TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: First Mill  (Read 1746 times)

Offline shortaction

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: First Mill
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 09:56:40 PM »
Sorry I wasn't clear, I was asking Lyndaker if that was the mill he was referring to.  If he is I have the Little Blue and have cut 4-5000bdft of spruce, pine, cedar, hard maple & burr oak.  I have nothing to compare it too as I've never cut with another mill but it works really well, easy to use scale, clamps are fast and secure, the log leveller works well on small to medium sized logs up to 12-14' length and then the logs start to get very heavy to adjust.  I can cut about 100 bdft per hour by myself when cutting decent 8' cedar using a tractor to load the logs.  I have cut some pine logs 16'8" long with up to 18" small end and had no trouble at all as long as I kept a sharp blade on the saw.  I cut a big burr oak over 30" in diameter for a friend.  We had to trim it down with a chainsaw and I had to go really slow on the wide (16") cuts and I had some waves around the knots, but it was a log that had been cut for a couple of years and my blade had gotten dull.  Don't think I was using quite enough lube either?  I really enjoy using the mill and I will soon have my other jobs out of the way and get back at.  I have about another 5000-6000 bdft of logs to get through.  

Offline Lyndaker

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »
Do you have track extensions? How long of logs can you cut? What is the build quality of the mill like? My one concern is the cost of the blades. $36 per blade seems pretty steep. Did you get a sharpener? or do you send them away for sharpening? Keep me posted as you think about it and have any thoughts on the mill. I'd prefer to get a mill that has a Canadian presence as parts and support are simplified.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »
Most of our logs are smaller 12-18" range as trees just don't get huge up here. How will a band mill or swing blade compare when cutting smaller logs? A "huge" log up here is 24-30"

Swing blades do work fine with smaller logs like that, especially if you can fabricate a good set up bunks, well clear of the rails if they are lo-lo like mine, and load them with a skid steer or tractor. Or a log deck and roll them in under the rail with the Lucas or ATS style rails. Getting any production with smaller logs is about getting the next log in the mill, and the blade back in the wood quick as you can. That goes for whatever mill you have, time spent loading the next logs isn't time spent  cutting.

Of course a band mill can also handle those logs just fine as well.

While the big log handling is one of the big advantages of Swingblades, they work fine with smaller logs too. It's just the log deck / dogging isn't included. But once you have a sawmill, then making bunks and a log deck becomes simple.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline shortaction

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »
Do you have track extensions? How long of logs can you cut? What is the build quality of the mill like? My one concern is the cost of the blades. $36 per blade seems pretty steep. Did you get a sharpener? or do you send them away for sharpening? Keep me posted as you think about it and have any thoughts on the mill. I'd prefer to get a mill that has a Canadian presence as parts and support are simplified.
No I don't have track extensions.  My understanding is that you can't just buy sections, you buy the whole extension you want as one piece, they fabricate it by foot.  
The specs say you can cut 17' but it would require a lot of niggling around each time you flip the log.  I have cut a few at 16'8" and gives a couple of inches to spare at each end but still seem to have to slide the back or forwards to keep it centred.  I'm quite happy with the build quality, wish there was a catch of some sort at the end to keep the mill head in place.  
I average about 4-500 bdft per blade, but it really depends on how clean your logs are.  I bought 2 boxes (10/box) of blades and there are 2 blades come with the mill so got 22 blades at purchase and have just been using those.  The blades are the more expensive ones (Apex RF), my dealer said they last longer than the cheaper ones and that is what he uses.  But I have never used anything else so couldn't be sure?  I also read somewhere that the Apex RF blades where tough to get resharpened?  Again I don't know but maybe something to check on? 
My mill has the 13hp Subaru engine and it works really well, but the mills now come with a Honda engine, Subaru has gotten out of the small engine business. 
The Scale is really well laid out, would be awesome if it slid up with a set screw so you could work it off a different base height than just the bed of the mill. 
Overall I've been really happy with it.
If you happen to be coming down by the Manitoulin Island stop in and I be happy to let you try it out. 

Offline Lyndaker

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 11:51:20 PM »
Thanks for the invite I will definitely keep that in mind. Would be great to actually try out a mill before purchasing. Not uncommon for me to drive by your area when I visit relatives in upstate NY.

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:10 PM »
Thanks for the invite I will definitely keep that in mind. Would be great to actually try out a mill before purchasing. Not uncommon for me to drive by your area when I visit relatives in upstate NY.
Perhaps related to the Lyndakers of Croghan NY area??
you may want to look at a Clarke mill built in Lindsay Ontario
travel safe  
D

Offline Lyndaker

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 10:06:27 PM »
You guessed it. My dad grew up there and I have Aunts still living there. Not to many Lyndakers around. We seem to be few and far between.  Also have distant relatives across in Canada.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter