TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Michigan Forester Jobs  (Read 1308 times)

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Michigan Forester Jobs
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:20:32 PM »
Mister Ron Scott, and anyone else with information on this subject.

I am curious about forester jobs in Michigan and surrounding areas mostly based on the fact that I grew up in the midwest and I would be happy to move closer to my parents.

I recently vacationed in the Traverse City area and noticed that there is definitely forest management going on in the area on the private side.

I believe that there is a professional qualification for foresters in Michigan now (correct me if I am wrong), but I am having a hard time figuring out what getting that would entail. I am a Registered Professional Forester in CA if that has any transferability to the midwest, especially Michigan.

Entertain me on why this is a good or bad idea to consider, and if there are even jobs to get that would be at least a somewhat lateral move (cost of living figured in).

Obviously I would have some locality learning curve to tackle. I don't imagine that would be a problem after dealing with CA's rules and regulations.

Any comments are appreciated.    

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
Re: Michigan Forester Jobs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
Yes, there is a professional qualification for foresters in Michigan. As a minimum you need to be a graduate of a 4 year forestry school certified by the Society of American Foresters (SAF).

Michigan is currently revising or updating its forester registration to a licensing requirement. It pretty much follows the requirements of the SAF Forester Certification.
I would recommend that if not already that you:
  • Become a member of SAF
  • Become a member of the Consulting Foresters of America, Inc.
  • Become a member of the Michigan Consulting Foresters Association

LARA - Foresters

Employers of Foresters in the Lake states of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are
the U.S. Forest Service, State DNR's, Private industries, Consulting Forester Companies, etc. 

The more experience that you have, the easier it is for you to become established. 
~Ron

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 11:10:39 PM »
Thankyou for the reply Ron. 
I was a member of SAF for a few years, but stopped renewing because they seem to focus on eastern issues almost exclusively. Maybe I should pick that back up.

As far as the new licensing requirements go, I have not been able to determine much. Where would I find actual state law governing Mich Forestry rules. I know the USFS doesn't use state law here in CA, so that is no doubt the same there. 

My question I guess is, I have a professional license in CA, and graduated from an SAF accredited school. Is that transferable to Mich requirements or would I have to take another exam? Pass SAF magazine tests for points? 

The Lara application requires you to list the county you have worked. Would that make an out of state guy come work just to have a county to list?

Sorry if I ramble on, and thanks for the information.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
Your training and background as a professional forester graduating with a 4 year degree and working at least 5 years under a professional forester would pretty much be transferable to Michigan. The more you become known in Michigan forestry circles the easier it is to find work as a forester.

Michigan Society of American Foresters - Home

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:13:49 PM »
Thank you for the response Ron. That was my take as best as I could tell. I just figured I would ask given I knew there were some folks that post that are in the area.

A job in Michigan would be pretty cool if I could get one, because it would get me back closer to home.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
From MDNR News 7/30/18
Michigans Registered Forester program moves to DNR

Landowners who need help with their forests should soon find that Michigans Registered Forester program has an up-to-date online database and a new complaint review process.
Those changes are part of a restructuring process as oversight of the registered forester program moves to the DNR from the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
The new program is the ideal source for landowners to find highly qualified foresters to help them manage their forestland, said Deb Begalle, chief of the DNRs Forest Resources Division. Begalle will be responsible for appointing a seven-member board to oversee the program.
The voluntary program has undergone a four-year restructuring process that includes required continuing education for registered foresters, appointment of the board and a moderate fee increase to help pay for maintaining and promoting the program.
A bill introduced in 2014 in the state Legislature would have abolished the registered forester program, but Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed it after protest from foresters across the state. Snyder signed a law in April of this year to move oversight of the revamped program to the DNR.
This is a voluntary program that encourages higher standards for Michigans foresters, Begalle said. Nearly two-thirds of Michigans 20 million acres of forest are privately owned; the state manages an estimated 4 million acres of public forest.
Learn more about the Registered Forester program at DNR Forest]michigan.gov/forestry[/url] under Private Landowners. Questions on the current or future program? Email Brenda Haskill at haskillb@michigan.gov.[/color]
~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »

RE:  FORESTER VACANCY CONSERVATION DISTRICT 

Presque Isle & Cheboygan Conservation Districts - District Forester

The Presque Isle and Cheboygan Conservation Districts (CD) are seeking a Forestry Assistance Program (FAP) District Forester. This position provides private landowners with technical information regarding forestry, wildlife habitat, and related natural resource concerns so that they may make informed decisions about the use and management of their forestlands. The Presque Isle CD will be the employer of record with day to day administrative supervision provided by the District Manager and annual position activities guided by the FAP Advisory Team. Primary office space for the District Forester is located at the Presque Isle CD office in Rogers City, MI. This position requires a minimum of a B.S. in Forestry. This is a state-grant funded position that is renewed annually.  
Job Description

Application Deadline:  Will remain open until filled. Please send your cover letter and resume to presqueisle.cd@gmail.com or mail them to: Presque Isle Conservation District, 658 S. Bradley Hwy., Rogers City, MI 49779.
~Ron

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »
Ron, thank you for posting all of these opportunities.It really is helpful to have someone that is so informed about the area. I hope to get there someday soon. 

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »

RE:  LONGYEAR FORESTER VACANCY

Location in Copper Country.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=68c39f03f4171734&from=ser

Longyear is looking for an experienced forester to manage company lands and purchase standing timber in the Houghton/Keweenaw/Ontonagon/Baraga Counties of Michigan. This position is based out of our South Range
~Ron

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »

RE:  FAP FORESTER OCEANA-MUSKEGON-NEWAGO
Application deadline: 14 September

The Forestry Assistance Program provides private landowners with technical assistance and information regarding forestry, wildlife habitat, and related natural resource concerns, so that they may make informed decisions and implement sound strategies regarding the use and management of their forestlands. Primary office space for the Forestry position is located at the Oceana Conservation District office in Shelby, Michigan. The service area includes Oceana, Muskegon and Newaygo counties. A degree in forestry is required for this position. Target start date is 1 October 2018.

See attached or visit our website to see a full job description and information on how to apply. 

Suzie Knoll

Executive Director

Oceana Conservation District

(231) 861-5600

OceanaConservation.org
~Ron

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The Michigan Forester Newsletter

Started by Ron Scott on Forest Education

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 05:10:41 AM
by Aidas Survila
xx
The Michigan Forester Magazine

Started by Ron Scott on Forest Education

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2016, 07:23:56 PM
by Ron Scott