Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Towing capacity  (Read 1848 times)

Offline labradorguy

• Full Member x2
  • I stand for our Anthem
    • Share Post
Re: Towing capacity
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
If the mill has brakes and you have a controller, I don't see the problem. It's not like you are driving to Wally World or something. If you're worried, go via county roads and take your time. I mean we're not even talking two tons here.... A couple days ago I hauled around 28,000lb a couple miles in hilly terrain with my F-550 and it didn't even act like I was hauling anything more than a log or two. I just put it in a lower gear and let the diesel do it's thing. I do it all the time. It won't stop on a dime and you'll be slower getting up to speed. Make sure your hitch is at the right height. If you don't know how to set it up, have someone help you. Don't tailgate.   ;D
CAT 299Dxhp, CAT 311F
Mahindra mPower85 & 6500 4wds
Ext. deck Bell's 4000, 35' Conveyor, Griz, Tumbler
F-150, F-350 and F-550
POS skidder that will be the end of me
Husqvarna 371xp and 395xp- my favs.

Offline SawyerTed

• Hi, I have a saw dust addiction and fishing pox.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
Three thousand more pounds in towing capacity - 6,500 vs 3,500.  Towing your mill with gear and a passenger should be no problem.  The 3,500 pound number wasn't workable in my mind.  I don't like towing very far at the rated limits.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Roundhouse

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 05:01:59 PM »
I've been driving, and towing with, Tacomas for 9 years. First a 2009, now a 2013, both V6 auto, double cab with a 6' bed, both with the factory towing package. This is the longest wheelbase arrangement and makes for good handling/towing. If there's a weak spot with these trucks it's probably the rear suspensions, some address this by adding helper springs, I've added air bags to the rear axle. This helps when the back is loaded or when leveling a trailer.

If I have something heavy to move (skid steer etc.) I have a F350 diesel dually in the stable that will do the job so I don't need to push the limits of my Tacoma or my luck. It has done everything I've asked however.

For moving my mill over the highway I prefer the Tacoma, I would want more seat of the pants feedback should something go wrong. I'm afraid if I moved it with the F350 I wouldn't feel a thing until I noticed sparks in my rearview.

Not as much weight as a hydraulic mill but here is my truck and mill:

The reason I put the bags on my trucks was to handle this camper but there are many uses for them the rest of the time with loads and trailers:

My "big trailer" that I'll move with light and moderate loads. You definitely feel it more than the mill but the truck does fine with this one too:

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1988 F350 dump, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Towing

Started by craigc90 on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post November 02, 2003, 05:21:13 PM
by craigc90
xx
towing a fifth wheel

Started by maple flats on General Board

16 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 01:17:45 PM
by Ironwood