iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Building my version of an SLR. (HELP)  (Read 2263 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Building my version of an SLR. (HELP)
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »
No youd have to pair it with a 0-90v DC reversible gear motor. New theyre pretty spendy, $300-600.

All conveyors ive worked on that used electric motors were running a gear drive, usually right angle worm style like a braden winch.  Ive seen between 20:1 and 200:1 ratio depending on application.  boston gear was a common name for those. Surplus center probably has a bunch of them.

You can run a VFD on a single phase motor.  Youd need a 2hp rated vfd with 1ph input to 1ph output.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
you can run single phase VFD's they do not need to be 3 phase. Checkout youtube for VFD drill press. That will at least give you some info and show it can be done.

Edit: I missed mikes post, I agree with him but think you would want 3hp VFD to match the motor.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »
Hes got a 2hp motor.  Definitely wise to run a bigger vfd vs a smaller one than needed.  

Just beware vfd can only overspeed or underspeed a percentage. Youd have to push off to stop the conveyor (and i dont know how happy they would be getting E-stopped.  Maybe lose presets? No clue there)

zero to 90vdc controllers can go from stall to full speed and anywhere in between by turning the dial.  Wont mind an E stop at all.  

Just things to consider.  Could you put a temporary hand crank on this edger to test it out in wood and video the pulleys with marks to count rpm?  Thatd give you an idea on gearing and personality so to speak. Figure whether youre gonna be flying wood through or needing slow and high torque with a top tension roller.  

Btw sprockets with blunted teeth on a weighted floating arm riding over the top of the planks would probably help keep things tracking straight and maybe reduce kickback.   Bicycle sprockets have a one way clutch that would let wood feed in but not fly back out.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
oops he did say 2hp. I dunno where I saw 3 hp? maybe I was thinking of my vertical mill?

The videos I have seen on the VFD with the dial you can go to stop or full speed.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Well, there you have it.  Technology improves fast.  Ive used one or two but theyre probably ten years back tech by now.

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »
 Thanks guys. Been kind of busy. Have a couple jobs to get out and haven't had much time to mess with the project. The sprocket roller sounds pretty good. Any type of a ratchet gear should do the trick. With enough weight or hold down tension. I did find the reduction gear is 30 to 1.  That's leaving me at approx. 91ft per min.. Hopefully I can get back to the project Monday. I new I could get some good ideas here a whole lot faster than I could come up with them.     

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 03:22:02 AM »
"Over running clutch" is probably the best search term for a one way rotary motion roller type device when shopping around.  All sorts of them out there.  Altho it just donned on me..

Hay rake tines may work great.   I use them for a stop on my limb processor.. Turns out they hold the piece and then let it feed right through when the next one pushes it.  But i absolutely cannot reverse that piece unless i take the tine up manually.

I tack welded them to a 1" bar stock which is welded to a vice grip.  Itd be fairly easy to rig up an adjustable frame work that just uses jam screws to maintain the height and attack angle of some tines to maintain pressure on the belt.

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 09:23:24 PM »
 I didn't mean to start this post, and then abandon it. I have had a few personal set backs that has slowed down the build. I have been to the foot doctor a couple times with plantar fac.. Then the ENT, then sleep study. Next will be a c pap. starting tomorrow. That was just the small stuff. My BIL was in the hospital with congestive heart failure for a few days. Then my 85 year old mother passed away on the 18th. To spite her age it was unexpected. Truth be told she has been more ready for this than I have. Which brings some comfort.  

I have made a little progress on the saw.

I got some sprockets put on to reduce the speed. I haven't checked to see what the exact speed is yet. I think I'll try
speeding it up with some sprockets that hat I have for a test.

I did a few test runs and with a little adjusting on the blade it was working by the 4th run.

I built the hold down rollers out of some  unused steel rollers from the conveyers. They reach all the way across the conveyer so hoping they will work as anti kick back also.

I have covers on the chains and sprockets.

I still need to hook up a dust blower. It has been setting by the saw long enough that my grandson said it already works as a dust collector. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 09:13:18 AM »
Sorry to hear about the recent turmoil.  Would love to see more of the machine in action.

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
 This thing is like a 30' work bench. If I'm not working on the actual machine it gets covered with junk pretty fast. I'll try to get back to it pretty quick and get some pics of the finished machine. It's running at 25' per min. I think I can speed it up some for 1" SYP and ERC. Thanks for the kind words. Now my brother is in the hospital with blood pressure troubles. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
036 version questions

Started by zach613 on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2016, 09:35:30 PM
by ZeroJunk
question
Sketchup: Which version

Started by ckprivette on Timber Framing/Log construction

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 11:03:57 PM
by JohnM
xx
New Mobile Version?

Started by Plankton on Technical Support Topics

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2016, 11:01:48 AM
by Plankton
xx
Building a Kiln Part 4 Building Construction Updated video..

Started by 123maxbars on Drying and Processing

28 Replies
Last post August 08, 2017, 08:20:41 PM
by 123maxbars