The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Pellet smoker grill  (Read 495 times)

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
Pellet smoker grill
« on: July 08, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
So I gave up on building my block pusher BBQ grill.  Time, just never enough.  Bought a Cabela's pellet smoker grill.  It looked like the most features for the $$.  Have used it for over a year now.
It is hands down the pizza oven I have ever used.  It does a great job with pizza!

I read a lot of complaints about temperature fluctuation.  It's wood, not gas or electric.  It works fine and cooks food like a champ.

My problem and I don't think it has to do at all with the smoker is the lack of smokey flavor.  Tried 2 different brands of pellets, 3 different types,  and it's all the same.  Tried 3 hrs on chicken thighs and 5 hrs for a spatchcock chicken, 2 hrs on country style pork ribs and 2 hrs on steak.  No smoke flavor that I can taste.

I removed the little smoke vent hood and closed it down, smoke billows out the gaps on the lid.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

Offline Deere80

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Pellet smoker grill
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:01:06 PM »
I have the Pit Boss and get all kinds of smoke flavor, sometimes to much if I cook at low temps. 
Wood-Mizer LT35HD

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
Re: Pellet smoker grill
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 09:06:35 PM »
I have a Green Mountain pellet grill that my best half got me for Christmas last year. (did I ever mention shes been a pretty decent first wife ;D ;D ;D)? 
  Anyway it has been a bit of a learning curve to cook on it over the gas or charcoal grills I have always used in the past. My wife and kids really like the flavor of meats and veggies off of it but to get a good hardy smoke you have to cook low and slow.
 Ive found that the level of smoke really goes down at higher temps. If your burning your grill at higher temps (say above 215) your burning the wood pellets too fast and getting less smoke effect in the meat. But that doesnt sound like your problem with those cook times. I would suggest maybe trying a different brand of pellets or possibly different species of wood smoking pellets until you find one that gives you the flavor your looking for. 
 You might also check your manual or online for additional suggestions on the grills performance.

Good luck,

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pellet grill / smoker

Started by 21incher on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 06:41:27 PM
by 21incher
xx
pellet smoker/ cooker???

Started by Woodhauler on General Board

19 Replies
Last post May 10, 2017, 06:35:57 PM
by Woodhauler
xx
Smoker, what to buy?

Started by nas on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!