Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Woodmizer eg 200  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Woodmizer eg 200
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 08:08:20 AM »
Thank you Peter . I talked to Marty Parsons for a couple minutes this morning and he told me he knew a few customers had modified the machine to cut thicker the way yours has been modified.  It's good to know that if the need arises the edger can be modified to accommodate much thicker boards.  Thanks again 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »

I've modified my edger to cut 4 inch. Getting to three inch is relatively easy as its just enlarging the opening. That last inch was a bit of work as you can see the kickback lifter shaft is in the way. Also geared it down with a new set of pulleys and belt. Starting the cut is hard as the hold down rollers have to lift quite a way but when I need alot of 4x4 cut outta small logs, I two side the logs on the mill and after accumulating a whack of 4 inch flitches, I get the first one started and run continious end to end till they are done. It is more productive than 4 siding on the mill.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 12:11:54 PM »
Mine is not cut up,   Percy, your the man, :D :D :D :D :D
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
Mine is not cut up,   Percy, your the man, :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, I think I took some flak way back when I first did this...that poor old edger dont owe me a dime Got it new in 2002 and its on its third motor....I have to make sure my blades are sharp with the 4 inch especially. Here it is today eating a three inch Yellow Cedar flitch. Motor has the hormones to cut it easy. My exhaust blows on the front panel making the poor old thing look like a dogs breakfast....but it gets it done. I love that old thing.... 

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Percy , thank you for posting the picture and video . That thing looks like it eats pretty fast.  What motor is on it?

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »
Percy , thank you for posting the picture and video . That thing looks like it eats pretty fast.  What motor is on it?
This one is a 28 hp Subaru with EFI. Its the best one so far. It came with a 25 hp Kohler, carberated version. Lasted forever with only one head gasket job and bent pushrod from over reving, my bad, I would run over and push on the governor lever whenever I was in a tough cut. Then a used honda 24 hp. Was wimpy but ran great for a long time. I got the Subaru at Princess Auto(Canadas Harbour Freight) for about half the price of a 28hp Kohler. Its the most powerful engine I had on this edger...Next motor  will be the 38 HP EFI Kohler. I hate edger jamups.....seriously hampers production.... :D

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »
Hey glad to hear youre getting an edger, especially awesome that it has a diesel.  What is it a Yanmar?  how many ponies?  I have to admit I talk on the phone quite a bit while Im sawing, its nice having hands free telecommunication.. I just have to talk really loud, making me look silly to whoevers watching lol
Boy, back in my day..

Offline PAmizerman

• Full Member x2
  • Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
Busybeaver what size blades are in the edger you will be getting? I was on WM website last night and I believe it said they are using 10" blades now. If that is the case you may not have enough blade to modify it to cut thicker if you were thinking of doing that down the road.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Traverse 6035 telehandler and a lot of back breaking work!!

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
It does say 10", but that would surprise me. You could probably put 14" in, but they are a chunk of change.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »
It does say 10", but that would surprise me. You could probably put 14" in, but they are a chunk of change.
Aint that the truth.  I think mine, carbide, are $150/ea. 
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 09:33:36 AM »
Percy, I've had a couple Subaru motors over the years and also have been happy with them. 4x4 I'm not even sure what diesel they are using.  I've talked to so many company's  lately I can't remember.  I think it's a kohler 21 horse. Pa mizerman, Dave  I think they are coming with 10in blades now, if you look on the wm website it says 10" in the description but list 14" in the specs. I think to get a thicker cut I'll have to open the throat up wider and buy a set of 14" blades. 

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
Well the edger is more than halfway back here from Pennsylvania.  Dad sent a few pics and confirmed that it is a 24 hp yanmar diesel. Happy about that , I much prefer the yanmar to the kohler. I see a lot of yanmar diesels around the marina and I've never heard an owner say a bad thing about them. Here she is in stunning woodmizer orange.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »
Mmm she so purdy!
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
Very nice,  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) smiley_beertoast
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 08:51:28 PM »
Talk about colors matching, I have a orange sawmill with a green and grey offbearing conveyor feeding a green green (Tom) chain, feeding a red edger, and a blue resaw.  And I wear a white shirt that has no collar
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 10:51:10 PM »
Doug and Peter yes very Purdy and very nice. As far as colors matching I'd take whatever tool is available and suited to the task at hand. As far as shirts, I rarely wear one around in the summer unless I leave the house or have a guest over. My dad and uncle had a safe trip and I got her home and in the barn. First impressions,  this thing is built like a tank and very heavy for its size.  I didn't have any flitches handy but I did have some 4/4 hard maple boards that I had cut and stickered a few weeks ago to take a few test passes with. This machine is loud and angry and fast. So far I'm pretty impressed. It was a real pain getting the outfeed roller table off the top of the machine by myself due to the size and weight but wouldn't be too bad with help. The only thing I don't like so far is the outrigger jacks. I don't plan on going portable with this machine but if I was first thing I'd do is try to get some of those nice fine adjust rigs like the 70 comes with. I've liked most jobs I've had and always like getting new tools but this milling bug has got me more excited about doing hard work than anything I've experienced before.  Here she is in all her bright orange glory ready to eat wood for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »
Found another pleasant surprise regarding the new edger today. The boy wanted to see what was hiding under her hood so I told him to figure how to open it up. He is a smart kid and I've been trying to teach him how to turn wrenches for a couple years now.  He looked at the machine for about 15 seconds and said looks like i just gotta take these couple bolts out hand me the 1/2 inch. It's not complicated but for a ten year old I was impressed. I had to break one of the 4 bolts loose for him. So to my amazement,  we opened the blade housing cover and sure enough 14 inch blades.  This really surprised me because two different woodmizer sales people told me it has 10 inch blades. The website contradicts itself and says 10 inch on one page and lists 14in in the specs.  I pointed this out to the sales people and was told the 14inch was a misprint and was assured it would come with 10 inch. I looked over the machine and for the life if me can't figure out why woodmizer wouldn't just open up the housing opening to increase capacity.  The only thing I can think of is maybe they feel that running thick material might be too hard on the engine or machine itself. At any rate modification looks very simple and if the need arises I'll be opening her up like other members have.  

Also the website specs a 21 hp diesel that I was told I was getting not the 24hp i received so really a double bonus.  Bigger blades and bigger better motor than what I was quoted. Can't beat that

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »
How easy will it be to change the blades?
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Busybeaver

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »
Bruno, it looks easy to change blades as far as a person with a little mechanical ability would have no problems.  It's not a split stobe blade so they will have to come off the shaft and be realigned. It's one of those technically simple things to do but a little time consuming.  When the time comes I'll give my ten year old a quick rundown and hand him the tools to get her done.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »
Wait til Marty reads this and finds out where the 14" 24hp machine is that a customer is coming to pick up! :o
;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woodmizer hydraulic mill and Woodmizer Edger

Started by Keith Edge on For Sale

0 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 08:11:51 AM
by Keith Edge
xx
Woodmizer id help

Started by arkansas on Sawmills and Milling

39 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 09:17:03 AM
by sparks