iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tractor skidding winch

Started by bitternut, January 24, 2005, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

Been thinking of getting a skidding winch to use on my JD 5210 MFWD tractor. I am looking at the Farmi, Fransgard, Tajfun and Norse. Anyone have any comments on which one is the best or other brands that they like. The Farmi seems to be the most popular in my area but I have not yet talked to anyone who is using one. They all seem to be pretty similar as far as structure, weight, and function. Maybe some of you can point me to one that might be superior to the others.

WH_Conley

Be sure to ge one heavy enough for your application. A couple of local guys over the years have bought factory winches and tore them up. I won't mention brand names because I have saw myself how they used, too small winch on too big a tractor pulling oversize logs, per winch rating.

I have a Braden winch, salvaged, on a home made frame with large excavator teeth to dig in the groung to take pressure off hitch arms. A neighbor of mine had one he had built from the gear box off an old hay baler. I was skeptical when i saw it and amazed when I saw it work.

Main thing on a  winch, I think is HP rating, get one too small and you will tear it up.

Just my 2 cents.
Bill

Norm

I've owned the Farmi skidding winch for 4 years now and have nothing but good things to say about it. I run mine on a JD7210 but it would work well on your size also. I've never seen any of the other models you mention so can't say if the Farmi is better or worse.

jrb34

I looked at a Farmi but bought a Fransgaard, more because I liked the dealer that sold the Frans more than the one that sold the Farmi. I didn't see a lot of mechanical differences between them, however, and I think the choice probably divides along the same lines as Husky versus Stihl: both are good, and in some models one is possibly better, but the choice really comes down to which dealer you'd rather give your money to.
JRB

Ed_K

I run the Fransgaurd 2800 on a 55 hp tractor. In 6 yrs of heavy use, I replaced the drive chain and cable once. I didn't like the idea of the cable lock being down on the frame but a drilled hole in the handle fixed that. Tied a rope to it and looped it over the 3rd pt, and I don't have to get off to release the hitch.
Ed K

moosehunter

I have a Farmi 351p on a 40 horse 'bota. Have had it about 8 months and am impressed with it every time I use it. Have not used or seen any of the others operate.
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thecfarm

I have a Norse on the back of my 40hp New Holland.Been there for 10 years and has worked great.Never had done any repairs on it.Make sure you get one with a pivot base plate.This is the part that digs in to the ground when you are winching.Some models didn't have this when we was looking.This part will roll up instead of getting you hung up on a rock or stump.The Norse can be pinned so it won't pivot.But this was 10 years ago too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

devo

I'm new to tractor/winch combo my self, always used skidder to do the pulling. I recently bought a 4 wheel drive tractor, and I had the seller throw in his used farmi as part of the deal. I can't comment on other makes but that little farmi really does a good job, and seems to be built really tough.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Gypo Logger

I used the Norse 4500 I believe it was for over 6 yrs. full time on a Ford 5610 and Kubota 4950 for selective thinning in hardwood stands. As was mentioned the Norse has a dozer blade that will hinge back if caught in a technical situation such as a high stump or rock. It is great also for trail building, log piling and snow removal as well as light grading. All logging winches work best on 4wd tractors with loaders, but I saw a setup whereby the tractor had a quick detach dozer blade on the loader that was off a log skidder.
The added weigh on the front means better steering with a large load on the back. Most of these winches are serious setups and will handle 5000# no problem on the right tractor.
John

bitternut

Well it appears that any of the skidding winches that I mentioned would be a good tool to acquire. The one exception would be the Tajfun which did not seem to be one used by anyone.  The hinged butt plate on the Norse 450 seems like a good idea. Spent last weekend in the woods with the wife cutting and hauling out next winters firewood. Funny how carrying some firewood a few hours will convince the little woman that the task would be a lot easier if we could winch the trees out to the edge of the trail. I now have her blessing on getting one. Am I smart or what? We will be looking to deal on one at the New York State Farm Show later in the month. Last year we came home with a new blue plasma cutter.

ScottAR

There's a few guys over on www.tractorbynet.com with tajfun winches and of course farmi's and all the others as well.  Might check out the attachments section and hit the search as well.  HTH
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

RSteiner

I have a Farmi winch that I have owned for over 25 years, it's been on two tractors.  It is rated for 17-35 hp. tractors.  I have had to change the cable once, which is no problem.

