Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Tree Climbing  (Read 599 times)

Offline lxskllr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Tree Climbing
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:00:03 PM »
I went to the compost pile tonight and noticed one of my evergreens is almost completely dead. I hadn't really looked in awhile, and its condition surprised me. I have a couple others that are sick too. Anyway... I'm probably gonna take it down when the weather gets cool. Due to the height, and proximity to trees I don't want to damage, I want to take it down from the top. My two choices are cut off the limbs leaving studs to free climb up, or buy a climbing kit, and learn to climb with ropes/gear. I'd love to learn spur climbing, but ~$500 is kind of a lot to spend on something I won't use much, though there is future potential with the other sick trees. There's also rope climbing, but I don't have as keen a grasp on what it takes to set that up.

Any opinions? I have some harnesses and stuff for walking steel, but nothing that directly pertains to tree work. I could almost justify spending money to not have a tree service come in, but it's really just a justification. The trees I don't want hit aren't particularly valuable, so it could come down from the bottom, but I don't want to cause needless damage. I'd most likely use one of my bow saws. I think they'd be sufficient to get it low enough to fall without causing damage.

I guess what I want to know; is spur climbing useful/fun enough to warrant the gear purchase? Would some other rope system have greater potential future use? Or just free climb it?

Offline Gary Davis

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Tree Climbing
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:44:31 PM »
check amazon they have what looks like very good prices

Offline KyLogger

• Loggin' for a livin'
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 04:46:48 PM »
I have climbed and topped a lot of trees with just a belt, rope and a pair of spurs.... I have also climbed a fair number in a saddle and rope.... You really need to know your business before you go monkeying (pun intended ;) ) in a tree with a powersaw!

-Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Offline lxskllr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:57:23 PM »
You really need to know your business before you go monkeying (pun intended ;) ) in a tree with a powersaw!

-Tom
Yea, free climbing's in my wheelhouse. I did it lots for fun as a kid, and occasionally for work as an adult. Last time was a couple years ago. I needed to remove a branch that was blocking sight, but didn't want to take down the whole tree. I got it, but I also got some nice rashes on the insides of my thighs. Getting old and fat  :^/
If I free climb it, it would be handtools only. If I end up going with spurs, I'd have to make sure I was comfortable in the tree, but that would probably be chainsaw work.
I need to really check everything out. I was gonna do it tonight, but didn't feel like it. I won't be doing anything til ~Nov when the weather's decent, so I have some time. I'm leaning towards the spurs cause it's something I'd like to try, and with some creative accounting, the expense can be justified, but it's all up in the air(hah!) at this point.
I'm kind of weird with heights. I can climb up and down, or plant my butt in one place fine, but walking laterally really weirds me out, even when tethered. I get anxiety attacks even thinking about it. Last time was this past winter. Had to grade bridge beams on the coldest night of the season at that point. 18F, but luckily no wind. Had to do a couple stupid things to get around gaps in the cabling, but I got it done fairly event free. When there's a gap in the cable, it's usually over a splice plate. Rows of bolts sticking up, with a ~6" flat part between them. Nice and uneven, with nothing to clip to  D^:  My hand's are getting prickly now just thinking about it. I used to do that stuff untethered when I was younger. I didn't like it then either, but I got it done. Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to pay me to walk steel unclipped today  :^D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Tree Climbing

Started by tim1234 on General Board

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 10:07:57 PM
by PB Logging
xx
Tree Climbing

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on The Outdoor Board

22 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 04:29:58 AM
by Weekend_Sawyer