Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Diesel Engine Shutting Down  (Read 710 times)

Offline mills

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Diesel Engine Shutting Down
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:01:08 PM »
I have a small Case W11 wheel loader. Little feller is handy as heck, and I've very little trouble out of it...until now. My son was using it to build rock retaining walls around his house when the loader started shutting down on him. He thought it had ran out fuel, but it took less than five gallons when he went to fill it up. Needless to say, we started with filters, and then blew out all fuel lines. No luck. The loader has an electric fuel pump that appears to be pumping very well. We checked the diesel flow through the filters, and there was good flow coming out of the injector pump input line. Let the loader set for ten minutes, and it will start great, and run at for a minute before it shuts itself down. Let it set for a couple minutes, and it will shut down in a matter of seconds. The injector pump is a Stanadyne with an electric shut off switch. I'm stumped. Any ideas???

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
Re: Diesel Engine Shutting Down
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
Maybe you are using an inline circuit breaker instead of a fuse.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Offline Puffergas

• Share Post
    • Puffergas
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:14:33 PM »
Maybe you have an inline circuit breaker instead of a fuse.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, IHC 300 Utility, Timberjack 225D, Burg Bandsaw mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »
Did you loosen the cap and blow back into the tank? I've been clogged there before. I had the cap off, and luckily a change of clothes in the truck :D

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »
Hows the power when it is running?  

Fuel tank vent not clogged?  Injector drainback lines are intact and not plugged?  Can you put a test light into the cab to watch the shutoff solenoids continuity?
Revelation 3:20

Offline East ky logging

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:53 AM »
Sounds like the check valve on top of the pump thatí the return line goes into. Thereís a little B.B. in there and if it gets a little stopped up itíll do exactly what youíre describing.

Offline Oliver05262

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
  I'll second what EastKY said. Check that the return line from the top of the injection pump is clear all the way back to the tank by blowing through it, and if it is, remove the fitting on top of the Stanadyne pump  and look for debris plugging it. If you find that, it's pieces of the weight ring retainer, and a common failure on those pumps. You can buy some time by maybe blowing it out backwards, or punch out the glass check ball if that fails.
  Back pressure on that return line shuts the pump down. You will have to repair the injection pump eventually, but it will run a long time doing this. If your tank is much lower than the engine, you might have some issues with fuel drainback, but I would try this  method first. 
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"

Offline mills

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 05:28:54 AM »
Appreciate the replies. 

My son blew back into the tank after he had topped it off.  :D Won't be any grass growing in that spot for a few years.
Motor runs normal until it shuts down. Wide open or idle without any missing or cutting out.
We'll look into the return check. Our next step was going to be running it with the return line unhooked. I was hoping for something simple, but everything keeps pointing back to the injection pump.
I'll let you know how we come out.

Thank yall.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »
Yesterday i was troubleshooting my case 450 crawler loader with a rotary pump.. I dont know which.  Cleared the clogged line and flushed out the tank, new filters full and bled, injectors bled over and over but wouldnt run off ether.  Finally cracked the inlet hardpipe that feeds into the pump and got a ton of air then she ran like a top.  

You may have air locked somewhere between where you do have fuel and where you dont.  Keep cracking stuff open before you send the pump out. 

Offline mills

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:37:58 PM »
Mike, would air eventually work it's way out as the engine runs? 

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
Engines with return lines to tank purge air much better than those without, but even still.. Air does what it wants.

If you are running good between shutting down it tells me the lines from pump to injector are bled and the injectors are working.  If air was in them it wouldnt be able to build enough pressure to unseat the injector pintle and would run all burbly as the lazy injection line failed to fire off that cylinder.  A crisp normal engine note tells us all lines are bled pretty well.

If it revs up and responds to throttle input that also tells me the pump is probably absolved of guilt and leaves us looking at fuel supply to the injection pump as likely culprit.  

My money is on either a section of rubber hose that has delaminated internally, or your tank is filled with sediment that has finally clogged the last bits of every elbow and fitting coming out of the tank.  When you blow air back to tank from the filter head the problem improves temporarily as you loosen the trash but replugs soon after.  I have been through this many times.  No one likes a diesel bath but a mans got to do what a mans got do.

Drain the tank and pull the NPT fittings apart.  I bet youll find your issue.

Offline mills

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »
My son is going to see about the return line check valve. If that don't get it we'll start replacing fuel lines, and then move on to the fuel tank. Won't be the first tank I had to clean. I'm just really hoping it's not the next one. :(

Thank yall!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Diesel engine and bio diesel

Started by artenvielfalt on Peterson Portable Sawmills

6 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 07:33:45 PM
by techmark
xx
diesel engine

Started by saltydog on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 11:53:47 AM
by saltydog