TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Cautions to take with 90cc saws?  (Read 2674 times)

Offline lxskllr

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Cautions to take with 90cc saws?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »
How do you guys line up your bore when going in from two sides? That's a small target to hit exactly right. Close enough is close enough?

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 07:00:26 PM »
How do you guys line up your bore when going in from two sides? That's a small target to hit exactly right. Close enough is close enough?
As long as your cuts overlap then "close enough" works. The wood that's left is a weak piece of cross grain and snaps off easily.  I generally use bore cutting on forward leaning trees, so when it's all set up and you cut the holding strap, any little piece of cross grain isn't an issue.
Heck I messed a couple up big time when I get new progressive lens glasses. The distortion down  my vision field made it hard to judge if the saw was level. (it wasn't  :D ) Cuts missed by about 4". Tree still went where I wanted it, and I trimmed the stump to hide the evidence.  :-[
What I usually do now do is sit the saw into the notch side to work out the "level". Then drag it out, swing the bar back, and start the plunge cut in behind the hinge. That gets you at about the right height and level, or at least "close enough". 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline lxskllr

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »

Heck I messed a couple up big time when I get new progressive lens glasses. The distortion down  my vision field made it hard to judge if the saw was level. (it wasn't  :D ) Cuts missed by about 4". Tree still went where I wanted it, and I trimmed the stump to hide the evidence.  :-[
Glad to hear confirmation of that. I got glasses last time at walmart, and the exam doctor was a little strange. Said I needed bifocals which is technically true, but I didn't want them cause I need my vision consistent, if not perfect. I work at heights a fair amount, and need to be able to see close and far at the same time, and at the same angle.  She acted like she was *pithed cause I didn't accept her recommendation, and didn't want to sell me the glasses I wanted. So far, I can look over the top and see up close fine. I need to know where my feet are though, and she didn't get it.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 01:56:15 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like my progressives. I'm badly short sighted and have worn glasses since about age 6. But as I get older a bit of normal long sightedness is kicking in as well, and I could no longer read through my single prescription lenses, and even reading a screen became a hassle. Short sighted eyes used to be able to adjust down to reading through the long distance glasses, now they can't. 

Your brain soon compensates for the distorted view, just it might take a week or 2. If you need them, get them before you take annual leave. That way you can bumble around for a few days and get used to them. :D

And they weren't cheap glasses.  :-\ The titanium frames (very light) were on special, but paid more for the high refractive and wider focus angle, to keep peripheral vision, and not be wearing Coke Bottles. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »
I have tried progressive lenses and the problem I had was at distance the only useable part of the lense was maybe the top 1/4 inch. So, if I was walking I almost had to have my chin on my chest to see. Likely just a bad pair for whatever reason.

I don't find anything necessarily more hazardous about a larger saw. As some have said you will get yourself in to tighter working areas with a smaller saw, you can maneuver them faster sometimes at your peril, doesn't take as much inertia to move them,and you may take them less seriously.

Sort of like studying every aspect of falling a big tree and then bang yourself up on something small.

Offline Pulphook

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
60" bar on a springboard ! Fugetabowtit !
Nothing like like that or needed with our Eastern timber. For this firewood non-pro the largest I've felled is ~ 36 DBH WITH my baby  ;) 16" bar on the MS261.
Besides, I couldn't begin to handle a 90cc 60"bar. The springboard ( whatever that is ??? ) scares the bejesus out of me. I cut for firewood, for clearing and volunteer trails, for fun.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
Google "150' up and still 7' in diameter". Jerry Beranek 150' up a redwood with a 7' bar on an 090 on springboards with a cast on his leg.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline realzed

• Old Fart but - I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »

Back in the day the forestry company I worked for made these noses compulsory on all our saws.
No kick back injuries with these "safety noses".

Here's one I'm demonstrating on my 7.8 h.p 066 Mag.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Willard: Excuse my inexperience here - but what makes this type of nose so less prone or 'next to impossible' (my take on what you stated) to get kickback from.. Is it the pointed shape of the nose or something else I'm not seeing?  My 20" bar on my 261 looks to have pretty much the same pointed tip as the one you show as being best for kickback issues verses the rounder (bigger radius) that the 18" and 16" versions seem normally to come as standard on a 261..  Guess what I'm sort of asking is, if a bar has the more pointed and sharper radius is or does that constitute one with less likelihood of kicking back?  

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 06:25:30 AM »
Google "150' up and still 7' in diameter". Jerry Beranek 150' up a redwood with a 7' bar on an 090 on springboards with a cast on his leg.
I've got a signed copy of that picture as well as signed copies of some of his books .The story behind that redwood is very interesting .It's also interesting about old school old growth cutting which is something you just don't see on the east coast or the heart land .Mrs Beranek ,Teri is one of my FB friends .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 06:37:18 AM »
I might add on the above it was staging supported by spring boards and bracing around the top of that big red wood .The cut was started by I think an 051 or 052  Stihl then followed by that 090 with that monster bar and I'll wager a good sum he didn't drop start  it .

