iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying different species..?

Started by Bnewman712, June 05, 2018, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnewman712

Can you dry different species of wood in a kiln at the same time dh kiln? If so which ones mix and which ones dont

YellowHammer

Its usually not a good idea to mix loads.  However, it can be done successfully in specific situations.  

Genrally, the drier the mixed load wood before its put in a kiln, the better.  Species with the same general safe moisture removal rate, same color, same thickness, can be successfully put in a mixed load with lots of precautions and supervision.  

I don't recommend it unless a few "learning experiences" are tolerable.  :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The general rule is that you can mix species and thicknesses but never mix different MCs.  Even then, when mixing species, it is a compromise unless all the wood is air-dried first.  If you look at kiln schedules for air dried wood, almost all species have the same conditions under 25% MC.

There is a listing of easy-to-mix species at higher MCs in Drying Hardwood Lumber, tables 7.14 to 7.21.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I do it all the time.  However, I only start with air dried wood below 20% moisture content. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

In your manual the different species are broken down into wood groups. You can dry species in the same group together but they must be the same thickness. Also they need to be at the same moisture content, if one is drier than the rest keep it out till the others reach the same moisture content. Another important point is that you dry at the speed of the slowest drying wood species. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.
Stan
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

serg

Привет друзья!
Я хочу добавить к этой ветке информацию, мое мнение. Я думаю, что зеленый лес должен быть немедленно высушен. Конечно можно долго сушить в воздухе, но трещин много. Я сделал универсальную сушильную камеру, а не вакуум с естественной конвекцией воздуха, ранее написал на своем форуме. В этой печи отсутствуют вентиляторы, форсунки, парогенератор. Влага из дерева создает паровую рубашку, которая является сушильным агентом. Три дня назад я закончил сушку, первый такой лес, снял видео, фото, термообработку не проводил. Влажность 5-6%.Начальная влажность 25-30-40-60%.Толщина 55-60-65-70 мм дерево, вяз, клен, акация, серебристый Гуф (elaeagnus commutata), грецкие орехи, вишни, абрикосы. Усадка была 8-10 мм. период сушки 32 дня. Максимальная температура в камере составляет 93 градуса Цельсия. Не термо. На Ваши вопросы я отвечу. Ваша оценка моей работы? Извините за плохой английский. Видео говорит больше. Бунгало thermo pine. Фитобочка изготовлена из кедра. Мой друг ведет эту историю.
Сергей.

Hello friends!
I want to add to this thread my opinion. I think the green forest should be dried immediately. Of course, you can dry for a long time in the air, but there are many cracks. I made a universal drying chamber, not a vacuum with natural air convection, I previously wrote on my forum. In this furnace there are no fans, nozzles, steam generator. Moisture from wood creates a steam shirt, which is a drying agent. Three days ago I finished drying, the first such forest, took a video, photo, did not conduct heat treatment. Humidity 5-6%. Initial moisture 25-30-40-60%. Thickness 55-60-65-70 mm tree, elm, maple, acacia, silver Guf (elaeagnus commutata), walnuts, cherries, apricots. Shrinkage was 8-10 mm. drying period of 32 days. The maximum temperature in the chamber is 93 degrees Celsius. Not ther. I will answer your questions. Your assessment of my work? Sorry for bad english. The video says more. Bungalow thermo pine. Fitobochka made of cedar. My friend is leading this story.
Sergei.

ПоÑ...удевшая экзоÑ,ика из камеры - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!