The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Venison on the rocks  (Read 4476 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Venison on the rocks
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
Grass fed organic non gmo 99% lean and FREE.

Revelation 3:20

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
   It looks like one young man knows the real reason Bambi was put on this earth. My granddaughters all know what deer are for and I bought each of them a lifetime Hunting, Fishing and Trapping License for their first birthday so they can hunt and fish with their aging and decrepit grandpa as long as I can hobble around the woods and sit in a boat.

I took my 10 y/o granddaughter on a youth hunt last month. The night before we went her 12 y/o sister told her to shoot a big one because she wanted lots of jerky from it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »
Grass fed organic non gmo 99% lean and FREE.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
The youngster, the haunch, or both?
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
No just bambi.  The kid is an expensive blend of boogers, attitude and permanent marker.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »
   Sounds to me like "you are paying for your raising" (Old saying). :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
Probably so.  Im a crummy dad some days.  Hes turning out almost as mean as me!  

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 09:04:21 AM »
When I'm butchering a deer I use a fillet knife. It works well for deboning and I can fillet the silver off of the meat pretty easily. For the shank meat and any pieces I can't get the silver off (or don't feel like taking the time to) I throw it in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes and then make stew out of it. It comes out nice and tender.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
I don't take much time to hunt anymore, but I have a nephew who does. He got 7 last year (all legal too), 3 from my blueberry fields in the same day, one in the morning and 2 shortly before dark. He shoots them from a shooting house the DEC (New York State Dept of Conservation) guys suggested I build when they were walking my fields checking on deer damage a few years ago. That shooting house has been the demise of several deer since. It is 6x6 x7 with an octagon shape (and 8 windows, one on each face). The floor in it is 10' off the ground. Then it has a set of pressure treated stairs with a hand rail to get into it and a nice swivel chair inside. It's been there for 6-7 years and the deer feed all around it, eating blueberry buds and lush grass.
I get lots of venison to eat.
Before I started doing maple syrup back in 2003, I used to hunt several days all day and usually got 2 or 3. It's a good thing my wife and kids all like venison, even my daughter in law, who says she doesn't eat it, but if she think's it's beef it is good!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
I use a filet knife too.  I try to sort prime steaks and roasts, clear stew chunks, then flat sliced pieces with silver skin for the jerky pile and irregular shapes with SS for the grinder i just got.  And ofcoarse coyote pile of mostly white trash.  

Cleaning the grinder looks like fun.  Im waiting to have a large pile of trimmings before i go through the trouble.  

Good to hear about the boy knocken em down MF :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »

Bambi lost a leg roast in the carrot patch tonight.  I contributed a tall can, splash of whiskey, splash of apple cider vinegar, onion, potato, butter, bacon, a packet of lipton french onion, salt pepper and garlic powder.  Kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this one but it smells right so far. We're eatin it either way. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
Welp, we ate it.  I messed up by not checking the internal temp of the roast soon enough.  Recipe said 2.5 to 3 hours at 325 to hit 140 internal temp.  I checked at 2hr and it was 180, way overdone!  No idea how that happened, as a camper oven is kinda wimpy.  In hindsight the carrots needed to go in first to soften too. 

Flavor wise, it had a bit too much yeast or vinegar.. Im not saavy enough to really place it but i was a tad disappointed.  Yet my wife and son loved it so i guess its a personal preference.  Im just miffed that i nuked a nice cut of meat.  Hoping the leftovers are better which is the case i find in stews as they dissolve and thicken.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »
Overcooked is not good with any meat for sure.
I just found out that jerky doesnt need 10 and a half hours in the dehydrator 
Your above comment about venison being free doesn't hold true for me.
Even amortizing my hunting costs over my 60 plus years of hunting I like to joke that it costs me about $129.95 per pound but worth every penny.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
I feel like it pays me about $100 a pound in savings on therapy.  A thorny swamp in the night is about the only place the wife and kids wont follow me around fighting whining pestering and asking for things of me.  And the kids are pretty needy too.

