TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Woodmizer LT30 1986 Model  (Read 1954 times)

Offline badger1

• 715 transplant to the Twin Cities
    • Share Post
Woodmizer LT30 1986 Model
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:49:09 AM »
Looking at purchasing 1986 LT30. Clean, itís been repainted, not used all that much. Has the Kohler 16Hp motor on it. Iíve cut a couple logs with it and seemed fine.

I was looking at the Woodmizer website and the only real advice they give for buying a used mill is to check engine oil, if low, walk away. Thatís kind of a no-brainer.

Can anyone tell me what the official diameter and length it will cut? I didnít find that on the WM website and I have a rough idea of maybe 30Ē diameter and 16í length?

Looking through the forum, the only other recommendations that I read had to do with the slides? I donít know if Iím using the correct terminology or not, but from what I understand itís what the ďtrolleyĒ rides down as the saw travels down the track? Is this correct? How bad is too bad? Is it fixable?

I found the manual on the WM website and it looks like you can pretty much get ANY part for the thing you can imagine, they have all poart numbers and exploded drawings are superb that makes it reassuring that if there was an issue I could get the parts needed even though its an older model and repair/replace myself.

I am assuming that the engine would be the highest cost potential replacement item. Are there other big ticket things to consider? The 1986 model is about as plain jane as you can get, and honestly thats what I like about it. Very simple desing, belts, pulleys and a couple electric motors. 

When/If I pick it up, besides the obvious (oil change, filters) anything else I should consider? I just planned to change all the fluids and grease er up well, check out the jerks, wire connections and belts etc. I think the only things Iím not familiar with are the bearings, slides, chain etc. Anything to do with the blade placement/ bearings/slides etc that is a deal breaker? Like I said I'm not afraid of normal wear items I can get from WM and repair/replace myself, just want to make sure that there isnt anything that could be a huge expensive repair (ie. $1k or more) and I dont "think" there is as long as the engine has been taken care of, and I think it has. The rig looks clean overall.

Iíll also add that the saw would be for my own use only, small projects, nothing major, just cutting some things for myself, timbers and maybe live edge projects for friends etc. No intention of doing it as a side business. I also have access to a tractor w/ loader and skid steer for lifting logs onto deck.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm hoping to get the "go-ahead" from you guys more experienced with the WM mills and go pick it up and get sawing! Just want to double check with you fellas before I pull the trigger. 

Contact me via PM, willing to help with projects for more experience

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Woodmizer LT30 1986 Model
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
It will cut 16 feet but the log has to be placed in exactly the right place.  Yes 30 inches but I prefer 25 as a max.   
stihl ms241cm ms290  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several Logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
badger1:
Go ahead and pull the trigger it's only money.
I believe the LT30 was rated for a 17' max length log, and the LT40 was rated for a 21' max length.
To do those lengths you have to remove the bumpers and place the log perfectly and hope it does not move when you rotate it.  On my LT40 anything over 20'-6" requires either the chainsaw or the extension bed.
The max log diameter spec was either 30" or 36" diameter, but the max width board is close to 24" on my 2005 mill.
Make sure that the drive belt(s) is/are properly tensioned before starting to try and saw.
Wishing you the best.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline jb616

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 07:31:08 AM »
I have an '84 that I restored this winter and I love it. Mostly for hobby and friends but I just finished a job for 30 logs that was mostly cherry, some elm, and some hickory.  keep in touch with Wood mizer as they have very good information for you. Mine has a 14hp Kohler and I am impressed with what the motor can do.  just run the saw head up and down the track without a log to ensure that it goes smoothly and works in every speed, use the up/down to make sure that it works well and that the motor starts up and runs well. That will cover about 90% of what you need to know.  Feel free to message me as I have replaced all the bearings on mine and have totally gone through the whole machine. 

