The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Vacutherm iDry input  (Read 24492 times)

Offline Just Right

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
Re: Vacutherm iDry input
« Reply #360 on: September 06, 2019, 05:45:46 PM »
Thank you NC Daniel.  I got a huge sycamore next.  54 in big end and 49 at lil end 10 foot wide.

E Tex you are welcome.

If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #361 on: September 06, 2019, 06:57:16 PM »
Thats a big sycamore. Nice end grain.  ;)

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2019, 11:57:08 PM »
Is there a log in that picture?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Just Right

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #363 on: September 07, 2019, 06:31:23 AM »
LMAO!  Thank y'all for the compliments.  That was the butt log and there is 7 more logs out of that one tree.  

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
  • I've got a little sawdust in my pocket
    • Share Post
« Reply #364 on: September 09, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
That log's got alotta live edge.  :o 
LT50 wide
iDRY Standard kiln (here soon)
JD 4520 w/FEL
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #365 on: September 12, 2019, 08:14:33 PM »
That will fill the kiln nicely.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline E-Tex

• Rather be Saw'n or Fish'n
    • Share Post
    • www.L2Sawmill.com
« Reply #366 on: October 27, 2019, 09:07:12 AM »
are y'all i-dry guys putting top-weight on the stack when drying?

if so, what and how much?

thanks.
LT-50 Wide, Mahindra 6065
L2 Sawmill LLC

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #367 on: October 27, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »

thanks.
I do not add any weight. The IDRY drys fast so it restricts the movement . Certain wood moves does not really matter how much you try to hold . I find "pretty wood" wood with knots and character moves , good/grade lumber does not. That is why large slabs cost more, yes they are simple to saw, 1 saw cut, but it needs to be thick to allow that sap/hearwood mixture to be balanced when you flatten them. A 13' 30" wide Sugar Maple slab 2.5" thick does not have to twist very much to lose 1" over that distance. 
i sawed 1500bd ft of #1 EWP 10" wide 12' long for my SIL and dried it in 3 days, they nailed it right up on the walls, almost all of it was flat. 
I do place certain wood in different positions in the kiln. It helps weigh down the lower bundles. I seperate longer drying wood by 3x3' so I can fork on and off the trolley.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #368 on: October 29, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »

thanks.
I do not add any weight. The IDRY drys fast so it restricts the movement . Certain wood moves does not really matter how much you try to hold . I find "pretty wood" wood with knots and character moves , good/grade lumber does not. That is why large slabs cost more, yes they are simple to saw, 1 saw cut, but it needs to be thick to allow that sap/hearwood mixture to be balanced when you flatten them. A 13' 30" wide Sugar Maple slab 2.5" thick does not have to twist very much to lose 1" over that distance.
i sawed 1500bd ft of #1 EWP 10" wide 12' long for my SIL and dried it in 3 days, they nailed it right up on the walls, almost all of it was flat.
I do place certain wood in different positions in the kiln. It helps weigh down the lower bundles. I seperate longer drying wood by 3x3' so I can fork on and off the trolley.
I'm less than 2 weeks away from receiving our iDRY. Jim discussed putting 3/4" plywood on top of the pack and using ratchet straps to cinch down the stack. Have you done or tried this method?
LT50 wide
JD 4520 w/FEL

Offline Glenn1

• Drying lumber one board at a time
    • Share Post
    • GPS Hardwoods
« Reply #369 on: October 29, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
I initially started using ratchet straps and but found that they were more of a hindrance than a help.  There is no need for them since the boards are less stressed in the idry.  Also, opening the kiln regularly to tighten the straps just lets good heat out.  I haven't used anything on top other than plywood to keep the dripping water off the top boards.  

One caveat:  The longer that I have this unit, the better it dries wood.  I don't think that I'm doing anything differently but its been working better than ever.  
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
To everyone/anyone using the iDRY. Have you done much oak? If so, have you tried it green off the saw? If not, how much air drying did you allow before the iDRY? Quality, has it done a good?

I've got quit a bit of oak to do and I know it can have a mind of its own.
LT50 wide
JD 4520 w/FEL

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #371 on: November 02, 2019, 08:27:56 AM »
I initially started using ratchet straps and but found that they were more of a hindrance than a help.  There is no need for them since the boards are less stressed in the idry.  Also, opening the kiln regularly to tighten the straps just lets good heat out.  I haven't used anything on top other than plywood to keep the dripping water off the top boards.  

One caveat:  The longer that I have this unit, the better it dries wood.  I don't think that I'm doing anything differently but its been working better than ever.  
glenn1, I believe that more moisture condenses on the inside of the kiln as the outer temperature drops. During the summer my shop would be around 80-90 F . The kikn would heat up the 150-160 quite fast but the wood was not dry. Now as the shop temp is around the 60F the kiln takes longer to get to the 160F but when it get there the wood is dry. I was even thinking of adding a airconditioner to the shop next summer. 
To everyone/anyone using the iDRY. Have you done much oak? If so, have you tried it green off the saw? If not, how much air drying did you allow before the iDRY? Quality, has it done a good?

I have not put any green oak-right off the mill yet. I have dried 2000 bd ft in 4 amounts. White and Red, both came out of the kiln great. Both had been air dried for a long time.
On another load, I just pulled 3" 13' red oak slabs out of the Kiln this week. They were air dried for 2 years. I had them in the kiln for 8 days They look very nice, no honeycomb, around the 8-10% .
I am going to resaw them for the gentleman. Who ever sawed this wood for the guy did a horrible job, waves, different thickness. I am putting a carbide blade on my mill and will saw them to some sort of constant thickness that he can use. He definitly can not put them thru a planer like they are. I will also get test the moisture of the wood as I take the outer layers off

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #372 on: November 02, 2019, 09:32:03 AM »
I initially started using ratchet straps and but found that they were more of a hindrance than a help.  There is no need for them since the boards are less stressed in the idry.  Also, opening the kiln regularly to tighten the straps just lets good heat out.  I haven't used anything on top other than plywood to keep the dripping water off the top boards.  

