iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: 'Nother New Laptop  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: 'Nother New Laptop
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »
It is amazing what you can learn here on the Forestry Forum.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »
Again, again?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Yup, last night....again.  Actually with every laptop that I have ever had I have occasionally had to unplug and remove the battery.  I didn't know about the button thing so if it happens again I'll give that a try.  Heck my TV box went crazy last week and I had to unplug it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
Magicman - a bit off topic but your last sentence there reminds me of a time I was visiting my in-laws and was staying on the pull out couch.  We were watching TV and my MIL went off to bed so I stayed up and watched the rest of The Final Countdown again.  They have one of those on demand TV boxes that the kids also use to play video games on and at the end of the movie I could not figure out for the life of me how to shut the Dang thing off, so I just un plugged the whole thing and went to bed.  Forgot about that little fact the next morning when I got up and at some point when I came back into the living room everyone was there trying to figure out just what was wrong with the whole system as it would not turn on - I shepishly told them that it was unplugged....ooops.... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2018, 04:28:47 AM »
It is amazing what you can learn here on the Forestry Forum.  :)
But if you just hit it for a couple seconds it goes to sleep. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »
What are you doing up this early??   :)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
I finally got tired of all the Windows trials and tribulations about 2 years ago and went Apple.  Love it, never will go back.  Super fast startup, lots of storage, never crashes, everything works together including phones, iPads, wireless printers, networks, etc.

Maybe its time to punt?  
Is it 4rth and long yet?
Recently, I set my MacBook Pro Notebook up as full time network server to share our inventory, invoicing and other business files with multiple clients and run a database real time from several nodes.  I never would have believed a laptop would have the capacity and reliability.
Never crashes and automatically backs up files to the cloud.  
There are much less stressful alternatives to Windows and PCs.  JMHO
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2018, 10:55:47 AM »
I'm just glad my IT guy eats supper here most nights. My son, lives next door and fixes computer issues all day long. Whenever I have a problem, he fixes it. About a year or 2 ago my hard drive went bad. He just bought some new fangled hardware and removed the hard drive, installed what ever it's called, loaded the programming I wanted and all was good. Whatever it's called, it is way faster, has loads more storage and was quite cheap (comparatively speaking).
I'm on a 12 yr old dell desktop, running Win 10 and Firefox. Many of my programs are 06 and 08.
My son asked a week or so if we wanted a new computer, I guess he is building a new one to replace his 3 yr old one, he wanted to know if we want it. I'm not sure, after reading all of MM's issues, but my son has had zero issues with what he has, he just "needs the best available", in his mind. Well, maybe not the best available, but at least a few steps up.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »
What are you doing up this early??   :)
That was 5:30 am local ;D. I was actually up at 4:00 am doing my monthly clean of the furnace and flu. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »

I must be an exception to some of the guys with so much PC troubles. I find a reliable brand and stick with it. I weeded out a lot of brands 20 years ago. Only reason I toss a laptop is it gets old, still works, but the software gets more and more bloated with new hardware that is faster and more memory. Years ago, they wrote good code because they had only so much horsepower and very little memory. I think they landed on the moon with a 47 kb computer. Goes to show ya what you can do with limited hardware. Oh, but it took 400,000 people to get them there in one capacity or another. :D

Dirty Harry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
All of my previous woes were with one laptop that apparently had a hard wiring or connector problem somewhere in it's bowels. 

I was encouraged to see the bit about the "hard" stop which was something that I did not know.  I have used a MacBook before and I will say that it is "different".  :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another 'nother Laptop Question??

Started by Magicman on Technical Support Topics

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 09:34:53 AM
by Magicman
xx
'nother WM success..

Started by zopi on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 07:56:23 PM
by zopi