AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Woodmaster RazorTip Carbide blades  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
Woodmaster RazorTip Carbide blades
« on: August 04, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
Was wondering if anybody is using RazorTip Carbide blades. I heard that they may last 10 times longer? How about sharpening? Any pros or cons on these versus standard blades.
Airbus 380 Captain, living in the Middle East, counting down the days till retirement. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Offline Beavertooth

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Woodmaster RazorTip Carbide blades
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »
I have not run any of the carbide blades but have been running some bi-metal turbo 7's from Woodmizer. They cost me exactly twice as much as the double hards cost and in my opinion I will save money in the long run. Reasons are that they do run 2 to 3 times as long before becoming dull, that means less time changing blades and less money spent on sharping them, they are suppose to have longer flex life because the entire blade is made out of a different material not just the tip (Woodmizer  told me that the carbides did have 5 times the flex life as the double hard) but did not have an exact number on the bi-metals but that it was longer. The only way you would lose money on them is to hit something that would tare them up but I am also sure that I have lost many double hard blades to nails that I would not have lost if the blade would have been a bi-metal so still better I think in the end with the bi-metal. And running the turbo 7's is definitely making more money for me than running any other profile since I can cut a very noticeable amount faster with them. I do not remember what profiles and blade thickness they make in the carbide.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
On occasion, I have to cut a full container load of 1x6x13(metric). This involves a lot of resawing cants/2inch etc. For resawing, I will use the carbide blades. They are mega expensive but I can resaw a full container without changing blades. Double hards would be at least 10 blade changes. At 5 min per change, thatís 50 miniutes or about 1600 bdft of resawing. With a full crew handling and packaging, ithe blades pay for themselves easily. As long as the wood is clean and no nails yadda, they are a good investment. Profit goes out the window on first nail nugget whatever.  Las Vegas 🤓
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
I tried a couple. Wider teeth require more hp. Cut nicely, but load down my 25 hp mill noticeably. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:00 PM »
On occasion, I have to cut a full container load of 1x6x13(metric). This involves a lot of resawing cants/2inch etc. For resawing, I will use the carbide blades. They are mega expensive but I can resaw a full container without changing blades. Double hards would be at least 10 blade changes. At 5 min per change, thatís 50 miniutes or about 1600 bdft of resawing. With a full crew handling and packaging, the blades pay for themselves easily. As long as the wood is clean and no nails yadda, they are a good investment. Profit goes out the window on first nail nugget whatever.  Las Vegas 🤓
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the info Gents, I may buy both and like Percy mentioned, just use the carbide for the stuff that I know will not have any metal.
Airbus 380 Captain, living in the Middle East, counting down the days till retirement. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Offline shenandoahsawmill

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Something else to consider as a plus to the carbide or stellite tipped blades is that they do stay sharper, two to three times as long as standard blades which leads to fewer thick/thin cuts over the life of the blades. Some of us change blades when the blade on the mill starts cutting thick/thin boards. With the blades staying sharper longer, it means more good boards over the life of the blades.

Offline woodyone.john

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »
Another advantage of tipped blades is the set lasts so much longer as the tip provides the clearance.Sharpening blades is easy [with a cbn sharpener] accurate setting takes me longer.As any body who has used them will tell you striking metal is the pits.  
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
Was wondering if anybody is using RazorTip Carbide blades. I heard that they may last 10 times longer? How about sharpening? Any pros or cons on these versus standard blades.
I know Joe's sawmill service in Barrie (now Metalwood) uses them on his widened mill. He sawed my 45" red oak. Those are the only blades he uses. He swears by them, At 1504 a blade i have a hard time justifying them. I hit metal all the time. He metal detects in wood he feels will have metal and can usually dig out the metal ahead of time. I tried one years ago when I was first starting out cleaning large douglas fir beams, it lasted as long as the rest of the blades....until i hit the first metal in the wood, and all the beams had been scanned twice with a metal detector.
 I find customers do not mind paying $35 a blade when we hit objects, but would defiantly kick at the 150$ price.
LT40HD, 742b Bobcat, Sthil v170,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 12:52:10 AM »
I know Joe's sawmill service in Barrie (now Metalwood) uses them on his widened mill. He sawed my 45" red oak. Those are the only blades he uses. He swears by them, At 1504 a blade i have a hard time justifying them. I hit metal all the time. He metal detects in wood he feels will have metal and can usually dig out the metal ahead of time. I tried one years ago when I was first starting out cleaning large douglas fir beams, it lasted as long as the rest of the blades....until i hit the first metal in the wood, and all the beams had been scanned twice with a metal detector.
 I find customers do not mind paying $35 a blade when we hit objects, but would defiantly kick at the 150$ price.
I actually just met him last month and he was sawing using those blades. I did talk a little about the blades which made me interested in using them (small world). I just wanted to see if others had any input or advise as to if they are worth the price and any performance issues, etc. I just picked up the Garrett hand held wand detector as a start, but ya 150 a blade is quite expensive. I may pick up some for sawing logs that I know for sure do not have any metal, like my own :laugh:

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
I run WM Carbides on my 40Wide. I consider them ESSENTIAL for full width cuts on hardwoods...unless you want a roller-coaster. If you are cutting wide, forget Turbos...no deal.

The carbides are the bomb for cut quality too...excellent surface. Looks like its been planed! 
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
I run WM Carbides on my 40Wide. I consider them ESSENTIAL for full width cuts on hardwoods...unless you want a roller-coaster. If you are cutting wide, forget Turbos...no deal.

The carbides are the bomb for cut quality too...excellent surface. Looks like its been planed!
Thanks for the info, guess I will put an order in and get some blades ordered. Question, would you use them on softwood? 

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »

Thanks for the info, guess I will put an order in and get some blades ordered. Question, would you use them on softwood?
Yes they work great on softwood!
LT40HD, 742b Bobcat, Sthil v170,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »

Yes they work great on softwood!
Just got a couple in the mail yesterday 8) can't wait to try them out. I have a large white pine job in a week or two

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
Just got a couple in the mail yesterday can't wait to try them out. I have a large white pine job in a week or two

You will not regret it--unless you discover metal in your log! :o 
Scan, scan, scan!!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WM razortip blades

Started by qbilder on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 07:15:12 PM
by poolman
xx
Razor Tip Carbide blades

Started by ncsawyer on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post August 21, 2017, 12:05:26 AM
by Percy