Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Bad check  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Bad check
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »
What is a check? I can't recall the last time I saw one! Haven't had a check book for at least 8 or more years. Old obsolete technology in this part of the world.  

Get paid deposit by e-transfer or Interac and balance is paid BEFORE I leave site by E-transfer, Interac or Apple pay. Haven't had a payment go bad yet, and I dont cut for people that dont use those systems with their bank.

Also accept cash.       
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:25 AM »
Yeah, checks are getting to be rare beasts here too. Not even used car dealers take them any more.  :D 

Bought a new(er) car for Lil earlier in the year. Went to pick it up, borrow dealers PC, transfer money, 2 factor authentication via cellphone because of the amount, and send a confirmation to his printer. I could have done it via my own laptop and phone, but it was easier to just borrow his. 

His secretary checks on her PC a couple of minutes later. "Yup, transfer has gone through"

The "asking for drivers licence" is a valid thing. First it proves the person you are taking the check from has the same name as the one printed on the check. Second if someone is running around passing off dud checks, you have some clue as to their identity when you go to the cops. At least here, KNOWINGLY passing out bad checks counts as fraud.  "Accidentally" writing out a bad check might be considered a "civil" matter, and that can be sorted out without the cops.  But if someone is running around passing out checks on an account they know is closed, or not theirs, that will get the cops attention, especially if you have a good ID for them.

Was in town the other day. Heck the new parking meters take Visa. Good thing too, I didn't have any coins. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »
I have a "Square" to accept credit cards and have a PayPal account but I have never been asked about either and won't volunteer it as long as check$ and ca$h are available.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »
Ian & Bandmill,

Yeah, we must still be operating in the Stone Age around here using checks and such. I did a project in Norway in 2007-2009 and served as the Office Manager and I was the only one on the project with a bank account. I had the petty cash account and paid most all the local bills and such. All the bills had an account number and I'd log on to the internet and pay and get a receipt then.

I remember our company auditors did not like it because they wanted us to use 2 party checks requiring my signature and one other and Norway did not commonly use checks. The petty cash was in my name as a cash advance to me and I was entirely and personally responsible for it and kept accurate and detailed records of every Krone spent.

When they found I also worked with our other ex-pat employees to help them pay their local bills they really got upset. If the employee wanted to rent a ski lodge for the weekend or even pay a local parking ticket they'd bring me the bill and cash and I'd pay it. The auditors said that was not standard business practice. I told them it made business sense to me to keep everyone working. I could do it in a minute or so or they would have to take off for an hour or so during the middle of the day and drive a company vehicle (which was all we had) to town during the middle of the work day when the bank was open. The auditors always worked in a big central office and had never worked a field project. My boss knew and endorsed my practice so we continued till we were done with the job and closed everything down at the end.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline PAmizerman

• Full Member x2
  • Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »
A copy of the drivers license is so I have their license number to be able to track them down if it bounces. 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Traverse 6035 telehandler and a lot of back breaking work!!

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
Anyone have credit card charges reversed when a customer complains about the product they received?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
I take cash or checks.   Probably 4 bad checks in 11+ years, very embarrassed customer each time, made good on it right away. I do wonder whether taking cards might encourage more jobs. Just don't like idea of making some bank a 3% partner. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Before Pulling Your Mill....Check and Re-Check!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

44 Replies
Last post August 09, 2018, 01:44:17 AM
by Ianab
xx
Check this out...

Started by Mindy on General Board

27 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 09:27:44 AM
by ronwood
xx
Check this out