iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Question

Started by C_Koon, May 15, 2018, 08:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Koon

This is my first time posting so please bear with me.   I need some  advice on sawing.   When sawing 10" SYP boards  for board and batten is it ok to saw a cant then start sawing through the cant or do I need to box the heart.  Thanks in advance.   I really enjoy all the wisdom and advice for here!

bushhog920

Opening face cut to 5" from the center. Flip 180° cut to 10" then rotate 90°. That seems to get the most 10" boards for me.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Adding your location to your profile helps with answering questions.

SYP can show some stress being released as it is being sawn, especially from "Plantation" trees.  This will be evident by the end of the cant lifting up off of the sawmill bed as boards are removed.

I would level the log on the sawmill and not be concerned with the pith.  Make the log's face openings so that the cant saw through is from either the hump or horn side of the log.  Flipping the cant 180° after about every 3 boards are removed should keep the cant straight/flat.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I think if you are just sawing them 4/4 or thinner you will be okay. Boxing the heart is to prevent the boards bowing but on thin boards that will be nailed flat, especially when put up green and plenty of nails used, it is not much of a concern. If I were sawing them for my use I would not bother to box the heart for B&B. Let's see what others have to say.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jemclimber

Listen to Magic.  He is telling you this because of experience, he knows that the boards cut this way will give bow instead of crook. The bow will flatten out as it is installed.
lt15

C_Koon

Thanks for everyone's input!  Just wanted to make sure that boxing the heart wasn't necessary.  

Truth be known I've been a stalker on here for a few years now. Fortunately I know a lot more about most of y'all than you know about me.    

Magicman, I'm from Prosperity, SC. Just added that to my profile.

WDH

I would center the pith in the cant the best possible, but try to make sure there is the same amount of wood on either side of the pith on the left side and right side as you look at the end of the cant.  Balancing the wood on either side minimizes side bend. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Quote from: bushhog920 on May 15, 2018, 08:42:39 AM
Opening face cut to 5" from the center. Flip 180° cut to 10" then rotate 90°. That seems to get the most 10" boards for me.
In addition to above posts.  I don't trust side bend.  I mill the cant wider than desired, Cut the boards, then edge both sides a few at a time.  It is extra work. I hate bent boards lying side by side on a stack, especially with the "sawmill guys" looking.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

The pith will usually ~center up if the log is turned with the horns toward the loader for the initial face opening.  Turn the log until the pith centers on the top end and then level the log with the toe boards.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

C_Koon

Thanks for all the advice.   Now it's time to start sawing 6,000 bf.

terrifictimbersllc

Last two days I was sawing pine where some cants had a little side bend, and when the cant was sawn like this on its side into 1 inch boards, these boards would straighten out perfectly. I've seen this before, not that often though.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Releasing the stress and energy that is stored inside of a log can do some strange things.

SawyerTed

I sawed a poplar that had been hit by lightning.  The boards came off the mill and twisted and curled while we watched.  They looked alive.  They made good fire pit wood.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!