iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: 'Nother New Laptop  (Read 7431 times)

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: 'Nother New Laptop
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 08:12:21 PM »
Again, again?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »
MM
How's your computer running now?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »
So far Jim, I am coasting along.  I did everything that "Tanzeel" told me to do, and he has already sent me 2 emails inquiring how it's doing.  At least I can't fault him. 

I want it to work because this is a nifty and lightweight 14" Laptop.  I also would like to use Edge but it has a habit of forgetting everything that I have typed occasionally when I backspace.  Grrrrr, so Firefox it is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
Well, I guess no news is good news.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »
I have not had any problems since June 24th so I gave Dell permission to close out my service number this morning.  Time will tell, but so far, so good.

I did get an "emergency" call this morning notifying me that my Microsoft Windows License had expired and that I needed to immediately call an 800 number and have my license renewed.  Wow, that was a close call!  :o  All that they needed was my credit card number and it would be renewed and thus prevent any disruption of my computer activities.  Wow, I love it when so many people are looking after my best interest.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ronwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Enjoy Making Sawdust !!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
Sounds like a scam for sure!!
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
I received the same call, MM, simple, just give us money, no problem. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
I am on my 3rd Toshiba laptop since 2000. None of them broke, just got slower as the next operating system consumed more bloat and ram. I threw away two working dinosaurs. :D

Hopefully, you will not go down for the 3rd count. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 04:41:01 PM »
Yup, that is what was wrong with my last Laptop.  It's belly was not large enough to digest what it was being fed.  It kept asking that I delete some files so that Win10 could make the latest update.  :o  

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
I think I'll dig out an old Commodore 64. Laugh, but some folks have even connected to the internet on those 35 year old clunkers. Well, just because they can. They're not doing Facebook though. :D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »
Well, I don't know.  Blue Screen Critical Failure, Stopcode: Memory Management.  I ran the Support Assist last night and it did a "file clean" and "performance tune".  I wonder if that caused the failure or if it is the same old, same old, again....again.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »
Dell has reactivated the repair service number and are sending me a return box again....again.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
As per their instructions I removed the hard drive so that I would not loose my files, etc. and have the Laptop boxed and ready for it's return trip to Dell again....again.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 09:31:41 AM »
At least this is a well traveled Laptop.  It came back from Dell....again Friday so we shall see again....again....again.

The paperwork stated that they: plastics replaced, mechanical part replaced, main logic board replaced, memory replaced, clean system, tested for full functionality.

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »
I'm pretty skeptical of "tuning" software. Dunno if that caused your issue, but I doubt it helped. MS has decent engineers that are paid good money to develop operating systems. Random third parties don't add much to the bottom line outside of exceptional circumstances. If it were me, I'd unistall anything that doesn't come with vanilla Windows,  and let the system take care of itself. Windows is pretty good anymore about not requiring user intervention.

My computer finally died this morning. I've been having issues for awhile. The MB has swollen caps, and components have been slowly giving up. I think the GFX card is what finally quit. I built that machine in 06. Not a bad run, especially considering it spent ≈8 years with a 30% overclock. Not sure what I'm doing yet. I'm not into hardware like I once was. I'll see what the pawnshop has. Get something cheap, move my drive over, and call it a day :shrugs:

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:38 PM »
'm pretty skeptical of "tuning" software.

I'm 100% sceptical of that stuff. Best running systems are the clean ones, with the least unnecessary rubbish in the background. The big manufacturers are bad for loading machines down with bloatware, maybe to make people think they are getting something "extra" for their money?

A lot of the "Windows 10 upgrade problems" were due to the original bloatware being left on the machine during the upgrade, and some of it not being Win10 friendly, and some just being rubbish. Fixed a lot of those by wiping the disk and re-installing a clean Win10, with none of the bloatware. Machines ran fine after that.

Anyway, it sounds like MM basically has a "new" machine, just in the old case. A laptop really only has a system board, RAM and a hard disk that are the "computer" parts. The rest is screen and keyboard etc, which don't cause those problems. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »
They replaced the hard drive the first time that the Laptop went back to Dell.  This time they let me keep the hard drive so that none of my files would be lost.  

Malwarebytes is the only extra that I have installed and they told me that it was OK.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
Malwarebytes is the only extra that I have installed and they told me that it was OK.

Yeah, that can be useful, and generally wont cause a problem. Probably better to not run it as a background task though, just as an "on demand" scanner to look for any crapware you may have picked up. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2018, 09:47:21 PM »
It's the "premium" version and is set up to run/scan ~3:00 every morning.  

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 05:39:24 PM »
Soooo. now on the 4th day it died again.....X4.   ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another 'nother Laptop Question??

Started by Magicman on Technical Support Topics

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 09:34:53 AM
by Magicman
xx
'nother WM success..

Started by zopi on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 07:56:23 PM
by zopi