TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Daily carnage thread  (Read 4221 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Daily carnage thread
« on: July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM »
Lets see what you tore up today.

I'll start with a dexter torsion axle that decided to eject out the back of my gooseneck at 2am in the rain last night.  Thought i had a cow stuck under the trailer for a second. 

Revelation 3:20

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
Re: Daily carnage thread
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:06:03 AM »
I lost a big pine out of the buncher this weekend, thought it was going to be a bit loud in the cab for a moment but instead she went right to the left side tires and bounced about 3' back into the air before coming to a stop. Sorry, no pictures. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:34:47 AM »
Not today but last Wednesday on a custom hay baling job I snapped an output shaft off in the baler gearbox. I was 8 bales into 70 acres of hay. Parts were a 14 hour all night road trip with an 11 month old in the backseat away. Left at 6.30pm Wednesday, got home at 8.30am Thursday and was baling hay by noon that day. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:52:10 AM »

6 teeth and teeth holders off my FAE SSH200 head.  Going to cost $300 to get it moved to specialty welding shop and get the drum fixed, tooth holders and teeth probably going to be 1000+ and then welding shop for 1/2 a day.  So...not a great day.  Sadly, did it as a favor while taking down a few ridge rocks in a hay field that have broken lots of mowers and haybines over the years.  Can't even charge to a client.  No good deed goes unpunished and all that.

I did get the rocks :).
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:10:00 AM »
Did that trailer accident happen in TN or VA?  Hope it was close to home but sorry it happened.  What do you do for the repair?
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »
Nice guys may finish last but atleast they have a good turnout at the wake!  

I got very lucky, it was not far into NY from mass, no one or thing got hurt, kids stayed asleep and i managed to get it all unscrambled before cops pulled up.  Told em id just finished changing a tire.   they were content to stay out of the rain, didnt notice i was a 30ft single axle.

Limped back to springfield successfully and parked it, grabbed a small enclosed trailer to bring down this trip while i figure out what to do.  Those axles are custom order 3 week lead time and about a grand each.  Im not sure i want to keep pouring money into it.  Axles wont unrust it or redeck it.  So im stewing on that issue for now.. Maybe a used axle will turn up

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 11:26:44 AM »
Chevy,
Not sure what made me cring the most, 14 hours driving after a full day or concern the 14 month old would wake and not be happy!
How did you find a part you could pick up at 1 am!?!

Glad all were safe.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
By the time all was said and done I slept 3 hours out of 40 but the customers hay all got baled without getting rained on... lol

Finding parts was easy my local dealer checked his computer and told me who had one in stock. Called that dealer and paid for it over the phone and he left it in a bag outside. Got to the dealership at 1am and the local sherrif was checking his email in their parking lot. Turns out he was a part time farmer so we had a good chat in the middle of the night. 

Was not fun but I try to do my best for the paying customers and they seem appreciate it.

Now to trade in the old baler before it breaks again.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 12:05:49 AM »
This promises to be a good thread😁 I usually don't tear too much stuff up, but when I screw up it's usually pretty bad. A few weeks back, I backed my loaded forwarder into the front of a truck that was loading on the landing (worst part was, he was parked exactly where I told him to load) I was just barely creeping when I hit him, in fact I never even felt it. Pushed him back about 3'. He had just started loading, if he would've had more wood on it probably would've totally wiped his truck out. As it was, it didn't look too bad, but it all adds up- Ali-arc bumper, A/C condenser, radiator, air to air cooler, grill and hood. $10K or so👎👎👎 I'll have my head hanging quite low for some time. No, I did not think taking pictures at the time would be appropriate 😑
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 01:36:08 AM »
Oof.. So ya noobed it up good didja? Reckon that threw your seniority out the window for a stretch.  

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
Uh huh👎

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
Have blown the return hose off the splitter 3x this week.  And its got a bypass relief valve to boot so im not sure why, the housing is installed in the right direction.

Getting tired of oil baths.  

