 03:02:23 PM
by sgtmaconga
xx
Rope

Started by Jesse Frank on Timber Framing/Log construction

18 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 07:22:56 AM
by Dana