AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: How did that fence get there?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: How did that fence get there?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »
Just curious how tall are these trees most of you guys are dealing with?
  The ash in this case was probably 75-80 ft tall. The big poplar that landed on my Logrite was well over 100'. The Allanthus on the power line was probably 70-80 ft tall.

Most of the time I am also cutting on a steep slope. The trunk of the tree often lands 10-20 ft from the stump it was cut off.
Oh ok short stuff then, the last steep patch I cut we quartered everything out butt up hill and if the tree was larger then the bar you were up on spring boards to reach your cut.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
   May be short for you but reasonably typical for hardwoods on the east coast I'd speculate. It sounds like you may be talking about cutting big softwood/conifers like spruce or fir or such. 

Nothing on my place has the big butt flare requiring use of a springboard or such. My grandfather use to girdle big cypress down in Fla and had to use springboards and such to get above the big flare area. They wanted to kill the trees before felling so they could cut them and float them out during high water periods. I don't know if anybody girdles trees for that purpose any more in the USA or Canada. Probably been a while since anybody rafted logs down our rivers.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 08:07:11 PM »
Yes bigger Doug fir, the only time youll see us get up on boards is a far side is beyond your reach. Normally spruce out here youll see stair steps put in the sides the guys will use instead of boards. Has anyone here played with red alder before?

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 09:40:01 PM »
I try to keep my stuff far away from what is falling. And I do mean far!! I will drop off the saw and needed equipment to do the cutting and drive the tractor far away.
I have backed into a few trees and wondered who put the tree behind me. ::)
I did pick a stump way up high once so it would stay in the bucket. But that did not work. It fell out of the bucket onto the hood. The tears was hitting the ground before the stump hit the hood. :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 08:57:57 AM »
The first time we lit a big pile of Cedar (Stacked and packed with skid steer and grapple), I told dad to keep the truck back a ways as it would burn hot considering smaller piles wed burned.  We both thought we were far enough

We moved the truck back twice and were thinking about doing it again when the fire finally hit its peak and started settling down.  ;)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Matt601

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »
Last month I was cutting some sweet gum off a pond levee letting them fall across a fence row in to a field. I would cut on on one side and as my son would cut it up and they would skid it to the truck. When they was doing that I cut another one or two in the other end of the levee. Well Brodie rode back with Gavin on the Tractor to get some water out the truck he left a 2 day old Husqvarna 372 sitting in the top of the last one they skidded. Well I moved back to that end of the levee and cut a 20" sweet gun and yep busted it all up. It landed right on top of that saw. $800 bucks down the toiltet! Needless to say he is back running a old Rancher 455. Mark it up lesson learn!
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 10:11:56 AM »
Owwwwwchhh.  That burned.
Revelation 3:20

Offline coalsmok

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 09:43:03 PM »
I had purchased a lot and was clearing it off for a house site. Just bought a new echo saw and started on this project. About 8 trees in I had a tree twist and hang up in its neighbors. No big deal I thought, just cut it of a little ways up and it will slide right out. Nope done that three times and finally turned my bar into a u shape when the trees angle got to steep.
 That tree ate a new bar and two chains before I got it out. Due to the landscape and walk in access cutting the other tree or pulling it down wasnt an option. Quick lesson on how important wedges and knowing how to properly cut a tree is.

Offline enigmaT120

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »
Yes bigger Doug fir, the only time youll see us get up on boards is a far side is beyond your reach. Normally spruce out here youll see stair steps put in the sides the guys will use instead of boards. Has anyone here played with red alder before?
I've cut several down, just for firewood as I didn't have enough for a log load.  Just about 2 feet diameter.  I was worried about them barber chairing or something like that but they all went down nice and were not rotten in the middle.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
I've cut several down, just for firewood as I didn't have enough for a log load.  Just about 2 feet diameter.  I was worried about them barber chairing or something like that but they all went down nice and were not rotten in the middle.
One trick I was taught well cutting alder is to get the top to just barely move when taking your face out, then a fast even across back cut. Now for the super leaner alder the one that come off the hill side falling it till they search for sun light coos back cut them and run like no other.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
fence posts for wooden fence

Started by jkj on General Board

21 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 06:53:05 AM
by Dana
xx
Anyone using "Invisible Fence" brand electric fence?

Started by Piston on General Board

14 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 05:17:51 AM
by crtreedude
recycled
Fence

Started by Bill Gaiche on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 08:07:59 PM
by Bill Gaiche
xx
ERC Fence