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »
Mike,

That many oil baths?  Good news, your now waterproof!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »
Some days you just need to call it quits.  Today was one of those.  I rented a plug core aerator to overseed my crabgrass (some folks call it a lawn - but mine is nothing but crabgrass at the moment.)  First off, my 4-wheeler wouldn't start.  See "Dang Chinese Carburetors" in the General Board for that story.  Well, I'll pull it with my lawnmower.  The Craftsman didn't want much to do with it, but I drained some water out of the ballast tank and commenced to work.  After about 20 minutes I came to a halt.  Looked down......that high quality Chinese tube that I put in the rear tire last year had belched the valve stem.  Went inside and called Dad.  "Is your 4 -wheeler running?"  "Nope - got it back from the shop and it ran for about 2 weeks and it's dead again."  This is a Yamaha that has been a pain from the day he bought it.  It has spent more time at the dealership than on the farm.  Anyway......scratching my head......I'll pull it with the Fordson Dexta......a little overkill for a 4 foot plug core but it got the job done.  Now I need to put out seed and fertilizer.  I'll run to town and get a tube for the tire (while waiting on a new carb for my 4 wheeler).  So I run to town.  It's a 30 minute trip for me.  Drop in the local Tractor Supply and pick up a new tube for the lawnmower.  Guess I should get a new tire, but it costs more than my lawnmower is worth.  I come back out the door and the local Cub Scout pack hits me up for money.  They are selling popcorn and peanuts.  I didn't have any cash.  No problem.....he said we can take a credit card.  Ok, "How much is this bag of Caramel Popcorn?"  "Twenty -five dollars comes the reply."  DANG.  It's the Cub Scouts so I made a contribution.  Came on home to put the tube in my tire.  Opened the sealed box and pull out the tube.  It is already cracked in the folds where it was in the box, so I'm back to square one.  My sister told me the other day that she had a limb down in her yard that was blocking her circle drive.  I asked her son if I could pull it out of the way with the tractor.  He said yeah.....the tractor could pull it.  I head up there with the tractor and chain.  When I get there, the limb is about 12 inches in diameter and laid in the forks of a little maple tree in her yard.  I didn't want to destroy the maple so back to the house for the chainsaw.  I cut the limb up and proceed to pull the brush out of the drive.  I feel a burning sensation on my forearm.  I thought it was a stinging caterpillar but I didn't see him.  Cleaned up the rest of the brush and went to stack the wood so Dad could come get it for firewood.  I stepped in a yellow-jackets nest at the base of the maple and was promptly rewarded including one in the inside of my nose.......So, I'm quitting for the day.  Just hope no planes fly over for a few hours.  This bad Mojo needs to subside.  :-\

Wudman   

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »
I hope the popcorn is good after all that!!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
Man not a good day.  

Sorry about the stings but at least no blood or breaks!  Putting down grass seed will just cause more work in the spring anyway.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 11:31:53 PM »
This months carnage report:

Splitter shot the filter across the yard

Bobcat tire MIA, reused foam chunks in it are held together by chain

Bobcat's Hoof governor sleeps with the fishes

Dozer starter back out again, new solenoid already arc'n and spark'n

Forktruck blew out a rod packing

And the kid hit a growth spurt

[No pics of my roadranger getting jammed in 2 gears at once, the bobcat's pertronix distributor eating up rotors and caps, me catching it on fire pretty good, clogged septic system, or busted dishwasher.]

livin the dream.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 01:10:36 AM »
DanG, you are a walking accident!  Hope that mojo improves!

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 08:29:31 AM »
Thats just awful :(. Hope you have a better day.
Ed K

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 08:50:42 AM »
This is my completely normal life, it doesnt even bother me.  How could i help anyone else fix their stuff if i wasnt in constant practice?  

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
Mike, I thought the tire patch I have on the side wall of my 2600 ford tractor that I bush hog with was bad, but after seeing your tire repair, I think mine will last a while longer.  :)  I like this thread you started.  I should of took the picture of the blow out I had on my 3500 dodge the other day.  Trying to run that ole Michelin too long will cost me a few buck.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »
Now don't take this the wrong way but looking at that filter and belt drive governor makes me wonder if you have a tendency to over tighten things? :D

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
Yikes Mike. I deal with this and think it is a bad day. I have no right !

gg

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »
Well then dont take this the wrong way, but Im actually a pretty good mechanic (i have to be to have gotten this far on this little) and you guys may not actually grasp what youre lookin at.    ;D

The filter had an incorrect cold bypass valve in it that kept jamming in its seat crooked, and the filter must have been on for ages. Its a cobbled together splitter i got in a trade.  I couldnt make any sense of the numbers to even know what micron and the plan was to go through it and make changes when i get my next container hauled down.  Ive built plenty of filtration systems and have shelves of parts in massachusetts.    Return pressure blew the unit apart, not tightening.   Now is the critical time to split wood, not worry about wearing out equipment thats sposta keep me from wearing out.  Filter deleted for now, wood getting split.  Its how i survive.

The hoof governors are ancient and huge money.. Whoever has the reman parts isnt making them easy to find.  So the oil oozes out, the front bearing scatters and the flyweights can opener the housing in a minute or so.  It was only on there to tension the waterpump, it wasnt controlling the throttle.  I tossed it and put a mower belt idler on. One hour fix.  I wasnt gonna throw $800 at a junk bobcat, i aim to use up every drop of that machine.

The dozer had a brand new solenoid full of corrosion, so the brazilians who made it could save 2 pesos by not using any dielectric grease inside. It was welding itself from corrosion induced arcing. Stuck starters cause fires. I unsoldered the end cap and fixed it right.  Crazy fast starts again.  That komatsu 6's must have no pump advance at all.

I didnt put chain on the bobcat tire to hold it together,  the chains were on for traction.  But it was a burnt machine that i rebuilt cheap and the tops were weak from the fire. i drive on concrete demo and rebar all day with it.  No tire likes that.  Have another set of foam filled street tires that just wont go in my clay so i have to make OTT tracks and swap them on soon.  But id rather abuse the foam off these rims then have to cut it.  I got enough on my plate already!