Offline beav

• Full Member x2
  • got any logs?
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
I had a '85 lt40. I sold it and got an '87 lt40hd when they came out, which has provided me with 30+ yrs. of trouble free service. I would inspect the rails(that the carriage rides on) carefully for rust pitting. Any imperfections would telegraph and multiply to the carriage causing uneven cuts. A difficult repair. Keep coated with wd40 or something to keep It nice if you do buy it.
Prolly eyeball the frame for straightness as well, support equipment and falling logs can sure tweak things.
Anything else is probably an easy fix.
Wood mizer has tweaked  the details, but have kept the same general design for the last 30+ yrs. It still works.

Offline corke

• Share Post
    • EX-FACTORY
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:28:16 AM »
It will cut 16' 4" long, with a board width of 24". That means you can usually square a 30" log, but depending on the shape, sweep, knots or other defects, some are easier than others. And as others have mentioned, when cutting maximum length logs, you have to have the log placed in the exact position. On this year mill, there are no bumpers or other things that need to be removed to cut the full length. 

Offline jb616

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »
I am currently making modifications to be able to saw down to the last inch. In stock form you can only get down to 2.5 to 3 inches. 

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 06:39:56 PM »
believe the LT30 was rated for a 17' max length log

No, it is not. 16 foot maximum with very little wiggle room. If it is a couple inches longer or not cut square you may not be able to either get the blade started into it, or if you do, you won't be able to get it out.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.

Offline badger1

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas!

I pulled the trigger and bought the mill! I have used it before, cut a few logs last summer and it worked well. I will pick it up this weekend. 

Thanks for the heads up on things to check, overall I think its in very decent shape. It has been repainted and I dont think it was ever worked very hard. Hobby sawing only, the gentlemen (now in mid 80's) didnt saw full time, just his own projects occasionally and I dont think that was all that often either. 

I plan on towing it back home, but will check tires for weather checking and plan to repack the bearings on site before making the trip back home (3 hours). 

I'll get in contact with those above who offered the info regarding bearings. Once I get it home I'll go through it and "freshen" up worn parts if needed. Like I said I am thoroughly impressed with WM manuals. Exploded drawings and part numbers for everything! I wish all equipment had such simple design and resources, makes it easy to buy in confidence. I love the simplicity of the older machines. 

As for the cut length/diameter, sounds like this is perfect. I'd like to cut my own timbers for some small sheds/dovetail cabins and likely wouldnt need to go over 16' in length and a 6x6 or 6x8 timber. Sounds perfect. If I make boards, 24" wide would be plenty. Also sounds like the Kohler 16hp should do fine, that was my only other concern as many guys stated they liked to increase the HP/installing a new engine, but maybe thats only necessary if a guy was gonna do this full-time and with serious volume, for my needs again, sounds like plenty. 

To say I am a little excited is an understatement. 

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
A few weeks back, I took my Amish neighbor to look at an '86 LT30 manual.

Made this post about it!
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=100970.msg1570019#msg1570019

~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline badger1

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 07:12:03 AM »
Can anyone tell me the tire/rim size I should run on the LT30?

Thinking more about it, I will repack the bearings before making the trip, but I'm worried that the current tires are probably weather checked, hell they could even be original to the machine and I dont know that I feel comfortable trusting them to make the 3hr drive home, even if I keep the majority of it under 55mph with back roads etc.

Would these work?

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/carlisle-radial-trail-hd-tire-st205-75r14-lrc-tire-only/0000000251835?gclid=CjwKCAjwspHaBRBFEiwA0eM3kSfCrlkk6IyHxHOh-ktRHiu5gVaaX9cGvLRXrVKAyoIUzBgrCO6AbxoCLJMQAvD_BwE

Otherwise i could borrow a friends car trailer but that might be a trick to load the WM on a car trailer by myself...Would be much easier if I can just tow it home. Just trying to think of all variables, the thought of having a blow out with my new mill going down the road makes me sick just thinking about it.

Thanks for the feeback

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
175/80/d13 matched the tires on my 87 lt30  bought tires and rims from Etrailer.  the rims were the standard 5 hole rims found on most small trailers
Loadstar ST175/80D13 Bias Trailer Tire with 13" White Wheel - 5 on 4-1/2 - Load Range D - AM31233
stihl ms241cm ms290  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several Logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline badger1

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 02:12:10 PM »
175/80/d13 matched the tires on my 87 lt30  bought tires and rims from Etrailer.  the rims were the standard 5 hole rims found on most small trailers
Loadstar ST175/80D13 Bias Trailer Tire with 13" White Wheel - 5 on 4-1/2 - Load Range D - AM31233

Thanks for the link!