I can't imagine what that thing must have weighed because my McCulloch 125 with a 48" tips the scales at over 40 pounds .

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »
I might add on the above it was staging supported by spring boards and bracing around the top of that big red wood .The cut was started by I think an 051 or 052  Stihl then followed by that 090 with that monster bar and I'll wager a good sum he didn't drop start  it .

I can't imagine what that thing must have weighed because my McCulloch 125 with a 48" tips the scales at over 40 pounds .
Iíll bet you he did, how else do you start a long bar saw? You set the tip on the boards then drop throw out well pulling back on the rope.

Offline Pulphook

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 08:20:21 AM »
Never a "drop throw" start for this one. Unsafe. Call me "chicken" :(, but starting is either in the crotch hold (tight) or on the ground.
Too much torque in most pro saws ( even the 261) to throw the running saw out of your hands.
Only up a tree with my top handled saw will I drop start.
How many of you engage the brake BEFORE starting anyhow ? I do, since saw are like firearms and ordinance .....to me.

Are springboards and 60" bars still used out on the left coast ?

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:35 AM »
Yeah once in a blue Iíve got a 60 for special oversized wood or where itís somewhere you donít want to board up. Thereís nothing like cutting your own boards and hoping they hold when climbing up.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
For many years i dropstarted the 088 with a 36"bar, that's fun!  If you don't have a good stand the saw can flip you over
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline hedgerow

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
I might add on the above it was staging supported by spring boards and bracing around the top of that big red wood .The cut was started by I think an 051 or 052  Stihl then followed by that 090 with that monster bar and I'll wager a good sum he didn't drop start  it .

About 20 years ago we bought a farm that had a house and buildings on it. There were two giant cottonwood trees in the yard that towered over top the three story house that needed to come down. Back then I didn't have a big saw. There was a gentleman in our area that had retired from the phone company in his 50's and did tree work. He came in with his bucket truck and saws and took down the two big cottonwoods. Watching him drop start his Stihl 90 with a 60 inch bar on it made my shoulders hurt. He was a giant of a man. I always start saws on the ground with the brake on. Even my smaller top handled saw.  

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
Summer of 1984 I was standing at the counter of Madsen's saw shop in Centralia, Washington.
 Sam Madsen just gave me a reconditioned 60 inch General bar with a Oregon 2 7/8" roller nose.
Sam actually gave me this bar as a gift telling me I could shorten it up to make a bar for my Yamaha bikesaw.

Just as I was holding it a veteran timberfaller in full working gear walks in and says to me "where are you cutting the big wood !!"
He said he hasn't seen a 5 footer working for years.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
A couple years back Washington state changed some rules allowing a lot of the left over old growth to be cut, at the time they didnít have anything in over 42Ē and 95cc.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 09:58:48 AM »

Back in the day the forestry company I worked for made these noses compulsory on all our saws.
No kick back injuries with these "safety noses".

Here's one I'm demonstrating on my 7.8 h.p 066 Mag.

Willard: Excuse my inexperience here - but what makes this type of nose so less prone or 'next to impossible' (my take on what you stated) to get kickback from.. Is it the pointed shape of the nose or something else I'm not seeing?  My 20" bar on my 261 looks to have pretty much the same pointed tip as the one you show as being best for kickback issues verses the rounder (bigger radius) that the 18" and 16" versions seem normally to come as standard on a 261..  Guess what I'm sort of asking is, if a bar has the more pointed and sharper radius is or does that constitute one with less likelihood of kicking back?  
Randy, yes smaller nose radius reduces kickback energy through a shorter curve in the upper quadrant area of the nose. All relative to sprocket tooth count.
Here's some pics.
On a side note Stihl discontinued a 13 tooth 3/8" sprocket nose because of liability.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
A couple years back Washington state changed some rules allowing a lot of the left over old growth to be cut, at the time they didnít have anything in over 42Ē and 95cc.
I figured that had something to do with it in that state.
When I was in Wayne's Saw Shop in Amboy, Washington that summer Wayne Sutton says to me "you have to go to Oregon to see some really big wood their logging."

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
Itís not all that uncommon to see a 3 log load headed to Stimson in Clatskanie, a couple years back o did a 2 log load thatíll put a big grin on your face.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
90cc or larger chainsaw

Started by masonjar on Wanted

2 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 02:38:07 PM
by Cut4fun
xx
A case for old Vintage Homie & Mac saws vs. new home owner grade saws..

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

22 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 09:01:56 AM
by Bret4207
xx
WTB 90cc+ chainsaw powerhead for chainsaw mill

Started by buzz-zucha on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2017, 11:57:55 AM
by buzz-zucha
xx
used saws