TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Transporting lumber  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My timberframe blog
Re: Transporting lumber
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 12:16:15 AM »
 I'm not saying that the price isn't warranted, but after you factor in the price of the truck vs what you are making the profits seem so small to even bother, you know?

Why would the trucking cost eat into your profits?  You're lumber price is your lumber price.  The trucking cost is separate and the responsibility of the buyer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
Yes, don't roll the two together. Even when I sell maple syrup, the customer pays the shipping and I have the payment before the product leaves here.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »
Finding a trucker to haul your lumber shouldn't be especially hard.  I have two that do grading and hauling.  They are always looking to fill in between jobs.  I've had good luck with these guys hauling logs and lumber.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Solar_HoneyBee0

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
Brad and Maple,

You guys point out good points with having the customer cover shipping and honestly most of the time this is no problem. There are sometimes though I price my lumber at a good price, but don't factor in shipping as I figure I can do it. Now, that's not to say that I don't get paid to ship, but it's drastically different than the cost of a truck. If I factored in the price of shipping of a truck them my lumber price is probably no different, and maybe even more than local places these people could buy from. By no means do I want to get in to the transportation business. I did trucking before and I'm past that point in my life, but I have to unload the lumber and sometimes there just aren't any buys near by.

All great advice guys. I really appreciate it and it's helped out a tremendous amount. Thanks again everyone.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 11:47:46 AM »
We don't ship w/o being paid in full.  Period.  Almost always by credit card - sometimes the customer will send a check in advance.

We rarely deliver unless it is local.  We're in the milling and drying business - not the transport business and if i'm sitting behind the wheel of a truck it means that I'm not sitting behind the controls of a sawmill.

Just my 2 cents.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Just Right

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 01:13:32 PM »
I'd be wary of bank wires too - there are some ways that can go wrong.  Thought about PayPal?  Probably have to eat a 3% fee, but it's fairly ironclad...
You can send money through Paypal to a "friend" with no charge.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Offline Solar_HoneyBee0

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 01:46:46 AM »
Sc and JR,

Hey guys. Great points. SC, I hear ya 100%. I mean, milling is the name of the game. If you're not milling and drying lumber than you're not making any money. With that said, If I am not able to sell lumber locally at the moment for some reason i'm also not making money. That's why I have reached out further than usual and have had relative success. I believe in transporting the lumber myself because it cuts down on the final cost. I have calculated my time vs hiring someone and often times I decide just to do it myself. Will this always be the case? Probably not, but for now it seems to be working out. 

JR, I have used Paypal in the past and they have been pretty solid. There have been a few times where I have had to dispute charges with them and it's been a complete hassle. Like SC said, I would rather be milling that arguing with people over my money, you know? It's a hard situation to find the right balance that's for sure.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate the input.

Offline Just Right

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »
I do agree with you.  If I never had to deal with another customer service rep ever again that would be toooooooooo soon!  Sounds like you are getting it done though.  Keep up the good work.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Transporting a Mill

Started by LrryFrrw on Sawmills and Milling

29 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 02:44:56 AM
by LorenB
xx
Transporting bands

Started by WV Sawmiller on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 12:42:14 PM
by Shadevalley