It was slightly better as a leftover.  In hindsight the cider vinegar and alcohol together was just too much fermenting.  I think if i used just one or the other and didnt dry out the roast it woulda been a lot better. But since the wife liked this more than most other dishes i guess its time to try pickling/corning venison.  She loves salty vinegar flavors.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
Pete,

My jerky did need about 10 hours or so in my dehydrator at 160 degrees to get done. At least a couple of the racks did. Some were done at about 8 hours. I put the other couple of racks in 2 more hours and they were not over done. I want my jerky, which are flat strips of ground venison, to bend and almost, but not quite, break when I fold them over.

My almost 13 y/o granddaughter is quick to grab the bag and hide it from her younger sisters and her dad. I'm hoping to harvest one more deer and make it all into jerky except the neck and shoulders which are too much trouble to bone out.
Howard Green

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
Around here mountain folks make a bone in roast from the entire neck.  Wrap in bacon and lard or butter.  Have 2 in the freezer but havent tried it yet.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 03:34:32 PM »
   We brown ours in a cast iron roaster or dutch oven (Depending on size and number we are cooking for), add cream of mushroom soup, taters, carrots, an onion, and a couple of sweet potatoes, fill to the top with water, cover and cook in a slow to medium oven several hours. By the time the veggies are done the meat is ready to fall off the bone. We do same with bone in neck or shoulder or boneless chunk of the ham. Any meat left over is great for hash or sandwiches too. 
Howard Green

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
I have a relative that works at a large convention type place in Ottawa, they were preparing several large roasts for a large wedding reception when the chef released that a terrible mistake was made on the roast cooking time and they were all quite over cooked and dried out to the point that they could not be served and there was not enough time to start over so i desperation they injected as much melted butter as they could in the roast and kept them hot. In the end he said it was by far the best roast that he had ever eaten and although they have a very good reputation they had never gotten so many complements for their roast before but refused to give out the recipe.

Offline gaproperty

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Back and forth between Nova Scotia and NewBrunswick Canada
  • From Riches to Rags.
    • Share Post
    • Riches to Rags
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 06:35:22 PM »
Overcooked is not good with any meat for sure.
I just found out that jerky doesnt need 10 and a half hours in the dehydrator
Your above comment about venison being free doesn't hold true for me.
Even amortizing my hunting costs over my 60 plus years of hunting I like to joke that it costs me about $129.95 per pound but worth every penny.
lol.  That is a good one but not far from the truth.   
Ray
lostcaper.ca
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
Pete,

I learned long ago not to try to justify my hunting, fish, scuba diving, etc on cost effectiveness of the physical results, i.e. Fish and Game yield. However, I would bet if you compared it to a similar number of psychiatrist visits it would probably turn out to be a bargain. Think of it as mental therapy and it turns out to be a bargain. If you are like me I bet you find some of the most rewarding times on the water on in the woods was not necessarily the days when you caught a lot of fish or had an impressive game kill. This is especially true when you have your kids or grandkids or very dear friends and loved ones along.
Howard Green

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
Notice that I said that I joke about the apparent cost.
Of course therapeutic value far outweighs the so called monetary aspect.
I heard once that the good lord does not subtract from mans allotted life span those hours spent fishing and hunting.
Hope this is the case.
Also it is like mike said, nice and lean as well as delicious.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: LIFE ON THE ROCKS (or from the rocks?)

Started by Tom on General Board

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 11:38:35 AM
by Tom
xx
Where's Da Venison

Started by chet on General Board

35 Replies
Last post December 08, 2003, 05:14:57 PM
by EZ
xx
Venison kabobs

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 03:20:43 PM
by Weekend_Sawyer
xx
Canned Venison

Started by WV Sawmiller on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 04:14:29 PM
by petefrom bearswamp