iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Daily carnage thread  (Read 9960 times)

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
Re: Daily carnage thread
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
Mike, I thought the tire patch I have on the side wall of my 2600 ford tractor that I bush hog with was bad, but after seeing your tire repair, I think mine will last a while longer.  :)  I like this thread you started.  I should of took the picture of the blow out I had on my 3500 dodge the other day.  Trying to run that ole Michelin too long will cost me a few buck.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »
Now don't take this the wrong way but looking at that filter and belt drive governor makes me wonder if you have a tendency to over tighten things? :D

Online g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
Yikes Mike. I deal with this and think it is a bad day. I have no right !

gg

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »
Well then dont take this the wrong way, but Im actually a pretty good mechanic (i have to be to have gotten this far on this little) and you guys may not actually grasp what youre lookin at.    ;D

The filter had an incorrect cold bypass valve in it that kept jamming in its seat crooked, and the filter must have been on for ages. Its a cobbled together splitter i got in a trade.  I couldnt make any sense of the numbers to even know what micron and the plan was to go through it and make changes when i get my next container hauled down.  Ive built plenty of filtration systems and have shelves of parts in massachusetts.    Return pressure blew the unit apart, not tightening.   Now is the critical time to split wood, not worry about wearing out equipment thats sposta keep me from wearing out.  Filter deleted for now, wood getting split.  Its how i survive.

The hoof governors are ancient and huge money.. Whoever has the reman parts isnt making them easy to find.  So the oil oozes out, the front bearing scatters and the flyweights can opener the housing in a minute or so.  It was only on there to tension the waterpump, it wasnt controlling the throttle.  I tossed it and put a mower belt idler on. One hour fix.  I wasnt gonna throw $800 at a junk bobcat, i aim to use up every drop of that machine.

The dozer had a brand new solenoid full of corrosion, so the brazilians who made it could save 2 pesos by not using any dielectric grease inside. It was welding itself from corrosion induced arcing. Stuck starters cause fires. I unsoldered the end cap and fixed it right.  Crazy fast starts again.  That komatsu 6's must have no pump advance at all.

I didnt put chain on the bobcat tire to hold it together,  the chains were on for traction.  But it was a burnt machine that i rebuilt cheap and the tops were weak from the fire. i drive on concrete demo and rebar all day with it.  No tire likes that.  Have another set of foam filled street tires that just wont go in my clay so i have to make OTT tracks and swap them on soon.  But id rather abuse the foam off these rims then have to cut it.  I got enough on my plate already!

Speaking of tires, i blew 11 this summer on road.  Since 2015 ive probably blown 30 to 40, maybe more.  Im pretty good with levers and ether.

Revelation 3:20

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
Yikes Mike. I deal with this
Blown hose?  
I am pretty fortunate to have a hose maker, dies and a lot of ends.  It took about 5 yrs to collect it all and gets me out of most jams.  Fortunately there is a great hose shop about 30 mins from me when i cant cobble something.  
My goal is to never leave home and work every day.  I avg about 1 to 2 week stretches.  Most of the bits i need come in the mail.  Saves me a lot of half hour trips to town.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »
My goal is to never leave home and work every day.

That is why I collect/save every nut and bolt I come across.  All somewhat organized that I can usually find what I need:

Probably 5,000 pieces :o  I still have another 10 or 20 jars of "collections" to sort through.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »
Organization is key!   If it takes you 3 days to stumble on the thing you know you have, a trip to town is a better value.  

I have the primary stuff in bins and get by pretty well.  I manage to group things well enough that if i find the group, ill have every nut and bolt from that chainsaw thats been moved across the country and been apart 5 yrs. My problem is no shop and still half way moved.  I have hardware store bins to put up once im settled, then i will start sorting the 5 gallon buckets of 30cents/lb scrapyard hardware. Money doesnt matter that much in the country.  You and your neighbors get by trading mower blades and weed wacker coils. Junk is important here.

And your setup looks great john!  I have order envy.

Online g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »

Blown hose?  
I am pretty fortunate to have a hose maker, dies and a lot of ends.  It took about 5 yrs to collect it all and gets me out of most jams.  Fortunately there is a great hose shop about 30 mins from me when i cant cobble something.  
My goal is to never leave home and work every day.  I avg about 1 to 2 week stretches.  Most of the bits i need come in the mail.  Saves me a lot of half hour trips to town.
You got it. Replaced all three. Never left home. DiscountHydraulicHose.com. Ordered Friday got hoses Tuesday. Regular US mail. 

They been there a while. Lots of PB Blaster and a "Box" Wrench.  :D

gg

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »
Man, I guess I need to take more pictures.  Mike is too *DanG far ahead and probably 10x the mechanic.  For instance, I spent 10 mins trying to get an oil drain plug off the morning.  Have to go back with a pipe for leverage.  Someone must have tightened it on with an impact wrench.  

Took Mikes advice though and pumped the hydraulic and fuel tanks empty after I ripped 3 hoses off on the forwarder crane, found the hydraulic tanks nearly empty (not from me) so it was worthwhile getting them clean.  Diesel tank is clean too (cheap harbor freight transfer pump does wonders.  
Liking Walnut

Online g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »
Man, I guess I need to take more pictures.  Mike is too *DanG far ahead and probably 10x the mechanic.  For instance, I spent 10 mins trying to get an oil drain plug off the morning.  Have to go back with a pipe for leverage.  Someone must have tightened it on with an impact wrench.  

Took Mikes advice though and pumped the hydraulic and fuel tanks empty after I ripped 3 hoses off on the forwarder crane, found the hydraulic tanks nearly empty (not from me) so it was worthwhile getting them clean.  Diesel tank is clean too (cheap harbor freight transfer pump does wonders.  
Pictures are good - that way you can figure out what you were doing when you wake up from your nap.
gg

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »
Well then dont take this the wrong way, but Im actually a pretty good mechanic

I figure you know what your doing Mike, with used equipment you inherit not only the design flaws of the manufacture but also the misuse and abuse and half baked repairs of the previous owners, the only reason my old backhoe does not break more often is I don't use it often.

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
Planetary carnage.

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »
Ouch! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb.

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »
That has an expensive look about it 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
The Least Likely To Buff Out Award goes to KIKO!  

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 02:09:10 AM »
That looks like a "it was making a noise, so I turned up the radio" type of mechanical failures!😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
 you guys are killing me
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
Planetary carnage.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
"what's that? Speak up this machines been making a helluva noise for 2 weeks now"
Liking Walnut

Offline 51cub

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »
I'll have to start taking some pictures around here. A few years back one of the drivers came in 3 times during the same storm with the right rear outside wheel in a perfect triangle- never hit nothing. Another tore a hydraulic tank off the truck. He didn't think he'd hit anything that hard. Won't even talk about what some of the plows come in looking like
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

Offline Oliver05262

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »
   Real special to come in the shop and find this. One of the herders left his truck (loaded) in front of the door and put this PTO shaft and

hose on the floor for someone to deal with in the morning...............
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

It's OK to cry.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben on Forestry and Logging

348 Replies
Last post December 06, 2018, 11:06:45 AM
by mike_belben
xx
Todays carnage

Started by Kevin on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2006, 04:25:10 PM
by rebocardo