The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Venison on the rocks  (Read 4403 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Venison on the rocks
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
I think genesis 9 covers that.  Cliff notes are dont kill each other, go hunt/fish/farm and hey, im not gonna flood the place again, here is a rainbow to prove it.  (Though i may mess with you a bit in 2018 just for ha ha's) 
Revelation 3:20

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »
You hit the nail on the head Mike
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 01:15:06 AM »
Tonight i took a large leg roast, threw it in a pan on tinfoil, salted and garlic powdered it.  draped it in real bacon from one of them hogs, put some butter squares on top and tossed in half an onion then wrapped it all up and cooked at 350*F until the thickest part hit 145.  I then set the roast aside to settle and put the bacon and onions in a skillet to finish off since they were still rubbery.  Sliced it up, recombined it all and threw on a side of corn.  

Dang it was good.  

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:11 PM »
I got a couple bags of deer meat out yesterday and thawed out. I soak it in apple cider ( the kind you drink) overnight. Takes the wang out of it. deepFried some up just now rolled in flour, cornmeal and seasoned salt. Yummy stuff. The rest im going to put in the crock pot with some vegtables and some smoked sausage and broth. We will see how it turns out.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
The wang  :D

I been pouring whiskey on mine.   I guess alcohol breaks down rigor mortis/lactic acids.   Dunno, tastes pretty good to me tho! 

I had 2 front shoulders in the fridge that still needed to be boned out, that turned bad and i had to toss yesterday.  Felt bad wasting it but the neighborhood wild dogs didnt mind.  Freezer was just too full.   I still need to find time to thaw and grind a bunch soon but work is busy.

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 09:39:18 PM »
The soup stew or whatever you would call it i made was good. It had deer, chicken, smoked sausage, celerey, green onions, yellow onions, carrots,  green peppers, parsley, basil, black pepper, seasoned salt, and chicken broth. It was really good. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
 This was it

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2019, 01:46:36 PM »
Speaking of "Venison on the rocks"

I've got to try some of these recipes guys. I'm moving out of the city in a couple of years.
We bought a small acreage on an island here in the PNW. Poor hunting practices over the last 
50 some years (because bambi is so cute) has led to about 3K deer on a 9 square mile island
with a 1K humans on it. :o We're almost tripping on them while we try to build our home.
Between the crab trap, fishing pole and unlimited deer meat, hoping the freezer and pantry remain full.

And I'll get to play with my new to me 372xpg

Cheers
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 09:56:48 AM »
You can make deer taste JUST like cow if you understand the fundamentals.  Rigor mortis and lactic acids take time to break down.  Beef is aged for weeks, so dont think a 2 hour old piece of deer is gonna match it.  It needs to sit in the refrigerator until the red fades to a brown and the muscle softens up. A deers forearm cannot taste as good as its hams or loins or backstraps because there is just too much tendon tissue in it that cant be removed.  So you gotta butcher em right too.  Tough pieces for burger, jerky or stew.  Only the finer cleaner cuts and chunks for grilling and frying.  The poor cuts with lots of silver skin need a long period of time simmering in liquid so they dont dry out.  You want to see 200F internal temps on that sort of stuff and then itll fall off the bone and cut with a spoon. 

Beef and pig fat taste great.  All white parts of a deer are terrible.  Lean red deer meat lacks fats to flavor when fully trimmed so you need compensation there. Butter or lard and some seasoning.  If you were raised on it salt might be fine.  If you werent or the wife is iffy on it, toss on the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder or minced garlic sauce, even BBQ sauce or ketchup and booze.  Onions go great with venison, i think sweet/red peppers do too.  For the grill, you want your backstrap pieces rubbed in oil and salt then plopped into a raging fire for 2 minutes per side.  You want an external sear and a fully rare red interior.  DO NOT cut or poke them to check.  Just trust me. 2 mins per side, then 10 mins settling on the plate.  Then eat it. Free filet minon buddy. Goes excellent with grilled potatoes and corn,  fried squash etc.  I cant wait til garden season.

Yesterday morning i had to make room in our tiny freezer and defrosted a few hunks of backstrap and some smaller leg cuts.  I took a big bowl, filled the bottom with ketchup and whiskey [for acid and alcohol to break down and soften the muscle] then salt pepper, minced garlic sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, some grill seasoning and some chipotle.  A hodgepodge of unmeasured everything.  Stirred it up and let the pieces defrost in there.

Went in cabinet, not much in there.  Hmm.   Into the crock went a can of vegetable soup, a can of corn and a can of green beans including all the liquids.  I hunked up a bag of potatoes with skin on, dumped in the bowl of meat and sauce and set it to high all day.  When we got home at 8 the house smelled like delicious meat lust as soon as the door was cracked.  I was cutting 2" thick muscle with a spoon and cant wait to cook up the leftovers.  I wonder what the rich ate last night.   ;D

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
Welp, i messed one up last night.  Neck roast, bone in.  My first try at a multiple layered muscle group with connective tissue [tendon/silver skin] between the layers.  

I made up a ketchup/booze/seasoning & water mix and dumped that in a roasting bag then defrosted the neck in it, rolling around periodically all day.  On a whim i dumped in some vinagarette salad dressing cuz i like vinegar.  Baked it in the bag about an hour on 325 or so and kept it wet.  Internal temp was different all over but too low in center and drying out exterior.  So i pulled it, sliced off a bit of the outside which tasted good, then cut into a bloody rare mess with way more tendon than im willing to chew.  Im still kinda recovering from food poisoning and the smell had my gut nervous.

I almost tossed it over the fence but sliced off the best of it, reclaimed the juices and sat that all fridge overnight in a bowl.  It is now all day simmering in a pot with some wine, water, and 2 cans of chicken noodle soup plus onions and more seasoning.  I hope to pour it on white rice and salvage the time ive put into it all.  Hate to waste an animal.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2019, 09:52:21 PM »
It worked and was excellent, chopped it with a spoon like pulled pork.  An accidental win. 

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »
Id like to figure out a good fajitas recipe or something mexican type to do with deer. I got 4 zip loc bags left.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 10:14:46 PM »
Me personally i slice a small steak into strips, fry it up with a dash of olive oil, onions and peppers.  Usually use garlic powder on everything but for that i also go heavy on chipotle and a touch of chilli powder for faint flavoring.  Im not into much heat. 

I plop that mix onto a tortilla, some shredded cheese, sourcream.  Sometimes ranch, honey mustard, sweet baby rays BBQ or a combo of them, one strip each.  Roll it up, more olive oil in the pan and toss back in for a hot sear on the buritto to brown and crispen up the flat sides then destroy it and make another.  Never any leftovers of that stuff.  You can put rice, corn, even salsa inside.  Hard to go wrong.  I bet even crunched doritos inside would taste great. 

This was above plus potato and hog jaw buritto filling.  Also great. 

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 10:40:02 PM »
Looks good
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »
Made stew twice in the past month or so from deer necks.  

This was poured over white rice and was pretty good but kinda mushy 

This one was excellent. Subtract the rice and add taters, carrots and stewed tomato.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: LIFE ON THE ROCKS (or from the rocks?)

Started by Tom on General Board

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 11:38:35 AM
by Tom
xx
Where's Da Venison

Started by chet on General Board

35 Replies
Last post December 08, 2003, 05:14:57 PM
by EZ
xx
Venison - how to cook it?

Started by RavioliKid on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

22 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 09:39:09 AM
by bl73
xx
Corned Venison

Started by WV Sawmiller on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2017, 07:38:06 AM
by petefrom bearswamp