AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Vacutherm iDry input  (Read 7037 times)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Vacutherm iDry input
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 10:56:15 AM »
I had already heard about the bladder weight system, so thatís what I was referencing.  

Iím still wondering, if vacuum kilns eliminate drying defects, why is a weight system needed?  Just thinking out load.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Just Right

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
Gotcha.  The only reason I can think of for the bladder would be for that lil extra effect on flatter boards.  And when you get a board that is warped going in will be flat coming out.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »
I can see it reducing or eliminating drying gradient stress problems but wood is still shrinking and squirreling around. If you restrain it until it takes a set I think it would help in any kind of drying.

Offline Glenn1

• Drying lumber one board at a time
    • Share Post
    • GPS Hardwoods
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »
The bladder will exhibit 8 lbs of downforce per square inch.  Personally, Iíd Prefer to not dry my wood without some substantial weight.  A thousand lb. slab thatís 4íx4í will only exert  .43 lbs per square inch.  They will probably offer bladders in multiple sizes such as 8í and 12í lengths  to accommodate the length of your stack.  The downside is that will be sold individually.

I spent Wednesday and Thursday and it seems be be very well attended.  Especially today.  I actually walked 10 miles between the two days
Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
I am trying to understand these vacuum units. I use one up here, (Radial Kiln) but my red oak comes back with stress cracks. 
I like the idea of the ivac unit, complete and ready to go, and with a quick turnaround of product, weather it is mine or a customer. 
I like the idea of being able to schedule customers wood. An in date and an out date. Scheduling would be key..... I can custom cut a log for the customer and have it ready to go in 2 weeks....not 2-3 months
LT40HD, 742b Bobcat, Sthil v170,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
Some defects that are seen after drying are due to issues with the resource and some are due to sawing issues. The kiln will not cure them.  The wood also shrinks so shrinkage defects can occur, like around a knot.

I saw the kiln at IWF.  They are selling like popcorn.  I am impressed about the turn-key kiln.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 07:52:15 AM »
Took a look at the kiln myself and met Jim. Very nice kiln and super nice guy. Just have a problem with this budget thing.
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2018, 08:14:44 AM »
I am trying to understand these vacuum units. I use one up here, (Radial Kiln) but my red oak comes back with stress cracks.
I like the idea of the ivac unit, complete and ready to go, and with a quick turnaround of product, weather it is mine or a customer.
I like the idea of being able to schedule customers wood. An in date and an out date. Scheduling would be key..... I can custom cut a log for the customer and have it ready to go in 2 weeks....not 2-3 months
Stephen, I think it's probably a radio frequency/ vacuum kiln you're using. I've not been around one but have run rf glue presses. There is a ground plate on one face and basically an antenna plate on the other face. Punch the button and it "broadcasts" fm radio through the moisture in the glueline or the wood. The oscillating wave gets the molecules bouncing around which creates heat. In a vacuum where warm breezes don't blow it's another way to get heat energy into the wood.
On another thread we were talking about lightning strikes. Oak would often peg the machine, I'd have to dial it back and cycle a little longer. Anecdotally it is the most frequently hit tree. We figured oak is the best conductor in wood.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »
Thanks Don, I understand that. 
with the IDry, is it just using vacuum? Or does generate the heat with another heat source?

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 06:22:18 PM »
Be aware that the cost of a kiln for drying lumber (a piece of equipment) can be depreciated in the US (and Canada?) when filing taxes, even though it might look like a building.  This helps lower the cost of the kiln.  Many banks are interested in funding business investments, but you will likely need a business plan.  County extension offices can often help in developing a plan.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
Stephen1,  is the Radial kiln using steam or radio-frequency and vacuum?  Where is it made?  I am not familiar with the name.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
It is my understanding it is made in North America, it uses radio frequency and vacuum to dry the wood. I do know he has a large waiting list for his 2 kilns. When ever I have taken wood to him, I wait about 6 weeks to get it in the kiln and then i have it back in under 2 weeks. I am seeing a need for a fast turn around of Kiln Dried wood, mine or another sawyers. i would prefer not to get in the business of running a store.
In this day and age and my location to the big city Of Toronto, full of people that want their wood back yesterday, I do see the need for fast Kiln service and a sharpening service. 
Sawmills are popping up all around me and I think that servicing the Sawyer, Kiln and Sharpening I could have a nice business.  
so because of the way I have been thinking, I am paying attention to the Kiln side of the lumber, I have been doing pretty good on the sawing part, now onto something new.

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2018, 03:53:10 PM »
After much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger on the idry. Very excited about what this is going to do for our business. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2018, 06:14:41 PM »
After much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger on the idry. Very excited about what this is going to do for our business.
Sounds like a long lead time.  Obviously pictures wanted!  Our own build is so slow this would be faster.
Liking Walnut

Offline Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2018, 09:01:36 PM »
Nativewolf, there will definitely be some pics. Not excited about the lead time but what do you do. Vaccutherm is saying about ten weeks. It took about that for woodmizer to get me my mill and Baker just told me they are 6months out for a mill so I guess ten weeks isn't that long.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Looking forward to the pics.  I guess a 10 week wait is also a good sign, they are selling like crazy.
Liking Walnut

Offline Just Right

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 11:44:04 AM »
Good for you Busy.  I am leaning that way hard myself!  Can't wait to pick your brain.  I am actually going to the guy who bought the floor model from the IWF here in Atlanta a few weeks ago.  Going to see what he thinks about it.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
Good for you Busy.  I am leaning that way hard myself!  Can't wait to pick your brain.  I am actually going to the guy who bought the floor model from the IWF here in Atlanta a few weeks ago.  Going to see what he thinks about it.
Detailed report requested.  Wood quality, drying time, species he's tried, loading & unloading issues, energy use, heck what type of coffee he drinks :).
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »
Just wondering if there were any shipment updates?
Liking Walnut

Offline Just Right

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • JustRightSawing
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
I did have a chance to talk to the guy running an Idry.  They love it.  He did notice on some mega wide poplar that there was some cupping.  But nothing but good things to say.  I asked Jim parker about shipping and he said pan on 8 to 10 weeks.  Hope this helps.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
looking for input

Started by little-guy on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post January 06, 2006, 01:35:12 AM
by little-guy
question
Need Your Input

Started by jwhuntman on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 10:27:56 PM
by jwhuntman