TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: 'Nother New Laptop  (Read 6022 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: 'Nother New Laptop
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »
I just dug a big rock out of The New Piece. That would of been a good place for it,in the bottom of the hole.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2018, 06:33:05 PM »
I guess that I am clicking along quite well.  My Spreadsheets are in Excel on my other (backup) Laptop and even though they will open in Libreoffice that I installed on this new Laptop, I was not quite satisfied.  I did some searching and found MS Office Home 2016 for $37.50 so I took a chance and bought it.  The download went smoothly and the License Key turned it on.  I transferred my spreadsheets with a thumb drive and everything works perfectly so I guess that I can uninstall Libreoffice.

The Malwarebytes folks did their job and even showed me how to transfer my Key myself but I am hoping that this new/old unit will last me a looong time.  It's still less than a week old and I am feeling frisky.   ;D

This little 64GB SanDisk thumb is a lifesaver.   smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
DanG that's tiny. And it's only that big so you don't need tweezers and a microscope.  :D I think you can get a 256 gb microSD card now. :o edit: Nope, you can get a 1 tb microSD now.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »
I went ahead and dumped Libreoffice.  My files seem happy with my new/old '16 model MS Office.  I have added, edited, and saved files so I think that it is OK.  My "backup" Laptop is an '07 model and the files transferred without a hitch.

Yes Dave, I believe that they added size so that you can get a grip on it.  It also has a tiny ring (seen in the picture) so that you could add a split ring and put it on a keychain I guess. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
My USB Bluetooth radio is like your thumb drive, just a little bump on the end of a connector. :)

Good luck with your new machine. I have used Office 2013 since it came out. I use Excel sometimes to do stuff that won't render in weaving software, using color and conditional formatting. It's a slow process, but works. Of course graph paper would to. :D I have not programmed in Access for a few years, but I can still use some old databases I wrote in Access 2000.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »
I "re-remembered" last night another reason that I do not like/trust Edge when I tried to highlight some text.  It would go part way and then top.  I tried dragging the highlight up from the bottom and again about half way it stopped highlighting.  That plus the backspace sometime taking me an entire page back instead of a character.  MS needs to re-lick their Edge cat....again.  Firefox is up and running.  :)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
I am going to pretend that it did not happen but this new "old" Laptop died last night but the stopcode message disappeared to quickly for me to read it.  After it recovered and regrouped it actually seems to be responding very well.  Again I shall wait and see again....again. 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
There must be some serious quality control issues in the chain. It could even be in the chip manufacture. Who knows. I'm sticking with Toshiba. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline IMERC

• Senior Member x2
  • I have fishin'itis.... Really bad...
    • Share Post
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
It was waking up from sleep and was taking a loong time before it finally "bluescreened".  I'll keep a record of any future failures.  I'll also make a "PrtScr" of any failures but I do not know how to get them off of WordPad and into an email if I need to send them to Dell.  I'll have to do some Googling and reading.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2018, 09:45:14 PM »
Snap a picture with your phone and send it.  I do it all too often when my equipment throws dashboard error codes, numbers, error pictures, etc.  most cameras have more than enough resolution to read the text.  Just a thought.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
Taking a picture with my phone is exactly what I did with the last one to finally convince them that I was actually having a problem.  I was quick enough on the draw twice but failed on my other attempts. 

The failure Sunday night was also too quick for me reach my phone and get it ready, but I could have done the PrtScr.  I Googled and learned how to get the screen shot and how to view it but haven't figured out what to do with it yet but I could take a picture of the screen shot.

I am hoping that this latest failure was a fluke and not another ongoing situation.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »
The screen shot is captured as a low resolution bitmap graphic in the clipboard and can be pasted (or shortcut Cntrl V) in any program that will accept the graphics, such as their Paint program in Accessories, or any Office program such as Word or PowerPoint assuming the computer doesnít crash and subsequently dump the clipboard.  Iíve also put screen shots in the Notepad.  In Paint you can save the file in a graphics format.  Then save and email them the file.    
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
I can paste the screen shot to Word, WordPad, and NotePad.  Just don't know what to do with it then, but I can take a picture of the screen and capture it that way.  Just have not spent any time fooling with it yet.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another 'nother Laptop Question??

Started by Magicman on Technical Support Topics

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 09:34:53 AM
by Magicman
xx
'nother WM success..

Started by zopi on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 07:56:23 PM
by zopi