Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Woodchucks  (Read 981 times)

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
Re: Woodchucks
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »
I scared the poor one by the kiln this morning, came around the corner and there he was not paying attention. He let out a big whistle and took right off.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 07:33:38 PM »
  Around here they really put a hurting on the soybeans, they eat them when they are first sprouting so one groundhog can keep a good size hole in a bean field. Most farmers want as many as possible eliminated and my now departed dog Ginger killed over a dozen per year in her prime.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
Wife keeps the fields mowed just about like a lawn. No hiding in the tall grass for them wood chucks. Ever mow into a place that the wood chunk had dug out thier hole with a sickle bar mower that had just been sharpened?   :o  >:(
Now they live in the stone walls. My Boo-Boo would hunt them things out. I would come and tear apart the wall. First one I had to kill,second one he turned into a killing machine right in front of me. Somehow he learned to flip it over onto it's back and bite the neck. Only took a few seconds and it was over.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »
 Ever mow into a place that the wood chunk had dug out thier hole with a sickle bar mower that had just been sharpened?
I ran one through the combine one time while cutting wheat.  I got an alarm that the trap door had been kicked open.  I crawled under the machine to reset and there were enough remnants to identify it as a groundhog. 
Wudman

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 06:17:17 AM »
They like to excavate near big rocks,tree roots,building foundations .Mine attempts to dig under my house foundation .He's persistent but the foundation is 4 feet deep with a 24" wide footer .I've filled the holes back in and the rascal digs it out again .I filled the last hole full of brick bats ,that convinced him to give up----for a moment at least .
I haven't seen him since early spring when he was high stepping with his nose in the air .I think he might have had some "romance" on his mind .My lady friend did see  him this week waddling back to his favorite hole under one of my sheds .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
DanG woodchucks

Started by bandmiller2 on General Board

31 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 06:27:58 PM
by SPIKER