One caveat:  The longer that I have this unit, the better it dries wood.  I don't think that I'm doing anything differently but its been working better than ever.  
glenn1, I believe that more moisture condenses on the inside of the kiln as the outer temperature drops. During the summer my shop would be around 80-90 F . The kikn would heat up the 150-160 quite fast but the wood was not dry. Now as the shop temp is around the 60F the kiln takes longer to get to the 160F but when it get there the wood is dry. I was even thinking of adding a airconditioner to the shop next summer.

I have not put any green oak-right off the mill yet. I have dried 2000 bd ft in 4 amounts. White and Red, both came out of the kiln great. Both had been air dried for a long time.
On another load, I just pulled 3" 13' red oak slabs out of the Kiln this week. They were air dried for 2 years. I had them in the kiln for 8 days They look very nice, no honeycomb, around the 8-10% .
I am going to resaw them for the gentleman. Who ever sawed this wood for the guy did a horrible job, waves, different thickness. I am putting a carbide blade on my mill and will saw them to some sort of constant thickness that he can use. He definitly can not put them thru a planer like they are. I will also get test the moisture of the wood as I take the outer layers off
I keep my shop about 60 degrees in the winter and about 72 in the summer. it'll be interesting to see how the condensation issue plays out. 
I am building a recirc system for the kiln vaccum pump supply water. At the rate of flow (.75gpm) and approx. flow will be 5% of the kiln operating time, that's 54 g/day or 378 g/week. Also, our shop water is extremely hard and can be tough on fixtures and equipment. We'll be able to fill the system with soft water from the house.

I have a a fair amount of oak slabs that have been air drying for some time that should work well. We cut some large red oak 12/4 slabs and a couple of 9" thick mantles for a new home that are going to take some time air drying. I'm not exactly sure how to handle the mantles? Maybe they'll be ready by the time he sells this home and builds the next one!  :D
LT50 wide
JD 4520 w/FEL

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #373 on: November 02, 2019, 08:24:42 PM »
You will be suprised at the mantles. I did some pine 11x11 13' long. I put them in 3 times for 6-7 days at a time. Let them sit out for a cycle and them back in. There is a low power cycle which can be used for green oak. I haven't had to use it yet. I will be sawing lots of oak this winter into the spring and see if I get to use that cycle. Jim Parker is only a phone call a way. He has been a lot of help as iget used to the kiln

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #374 on: November 03, 2019, 07:47:09 AM »
You will be suprised at the mantles. I did some pine 11x11 13' long. I put them in 3 times for 6-7 days at a time. Let them sit out for a cycle and them back in. There is a low power cycle which can be used for green oak. I haven't had to use it yet. I will be sawing lots of oak this winter into the spring and see if I get to use that cycle. Jim Parker is only a phone call a way. He has been a lot of help as iget used to the kiln
Thanks
LT50 wide
JD 4520 w/FEL

Offline Just Right

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #375 on: November 07, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
Boone,  I have dried a good bit of white oak.  First load was air dried for two weeks.  It came out pretty good.  A few sap wood pieces showed some honeycomb,  but it was straight and end checks were very minimal.  Was in the kiln for two weeks.  It is just now starting to get cold down here in GA and it takes my kiln a lil longer to get up to temp.  But,  mine is just under a shed roof.  Bout time to finish up closing it in to help with the colder temps.  

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Boone,  I have dried a good bit of white oak.  First load was air dried for two weeks.  It came out pretty good.  A few sap wood pieces showed some honeycomb,  but it was straight and end checks were very minimal.  Was in the kiln for two weeks.  It is just now starting to get cold down here in GA and it takes my kiln a lil longer to get up to temp.  But,  mine is just under a shed roof.  Bout time to finish up closing it in to help with the colder temps.  
I appreciate the info. Kiln gets loaded tomorrow morning in VT, just under 1,600 miles to my door, should be here sometime Monday. Will have to plug in the telehandler to make sure it starts Monday, supposed to be around 0  :o. I've got 6-7 loads ready to go, looking forward to getting started. I plan on starting with some of our own silver maple and ash in case I screw something up. Will run a couple of practice loads thru before customer wood. 
LT50 wide
JD 4520 w/FEL

Offline Just Right

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #377 on: November 08, 2019, 07:56:02 AM »
That is a good plan,  but you will find that it is easier than what you are thinking.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #378 on: November 08, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
Pretty hard to mess up. Press start and wait.
The other thing is clean the wood before it goes in, cut down on the sawdust and dirt . My 1st load was full of walnut, had dirt , aunts, this caused the drain which I had reduced to go down the sewer, to clog.  I have since separated and enlarged the drain and all my problems went away
The  IDRY is an accelerated air drying system.
Make sure there are no large gaps for the air to blow thru. Baffle around the bundle of wood. This makes sure that the air blows thru the wood pile.
The fan blows 1 way for 2 hrs , then blows the other way for 2 hrs.

Offline thechknhwk

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Story of the Trees
« Reply #379 on: November 08, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »
Anyone got an idea what their ROI is going to be minus your time of course which isn't free, but would be hard to account for?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Please welcome our newest sponsor! iDRY Vaccum kilns

Started by Jeff on General Board

18 Replies
Last post December 02, 2018, 08:04:14 AM
by fishpharmer
question
Need Your Input

Started by jwhuntman on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 10:27:56 PM
by jwhuntman