TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Hard maple  (Read 2878 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Hard maple
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
Gotcha, thx.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Firewoodjoe

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 06:16:13 AM »
Ilogforu2 Iím thinking the same deal $300 a cord and set my best logs out and have a couple buyers come look. I use to go to manthei in petoskey but that was a long time ago. This wonít be cut till cold weather. We were told Friday the price of oak dropped and the market is getting flooded. Iím guessing itís due to the heat. They donít like logs stacked up. Thanks guys. I like hearing from others. I always second guess myself!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
I think most of the world is in a price bubble and most operators are aware that its a "enjoy it while it lasts" scenario.  So that kinda makes everyone ready to dump and run at the slightest market trigger.  Its the same in scrap, stocks etc etc. People are edgy during bubbles, once bitten and all that. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »
$300 a cord is the way to go. You will get consistent pay for your woods run hard maple. I do my own veneer sales... Because it's worth the time and effort. 10% is a lot of money if you have 40k in logs there. I'm starting a job next week so I will be checking my local prices here shortly. I spoke with my veneer buyer just last weekend and their winter inventory is all cut and he's back to normal on his buying. 😃
Waking this thread back up.  Wondering if you had updated hard maple pricing?  A buddy has been cutting in WVA and there is quite a bit of very old, very large nice maple.  He's only getting 800/MBF and I thought that was a bit low and wanted to check on others pricing.  That's 800/mbf to the mill.  
If it does go to veneer what's the pricing there?  He's thinking of giving up the contract and I'm trying to help him find better pricing, basically I think his issue is the pricing; he's a *DanG good logger but not a great business person (I get 30% more for cherry, 10-20% more for oak, etc).  I just don't have hard maple to compare.
Liking Walnut

Offline Firewoodjoe

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 08:50:05 PM »
Iíd like to hear also. I tried one mill and they said they wouldnít give a price sheet or a price for that matter unless I talk to the log buyer/forester in person! Really! But I know oak has dropped twice. I believe the hole tree price is at .60. But Iím giving up till cold weather hits. It should go back up when they can sit on it with out worry. I just had another person want a price this fall. And heís taking bids so I need a good price from someone! Mills make it hard for the logger around here because they want the sale themselves. So your selling to your competition.

Offline 78NHTFY

• I'm old!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:05 AM »
Local mill here just sent out latest price sheet: Hard Maple--(Slicer quality)$ 4,000/AAA Veneer; $ 3750/AA Veneer; $ 2500/A Veneer; (Rotary quality) $ 1100; Sawlog Prime $ 900; Sawlog Select $ 800; Sawlog #1 $ 575; Sawlog #2 $ 500; Tie Logs $ 385; Matt Logs $ 400; Pallet $ 275. Red Oak--Slicer AAA $ 1200; Yellow Birch--Slicer AAA $ 3500; White Birch--Slicer AAA $ 3500.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you winÖ.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
Man, id be awful scared to be the hired hand grader at a mill paying 4k per thousand on anything.  

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
we get $7k plus for top grade here but our maple is snow white in colour

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »
Thanks 78&EHP, very helpful.  I'm going to have him truck a small load to my deck and give them the hairy eyeball.  If we have any veneer than...well he's getting the short stick for sure.  IF not veneer than he's prob ok at 800 for straight run.  We'll see.

Hard maple grade is all about snow white wood, right?  Do they pull the curly or birds eye stuff from that?  

Any other grade rules on hard maple I should be aware of before looking at his logs?
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »
big thing is colour, size of the heart and make sure you look for mineral and mineral stain. Big thing here in my area is bird peck and if your log has it its just a sawlog . Different markets call for different grade

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »
big thing is colour, size of the heart and make sure you look for mineral and mineral stain. Big thing here in my area is bird peck and if your log has it its just a sawlog . Different markets call for different grade
ok, did not know bird peck was an issue in maple, I assume it's just like Walnut then, Walnut is so easy to see.
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 12:00:18 AM »
Now I would hold on for abit to see what happens with all these tariffs flying around to do with China , this has got everything and everybody pretty scared but Im hoping in a few months things get back in order

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
 X2 what ehp says, the mill I sell to just dropped the price of red oak do to the tariff scare.
Ed K

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
hard maple vs. soft maple

Started by redpowerd on General Board

2 Replies
Last post September 19, 2003, 02:05:58 PM
by redpowerd
xx
hard maple

Started by abooley on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 12:50:14 PM
by OneWithWood