Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Cookie question ?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Cookie question ?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
Ahhh, you Southern Gentlemen know how to swing a deal.
Very persuasive....
Hang on a minute, I'll check with my 'consigliere' team: @WDH, @YellowHammer and maybe @POSTON WIDEHEAD
Hey guys: is this a good deal?
Only one way to tell is to shake the jar and check the bubbles! 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »
 bath_smiley
Where's the Spoon?

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
Andries,

Beware of Greeks bearing horses. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »
Andries,

Beware of Greeks bearing horses.
:D :D :D
Where's the Spoon?

Offline Andries

• Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
The "Consigliere Crew" has spoken - sorry JustRight.
But that was a mighty fine offer.
Whatcha think, we could take up YellowHammer's advice to look for bubbles - at the next Georgia Project?
LT30G24
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Andries

• Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 09:26:38 PM »
By the way, my last attempt at crack-proof cookies resulted in the picture used in my avatar. 
:D  :D  :D
LT30G24
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Just Right

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
LMAO.  You bet cha.  I'll have to get a special batch just for you.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Offline dustyhat

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »
Well the Cookie customers keep coming now, the first i cut were a success ,now women are coming out of the woodwork wanting Cookies. i just cant figure out how you guys make any money at it. i start the price at three or four dollars and they start flipping there hair and smiling, batting them eyes and before i know it they drive off with a big pile of wood for a dollar a piece.
Running a custom built stationary bandmill with a slightly modded four cyl jeep go devil engine.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 02:30:35 PM »
   And when you run out and go broke you send them over to Jim Rogers I guess to buy some pine slabs.  Customer's projects pictures thread in Sawmills and Milling
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Drafthorse

• Sawyer, Blacksmith, Woodworker
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
I cut 75 for a lady last year. Cut them from Red Cedar that had dried for 4 years on log pile. The lady used them a week later for her daughter's wedding and then resold them to someone else for their wedding. Some cracked a little, but the second lady thought that added character.
Since then it seems these so called cookies have been in demand. I have learned to wedge to log in the mill at different angle to get several different shapes.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
Dusty,
No, no, no, you got it backwards, you're supposed to be the eye candy, you're supposed to bat your eyes at them, chat them up, and they're supposed to pay YOU more.   :D :D
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »
Hammer,

I have not seen a picture of Dusty. No offense intended. He may be doing good to get $1 each. :D Don't get his hopes up to an unrealistic level. ;D Besides you may be getting sympathy buyers getting your cookies. ???

I cut a walnut here a few days ago and cut the tops into cookies and cut another one today and am optimistic the tree has been dead long enough it is dry enough they may hold up without cracking. I do know the next time I cut them I am going to get my wife or granddaughter there to run the clamp while I hold the wood in place. That is the hardest part about making them for me. Once clamped the go quick an din a hurry. I have been cutting on an angle for more of an oval which are more stable and less inclined to crack than a true round cross cut.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
$1 per cookie?  Send them Hobby Lobby.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline CX3

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:00 PM »
The last cookies I cut, I packed in sawdust. Kept them for two months ( July & Aug). Then took them out, none cracked or split. Put them back in the sawdust and gave them to the customer. They were at a wedding a week later.

Where did you get the saw dust?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 08:15:58 PM »
   Is that a trick question? ???
Howard Green

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »
This lady stopped by just as I was finishing a job.  She had no log(s) but wanted cookies.

My customer thought about a couple of ERC logs that were behind his shed that he did not want nor want to have sawn.  He drug them out and we started sawing.

I asked how thick and she said "various thicknesses".  She then asked "how much"?  I told her that the logs were free and so was the sawing.  She was a very happy lady when she left with her cookies.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »
   I like her approach. As my old pastor used to quote 2nd Hesakiah 4:14 "He who asketh not, getteth not."
Howard Green

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
$1 per cookie?  Send them Hobby Lobby.
smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

If I'm going to give them away, I'll do it just because I'm the president of the company, like MM, and for some reason I think they deserve it.   

However if it's business, its $5 per cookie. ;D  And I grab the end of the log with the grapple and hold it out like a sausage, pull out and crank up the big dog chainsaw to get the customers to "Ooh and Ahh" and start slicing cookies like I'm in the Stihl chainsaw competition while they watch.  Then I bat my eyes, toss my hair, give them a smile and say "We take cash or Credit." ;D

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 11:33:51 PM »
YH,

JMHO I would suggest you not allow my customers to see me cut them with a chainsaw. Around here everybody has a chainsaw but there are few mills. Don't ever let them think they can do the same thing you can. no_no

Kind of like the old Kipling story (I think it was him that wrote it - confirmed - The Tiger's Heart) about the high ranking village hunter in India who was the only man in the village with an old musket type rifle. He got cornered and killed a man-eating tiger with his machete then shot into the wound so he had powder burns and a bullet hole on/in the skin. When a close friend asked why he did that instead of admitting he had actually killed the vicious beast with a machete he told him "Yeah, but then I would be out of work as everybody owns a machete. As long as they think you have to have a firearm to kill a tiger my job and standing in the village is secure." fudd-smiley
Howard Green

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »
I hadn't heard that story.  Good point, except they don't have my logs and most don't have my chainsaw. :D

I don't really take selling cookies too seriously, so actually tell people I'd rather sell them the log and they can take it home and work on it there.  Then typically they start talking themselves out of it, such as it would take them all day, their saw isn't sharp, doesn't cut straight, or the wife makes the executive decision for me to do it, so I ask them to pick a log, how thick do they want, and if they want ovals or rounds.  Then I ask them to stand back and start counting as the cookies drop to the ground.  If the log is a shorty, I'll just keep slicing until I'm out of wood, they get to pick the best pieces, and I put the rest on a pallet for the next customer.
My 661 drops through them fast, makes a good show throwing chips like a firehose, and it provides a little entertainment for the customers.  It's all in good fun, and gives them something to talk about on the drive home.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
cookie question

Started by mike_van on General Board

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 07:40:01 PM
by Furby
xx
Question on Finshing a Big Cookie

Started by Lud on General Woodworking

39 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 12:21:44 PM
by downsouth