TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Swing-saw mill (smaller) -- no longer looking  (Read 395 times)

Offline buzz-zucha

• Chainsaw mill sawyer (May I use that term?)
    • Share Post
Swing-saw mill (smaller) -- no longer looking
« on: August 03, 2018, 11:27:09 PM »
Looking for a swing-saw mill.  I do urban milling projects.  I'll be harvesting six cypress trees in late fall.  I feel more comfortable with a swing-saw, but will consider bandsaw mill.  

Thanks
Al

No longer looking.  Went with bandsaw instead.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
Re: Swing-saw mill (smaller)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »
A swing saw has advantages and disadvantages. For one, you can often cut the log where it lays. That is a +. You are limited to a certain width and thickness, that depends on the particular mill. That might be a -. A swing blade mill I feel is quicker to learn and you don't need to keep turning the log, but on the - side, they make more sawdust because the kerf is wider. An advantage with a swing blade is that you only handle the sawed piece once, often on a band saw you saw the thickness then set that aside, saw another until you have several, then you need to gather them and trim one or both edges to finished width.
I like my swing blade, but I've never owned a band mill.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline buzz-zucha

• Chainsaw mill sawyer (May I use that term?)
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
Thanks.  I've found I like making lumber, lol  I appreciate you plus and minus comments.  I agree.  It surprises me that I cannot find a used swing-blade sale for sale.   I have my eye on the Peterson "junior" as a good saw for use in urban area.  Using on site is a big plus.

Thanks
Al

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »
I've got a JP, and it's a good little mill. Because things are so simple on it, there is so little to go wrong. Don't let the small engine deceive you, it can cut a serious amount of wood, and can do it pretty much anywhere. I've also cut a heap of Sheoak (Casuarina) with mine, which is a VERY hard wood. Had to saw a bit slower, but it handled if fine. So you don't need to be afraid of any wood that you are going to find in the US.

It surprises me that I cannot find a used swing-blade sale for sale.  
Not really. Most folks that have one love it, so aren't selling it. When they do come up for sale, they seem to get snapped up quickly. They are also a bit of a novelty in the US, where band mills are much more common. In this part of the world swing and twin saws are much more common (larger logs) 

What Maple flats says about the limitations is correct. But in reality you can build pretty much anything you want out of boards less than 6" wide. So although every one loves those beautiful wide boards, you don't usually need to saw them. And there is always double cutting (to get 12" wide) or flipping the 
log to get a live edge slab or big beam. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »
I got mine used, but had to be patient then paid a friend of mine to drive to Mississippi to get it.  In the last 4 years I have seen 2-3 for sale within a 3-4 hour drive of me.  All sold pretty quick.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Why are there more smaller Band Mill operators here then circle mill?

Started by MaddiesDad on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 03:18:06 PM
by TexasTimbers
xx
no longer bob's mill

Started by woodmills1 on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 05:53:05 AM
by woodmills1
xx
Sawing logs longer than your mill?