Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Automatic diesel bleed?  (Read 759 times)

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
    • Share Post
Automatic diesel bleed?
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »
Hi everybody! 

Well, i have my crane, which cuts out often, due to a air lock.

I know automatic air vents exist for several systems. But, have you ever seen one for diesel lines? 

Thanks a lot. 

Max.  
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Automatic diesel bleed?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:20 AM »
If you have a recurring air issue its likely a cracked hose on the suction side of fuel system constantly introducing new air.  

I have seen badly airbound pumps take a lot of fussing to fully clear the lines and run good, but once they did it stayed good.  Yours should too. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:30:11 AM »
Well. Thanks Mike. 

Most of the fuel lines are on the presure side. There is a tiny bit between the fuel tank, and the pump. Less than 4 inches. The plunger in the tank is all metal. 

I might look into a wet pump. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 04:00:22 AM »
That is a pretty short stretch to be the culprit.  If its tired looking at all id probably just replace it to cross that off the list. Can you verify that the draw tube is in good shape?  No corrosion on top above the fuel level?  A pin hole there would do it for sure. 

I dont know what engine or fuel system were discussing so im at a disadvantage here.  Does the machine give hard first starts on a daily basis?  Does it "make" engine oil thats mighty thin and fuely?  A pump leaking down into the crank case will take in crankcase air as it leaks off its fuel.  

Airdog and FASS are the big name hotrod electric pumps that claim to separate air out of the fuel.  Cant tell you if its true or not but all the coal rollers swear by them. 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:16:08 AM »
It's the perkins on this one giving me grief. 

AT4.236 engine. Starts up nicely, when it's not too not cold outside. I start having trouble to start it early in the mornings in october or november. But the pre heating is long gone. I can see bubbles in the clear line from fuel filter, to the injection pump. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 07:46:11 PM »
Im still thinking the issue will be some silly little thing on the suction side.  Eventually it wont start and youll be digging into it one way or the other. 

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
Does that Perkins have the clear sediment bowls with the gasket between the bowl and filter?

Offline Oliver05262

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
Does that engine have a mechanical transfer pump on the side of the engine block, driven by a lobe on the camshaft? If so, is there any fuel seeping from the outside of the pump? Massey-Ferguson tractors that I have worked on had these start to leak after they had run many hours, and usually leaked to the outside; some had a weephole to let this leakage to escape. Earlier pumps might leak to the inside, into the crankcase, and dilute the engine oil, usually due to the pump diaphragm starting to fail, and there used to be a rebuild kit available to repair this.
 The Massey tractors, with their fuel tank above the engine, could leak a lot of fuel into the engine but never got air in or failed to start, but they were also noted as being pretty oily anyway on the outside..............
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 10:37:22 PM »
Air bubbles in the clear line you say? After you fix that suction leak you will good. Check all the fuel connections esp any 90' fittings.  Or you could ship it over here for me to repair. It will take me several years to fix.  I could find lots of uses for that tractor. What is model number if you don't mind. I will be on the lookout for one.

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, for all of your replies. 

Skeans1, yes, i have cav filters with glass bowls.  One with no filter, modified into a air trap, which doesn't work obviously.  One, as a single way filter. All returns from injection pump, injectors etc, is onto another line. And both of those are under pressure from the pump. 

Oliver05262, the mechanical pump has been replaced by an electrical pump, right on the fuel tank. So bleeding is not such a chore anymore. And i don't have the leaking problems known with the masseys. 

Kiko, too heavy to ship overseas, sorry. 

Ut's a Contant Quattro. Based on massey and landini finest, a proper bitza. 

Basicaly, the engine comes from the MF 60HX backhoe, as well as the gearbox, with a powershift.  The trasfer case, is an add on. Don't know where from. It's right under the gearbox. 

Axles are from a Landini 10000DT, both are front axles. The dashboard is from the landini 8550dt. As well as some other parts.  The crane is homemade by the manufacturer, Roux industries. Near Toulouse. 

A bit of info, on the "base" in english. 

- Yesterday's Tractors

And a bit more in French. 

VALTRAC qui connat ?

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »
Are all the gaskets good on those filters? The one in the filter head? The bowl side? The small ones for the bolts?
Weve had that issue with our Perkins 6 cylinder in the forwarder.

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 03:34:06 AM »
Skeans1, i know that those filters are crap. But they're under pressure from the pump. So they shouldn't get air in. And all the gaskets are fairly new, one on the fuel filter is from last autumn. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
1996 f-250 diesel ,automatic with pushbutton overdrive ??????????????

Started by UNCLEBUCK on General Board

22 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 10:48:20 AM
by sawguy21
xx
1964 TJ - Struggling to bleed new fuel filters

Started by nurtons on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 07:19:16 PM
by Upnorth
xx
Clark 664c quit...How to bleed fuel system?

Started by lshobie on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 05:26:54 AM
by oldseabee
xx
Mac 10-10 automatic

Started by shinnlinger on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 06:31:01 AM
by Al_Smith