Speaking of tires, i blew 11 this summer on road.  Since 2015 ive probably blown 30 to 40, maybe more.  Im pretty good with levers and ether.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
Yikes Mike. I deal with this
Blown hose?  
I am pretty fortunate to have a hose maker, dies and a lot of ends.  It took about 5 yrs to collect it all and gets me out of most jams.  Fortunately there is a great hose shop about 30 mins from me when i cant cobble something.  
My goal is to never leave home and work every day.  I avg about 1 to 2 week stretches.  Most of the bits i need come in the mail.  Saves me a lot of half hour trips to town.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »
My goal is to never leave home and work every day.

That is why I collect/save every nut and bolt I come across.  All somewhat organized that I can usually find what I need:

Probably 5,000 pieces :o  I still have another 10 or 20 jars of "collections" to sort through.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »
Organization is key!   If it takes you 3 days to stumble on the thing you know you have, a trip to town is a better value.  

I have the primary stuff in bins and get by pretty well.  I manage to group things well enough that if i find the group, ill have every nut and bolt from that chainsaw thats been moved across the country and been apart 5 yrs. My problem is no shop and still half way moved.  I have hardware store bins to put up once im settled, then i will start sorting the 5 gallon buckets of 30cents/lb scrapyard hardware. Money doesnt matter that much in the country.  You and your neighbors get by trading mower blades and weed wacker coils. Junk is important here.

And your setup looks great john!  I have order envy.

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »

Blown hose?  
I am pretty fortunate to have a hose maker, dies and a lot of ends.  It took about 5 yrs to collect it all and gets me out of most jams.  Fortunately there is a great hose shop about 30 mins from me when i cant cobble something.  
My goal is to never leave home and work every day.  I avg about 1 to 2 week stretches.  Most of the bits i need come in the mail.  Saves me a lot of half hour trips to town.
You got it. Replaced all three. Never left home. DiscountHydraulicHose.com. Ordered Friday got hoses Tuesday. Regular US mail. 

They been there a while. Lots of PB Blaster and a "Box" Wrench.  :D

gg

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »
Man, I guess I need to take more pictures.  Mike is too *DanG far ahead and probably 10x the mechanic.  For instance, I spent 10 mins trying to get an oil drain plug off the morning.  Have to go back with a pipe for leverage.  Someone must have tightened it on with an impact wrench.  

Took Mikes advice though and pumped the hydraulic and fuel tanks empty after I ripped 3 hoses off on the forwarder crane, found the hydraulic tanks nearly empty (not from me) so it was worthwhile getting them clean.  Diesel tank is clean too (cheap harbor freight transfer pump does wonders.  
Liking Walnut

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »
Man, I guess I need to take more pictures.  Mike is too *DanG far ahead and probably 10x the mechanic.  For instance, I spent 10 mins trying to get an oil drain plug off the morning.  Have to go back with a pipe for leverage.  Someone must have tightened it on with an impact wrench.  

Took Mikes advice though and pumped the hydraulic and fuel tanks empty after I ripped 3 hoses off on the forwarder crane, found the hydraulic tanks nearly empty (not from me) so it was worthwhile getting them clean.  Diesel tank is clean too (cheap harbor freight transfer pump does wonders.  
Pictures are good - that way you can figure out what you were doing when you wake up from your nap.
gg

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »
Well then dont take this the wrong way, but Im actually a pretty good mechanic

I figure you know what your doing Mike, with used equipment you inherit not only the design flaws of the manufacture but also the misuse and abuse and half baked repairs of the previous owners, the only reason my old backhoe does not break more often is I don't use it often.

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
Planetary carnage.

Online Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »
Ouch! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb.

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »
That has an expensive look about it 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
The Least Likely To Buff Out Award goes to KIKO!  

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 02:09:10 AM »
That looks like a "it was making a noise, so I turned up the radio" type of mechanical failures!😂

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
 you guys are killing me
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
Planetary carnage.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
"what's that? Speak up this machines been making a helluva noise for 2 weeks now"
Liking Walnut

Offline 51cub

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »
I'll have to start taking some pictures around here. A few years back one of the drivers came in 3 times during the same storm with the right rear outside wheel in a perfect triangle- never hit nothing. Another tore a hydraulic tank off the truck. He didn't think he'd hit anything that hard. Won't even talk about what some of the plows come in looking like
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

Offline Oliver05262

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »
   Real special to come in the shop and find this. One of the herders left his truck (loaded) in front of the door and put this PTO shaft and

hose on the floor for someone to deal with in the morning...............
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
I thought you were building some rod iron house plant arbor there for a minute.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 05:49:04 AM »
At a quick glace I thought it was a hyd hose.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
I believe I still have a matching drive shaft to that one in the junk pile somewhere if you need a pair.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben on Forestry and Logging

310 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 11:10:52 AM
by mike_belben
xx
Todays carnage

Started by Kevin on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2006, 04:25:10 PM
by rebocardo