I was worried about the clutch wear so I took it all apart, about a 30 minute job.  I found the clutch was still in very good shape so back together it went.

I really like mine a lot and use it quite frequently.  Mine is PTO driven, I can't tell you about the hydraulic ones but I don't think I would like them.

Mine is still worth just about what I paid for it today. :)

Randy

Randy

Sparkkky

Hello, I am one of the guys from tractorbynet that has ordered a Tajfun winch. Between the Farmi and Tajfun in smaller winches I went with the Tajfun at 200lbs more weight for one thing. One of the members got one this week and he's posted some pictures.

mapleveneer

Okay, I will give you guys my experience.

I have a Farmi winch rated for a 30 HP tractor on a 50 HP FWD tractor.  I have broken just about everything on it which can be broken.  Most  common is the drive chain. That is the part which is designed to fail when overloaded like a shear pin.  It's about a 10 minute job to replace the chain if you have spares made up.  Just putting a repair link in will get you back into the woods but if you pulled hard enough to break it you also stretched at least 50% of the other links in the chain.  It won't be long before you are back in the shop again.  Cable breaks occasionally but not often.  I am on my second cable in 20 years.  Pulled too hard with the winch one day and pulled the top point of the three point hitch right off the back of the tractor. 

I work the equipment probably a lot harder than it is intended to be used but the winch is still working for me.  I used it today.  In my log pile right now is a hard maple which is 30 ft. long and 20 in. at the tip, brought out with the above described equipment.  I probably bring out an average of 10,000 bd. ft. of timber and 15 cords of firewood in a good year with the winch which is probably designed much more for firewood type operations. 

A Vermonter once told me that if things aren't breaking occasionally, you really aren't working very hard.

Sparkkky

Was that your tractor on tractorbynet with the top missing?

RSteiner

The broken top link is one of the reasons I installed what Kubota called a heavy duty top link used in back hoe set-ups.   There is a tremendous strain or pull put on the top link when using a 3PH winch.

I have lifted the front tires off the ground several times, when that happens it is the top link that is taking all the strain.  If you are not pulling straight then the strain is a pulling and twisting action.

Pull as straight as possible off the rear.  I did break a 3PH lift arm on my 8N when pulling too much to the side.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Randy
Randy

Urbicide

Hello

I am doing some research on tractor 3-point logging winches. I have come to realize that one would make life a bit easier. I have a Kubota L5030 HST which is rated 42 1/2 hp at the pto. So far, it seems that Farmi, Fransgard, and Norse are the 3 most common brands. Does any one particular brand have any advantages and/or disadvantages over the other? How about parts availability? I would appreciate any input from you guys.

Thank you.

Vince pull_smiley

thecfarm

I all ready had a comment on the Norse that I have in this thread.We used our often and hard and have not had any mechanical trouble with it.I'm very happy with the Norse.The only trouble that we had was too much cable,it came with 150 feet.When I replaced the cable I only put on 100 feet.I very rarey pull out all 100 feet.When I would pull the cable out,around the spool the cable would be a little loose.I would try to make sure the cable would be tight against the spool before engaging the winch,but when I would forget to check,the chain that runs the spool would flatten out the cable.That is about the only trouble I had with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

I ran a Fransguard for 5 yrs now I'm running a Tajfun. Their all the same,comes down to who and what you buy and after sale dependability. Cable wear,drive chain and driveshaft are the only components that can wear out.
Ed K

pineywoods

I built my own using a used pto type winch off an old international scout and a hydraulic motor. Runs off the tractor hydraulics, no drive shaft, and it's reversable. pics in my gallery.
It does the job and the price is right.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

John_Haylow

I have been using a Fransgard V4000 for about 5 years now with no problems. I have it on a 40 Hp Kubota 4WD tractor. As others have said, keep your pull as straight as possible or you could easily tip over your tractor.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Dave Shepard

I have a Farmi JL306 on my Kubota L48. It works well. I would like one of the newer ones that has the blade on the back, but it really isn't a requirement.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

adirondack harvester

I use a farmi 501 on my jd 5300 and it is a powerhouse.  Farmi is super reliable and easy to fix anything that may go wrong.

york

Hi all,
I am using my second Farmi....this last one is a mod. 456....got it 1978...you can not kill this thing.....is on a 60 HP tractor...Albert
Albert

Tom

Welcome to the ForestryForum, York!! :)

Thank You Sponsors!