TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Advice on post sizing  (Read 511 times)

Offline jfruge

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Advice on post sizing
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am in the planning phases of building a timber frame shop. Location is on the gulf coast in Louisiana. About 40 miles inland. No snow down here. I plan on doing a 24x40 gable style. Bents spaced 8 ft. 16 feet of the shop will be a man cave portion. Will have a cathedral ceiling exposing the beams. Stairs will be there to access a loft which will be over the shop portion. The shop portion will be the the remaining 24 feet of the shop. In the future I plan on putting a lean to car port on the side using cypress for the post and beams. My roof will be standard asphalt shingles. I live in a subdivision so we can't have a metal roof. My siding will be a wainscoting stone veneer with hardie plank all the way to the top.

My question is what size post should I use. Would 6 x 6 be enough? For my tie beams I would go with a 6 x 10. Or do I need to step it up to 8 x 8? As far as the bent goes I would have a center post at 12 ft. The truss style for the loft would be queen post. I plan on setting this structure on a finished slab with connectors. I am also stumped on rafter sizing and spacing. I've thought about 12 and 10 foot bent spacing but 8 ft. spacing is what best suits my floor plan. I will be using yellow southern pine because it is local and easy to get down here. I figure the shorter spacing of bents would add more support.

Thanks for any advice,

James

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Advice on post sizing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:31:15 AM »
It might work, you'd need to run the loads and see if there is enough wood for joinery. In that style of loft it usually has either clearspan below with a truss or runs 2 rows of posts. This is a sketch for a local barn repair a friend is working on, it is about 25x40 and is pretty typical around here;

Offline jfruge

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »
Than you. I've used your calculations in the tool box. Very helpful. I plan on putting my top plate about 3 feet over my tie beam to give me a little more room for storage in the loft. I've seen a lot of diagrams for joints using larger post. Is their any diagrams on this forum for joints with 6x6 post? I know the tenon has to be an 1 1/2 inch wide.

Offline canopy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »
It's good to use 8" posts minimum for comfortable joinery. Consider for instance 2 knee brace mortises across from each other. Of course joints could be staggered or stubbed, but I also don't find the appearance of posts less than 7" aesthetically pleasing as they appear undersized even though structurally sound.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need advice on sizing posts

Started by Two shed on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 05:34:44 PM
by Magicman
xx
Book with post/beam sizing and span tables?

Started by evjim on Timber Framing/Log construction

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 08:32:23 AM
by Don P
xx
Mortise and Tenon sizing advice

Started by cdnwhaler on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2014, 09:04:40 AM
by Jim_Rogers
xx
Need some advice on beams and post.