iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 pth grapple/winch

Started by Rob30, April 01, 2018, 08:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

Any experiences with grapple/winch combos? It looks to me like the best of both worlds. Probably 60-70% of the logs I gather I can grab with a clamp. But I do have some that I need a winch to retrieve. I am gathering firewood and some saw logs. My property has been logged years ago, the logging trails are still in good shape.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

I have a grapple stump bucket with a winch ontop for my bobcat and its what you expect.. Grab whats easy with grapple, and what aint with a choker.  
Praise The Lord

47sawdust

Check in with forum sponsor Farma.They sell Krpan grapples made in Slovenia.Very well made and good folks to deal with.They are located in Waterloo,Quebec
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

DDW_OR

my two cents.
Farmi Winch. pull logs to tractor, then hook choker chain to winch and pull 2 to 8 logs to landing
11,000 pound pull

"let the machines do the work"

bill m

I had one for many years and in the right setting they work great.                                                      For gathering firewood and a few saw logs it should work fine.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Rob30

I have three tractors, two old belarus which I like to use in the bush because they are old belarus tractors. However I tend to use my new MF 2635, much better to handle in the bush area, but I don't like driving the new tractor in the bush. If I had a winch I would probable use the MF more often, because I could stick to the skidder trails. 
I like the idea of towing out 5-8 trees at a time, but I mostly log in the winter and I don't think any of the tractors would haul more then 4-5 medium size maples at a time. I figure I can haul 3-4 trees in a grapple, even if I only haul 2-3 at a time I think it would be quicker because I would not be getting on and off the tractor so many times. Less on and off the tractor would also be safer. That being said I do know winches are far more available. 

711ac

Here's mine.

How do you post a bigger pic?

mike_belben

I can only see a thumbnail on your pics.. Any idea why?  Would really like a closer look. 
Praise The Lord

711ac

How do I post it full size?

Jeff

A better question is how the heck did you post a thumbnail?  Have you watched the video on how to post photos?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

711ac

I just "click & drug" from "my gallery" Jeff, where's the video?
I'm more of a reader than a talker here. :D

711ac

I found the video, let's see if......

nope, clicking ''add to post" get's me no where, again. That's how I ended up dragging the thumbnail to my reply.

Jeff

Watch the video and follow she instructions exactly. It will work. You must open the gallery from your post.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

711ac

I hate computers (because I can barely turn the EDITED BY ADMIN thing on).

but I did build this contraption.

Well I clicked on the image in my gallery then "drag" it into my reply. 8)

711ac

mike_belben

Boy that gets it done, nice work.  Something similar planned for my dozer if i can ever get the parts i have sitting up north (and fix reverse)

Whats with the telescopic tube?  Just cylinder protection?   Its not a squirt boom is it? 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Now that's a machine!! How many hp you got there? Looks like a grapple on the front too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

711ac

Quote from: mike_belben on April 06, 2018, 09:17:35 PM

Whats with the telescopic tube?  Just cylinder protection?  
You got it Mike!

Before I decided (actually my wife ;D) to add the grapple & rotator my plan was to hitch to the butt plate while lowered, short chain, then lift the hitch & swing the plate. This puts the log over 3' off the ground. I was concerned that pulling from "up high" by the cable might be too high and too far back for my tractor. 

711ac

Quote from: thecfarm on April 06, 2018, 09:46:10 PM
Now that's a machine!! How many hp you got there? Looks like a grapple on the front too.
Thanks tc, 95hp

mike_belben

You better hang on to that woman.  Clever way to make the telescope.
Praise The Lord

Pat Del Monte

Quote from: 711ac on April 06, 2018, 09:03:56 PM
A little closer look

Quote from: 711ac on April 06, 2018, 08:57:27 PM
I hate computers (because I can barely turn the EDITED BY ADMIN thing on).

but I did build this contraption.

Well I clicked on the image in my gallery then "drag" it into my reply. 8)

That's a fabulous piece of equipment. I would love one of those. Best of both worlds

maple flats

I can't tell from the pics but does that rig use a full under carriage frame or are you picking the weight just using the top link? If just the top link, be careful how much you lift, I heard of at least one tractor in the 120 HP range break in half using a 3 point hitch back hoe, too much pull on the top link and the tranny broke where it bolted to the bell housing.
We used to pull lots of stems using a Fransgard V4000 on a 70 HP Belarus. Crude shifting but monsterous pulling capacity. We limbed them and then pulled 4-6 tree length stems, mostly soft maple (with some ash) out. Usually had bucket on front filled with blocks to help hold it down, plus had full suitcase bracket too. After that, we switched to a single horse in the wetter areas. We also had home built duals on the front, tractor front tire then a 8x20 truck snow off an old F600
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

711ac

Quote from: maple flats on June 19, 2018, 07:36:18 AM
I can't tell from the pics but does that rig use a full under carriage frame or are you picking the weight just using the top link? If just the top link, be careful how much you lift, I heard of at least one tractor in the 120 HP range break in half using a 3 point hitch back hoe, too much pull on the top link and the tranny broke where it bolted to the bell housing.

I built a hyd. top link to help the grapple's "travel" arc. I'm counting on that or the single braid hoses to being the weak link.  :o  I'm only gathering firewood from thinning my 10 year old logged fairly hard woods so I'm dealing with small stems.

Thank You Sponsors!