I'll post pics when I pick it up! Hopefully this weekend

Offline badger1

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
Happy to report the 1986 LT30 made it home safely, pulled beautifully behind the truck. I had purchased some new rims/tires for the mill in prep for the 4hr drive home. When I arrived I was surprised to see the wheels/tires on the mill where in pristine condition, no weather checking and they still had hairs around the rim lip so I left them on and will keep the new set as spares, or switch them out eventually and keep the ones on there now as spares. I dont plan to move the rig much now that it is home. 

I was also surprised at the condition of the mill. I had seen it a year ago and remember it being in good shape but didnt remember exactly how clean it was. In the last couple weeks when I knew I was purchasing it and then after I purchased it I have been looking at pictures online, reading threads an watching YouTube videos non-stop. I think seeing older models in much rougher condition made me think that mine would be comparable. When I got up there my jaw dropped, this thing is cherry!

I got the original manuals with the mill as well as the .pdf versions from WM website. Excited to order some replacement parts as preventative maint. Belts etc. I also got 4 new blades with it, a sharpening system that was never used (I dont know that I will use it either and some other misc things. 

The saw is beautiful, I paid what I thought was fair, I have only seen two other saws on CL that where even close to this (LT30's) in the last year or two, one was in Milwaukee and the guy wanted $9 (super high) and the other was in Montana and the guy was asking $8k for it I think, the one in Milwaukee I would say was close to as nice, the one in MT looked rougher. I never contacted WM to see what they valued the saw at but I will say that I think I got a good deal on it. I think I can use it for as long as I want and IF I ever did sell it, I wouldnt lose money, if I did it wouldnt be much. 

I am beyond excited! I love the mill, its in beautiful shape and Im looking forward to making some dust! It's all there and in great condition. I drove the 4hrs up north Friday night after work and got up there and hit the hay. I stayed in a cabin on site and looked at the crazy bright moon from the window! I went to sleep excited and got up Sat morning and went outside, the owner came out and we went over the mill, he showed me some particulars about operation, how to adjust things and what did what. We sawed a couple boards and went over some other things. I hooked it up to the truck and started the trip back home. 

2 things I would like to change about the mill eventually. The first is that there is no jack for the tongue of the trailer. This makes it tough to hook up to the truck. I've never seen a trailer that didnt have an adjustable jack. I had to use a high lift off-road type jack the previous owner had to lift it onto the ball o the truck. I looked online and found some heavy duty ones that mount/weld onto the trailer that might be a project in the future. The second modification would be an electric winch to help pull logs onto the deck. I know some here have done this and it looks slick. 

Other than the regular maint anyone would do when taking ownership of something (new oil/filters/belts etc) I couldnt be happier. I will look into some of the bushings etc in the manual and might order some just to be proactive when I order some blades and might look into having WM send out a rep when in the area to do a once-over for the $500 or so they charge to know that it's in factory tolerances/shape like new. Has anyone here had that done? I think it might be worth it with such a nice to saw to have it dialed in and get some knowledge from the tech on what to watch etc maybe some tips. 

Feel free to ask any questions or provide any feedback. Thanks again to all who chimed in with my initial questions and steered me in the right direction. I love these things, and they are simply and bulletproof really. WM has excellent customer service and I cant wait to register it when i contact them. 

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
Almost looks like a new mill, congratulations, great find!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline badger1

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 01:55:44 AM »
Almost looks like a new mill, congratulations, great find!
Thanks! It really is in great shape, I'm in the middle of a crazy work stretch but when Im finished up here I plan on taking some serious time to play with the mill. 
I'll post a bunch more pictures and a cutting video or two. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Dog Board on (1986) LT30

Started by Chuck White on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post May 10, 2018, 03:27:10 PM
by CCCLLC
xx
I just recently bought a 1986 lt30

Started by pat smith on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 07:59:16 PM
by cptbob06