TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Blades for wide cut  (Read 766 times)

Offline Pabene

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Blades for wide cut
« on: May 13, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »

I have a log band saw and have cut boards during 15 years. The mill is designed for 1 blades. The motor is a 7,5 kW three phase. When I start to cut a log, about 30 diameter, I would like to have blades with a pitch of 1.25 1.5.  I can not find 1 blades with more than 1 pitch on the market. IMO, the blades with 7/8 or 1 pitch, has to small gullets to make a wide cut.
When I am lifting a board, 10 wide, I can see the blade with 7/8 pitch, starts to leave sawdust already after 8 in the cut.
In all other cases of sawing, cold saws for metal, vertical band saws, circular saws and so, you have to select a blade with suitable gullets for the thickness of the material you are going to cut.
I want to ask here on the forum if someone know why we not can order 1 blades wit larger pitch.

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
Re: Blades for wide cut
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »
Hello,
  I assume "Pitch" is the space between the tooth?  1 1/8" is available through WM.
  7.5 KW = 10 hp? Is this correct? Electric motor hp is a little different than engine hp?  There is not a torque curve on a electric motor like a gas or diesel motor would have.
10 electric is close to a 25 hp gas engine. ?

Here is my opinion.
     10 hp is not much in relation to using a wide tooth spacing blade.
     I would try a 7 degree with the 29 degree back angle blade. 7/39   7/8 tooth spacing  1.25 width.  WM name is the Turbo blade.
     You could also try a smaller gullet witch would used less hp. 9/29  ( this goes against your theory)
     Other things to think about.   Blade speed, WM likes 1 mile a min or 5200 SFM
                                                Feed rate would also effect the saw dust size, slower makes fine dust
                                                Many band saws use a narrow band in tough sawing conditions ( Frozen) with great results 1.25" widths.
                                                Bi Metal, Carbide etc will stay sharp longer may help.

Hope this helps.
Marty
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

Online Skipper11A

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »
When I am lifting a board, 10 wide, I can see the blade with 7/8 pitch, starts to leave sawdust already after 8 in the cut.
Pabene, the only problem that I hear is that you are leaving sawdust between the boards.  I'm not sure that this is a problem.  I haven't heard you mention a real problem yet.  Are your cuts flat or are they wavy?  If your cuts are wavy, that's a problem.  If your cuts are flat, then you have no problem.

Offline Pabene

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »
Skipper11A, I have no real problem but I miss 1 1/2" blades with tooth space of about 1 1/4". For us with lower hp I am sure it would be good. (It can be good for all). I have performed a test with a blade as I had cut away every second teeth. That way I know it is in the "right direction" to go for wide cut.
I am not good enough in English to explain all details. Maybe some here can tell why the blade maufactory just make maximum 1 1/8 tooth space.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Any of you out there using 2" wide bandsaw blades?

Started by LOGDOG on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post July 14, 2006, 11:48:58 AM
by LOGDOG
xx
4 or 5 inch wide Band Blades ??

Started by Tobaccoman on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 09:39:05 PM
by isaacpopp
xx
Help Woodmizer blades getting hot in wide cypress!

Started by Cypress Sam on Sawmills and Milling

35 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 08:33:26 AM
by Magicman
xx
Blades for the new WoodMizer Wide Head

Started by DR_Buck on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 01:24:00 AM
by redbeard