AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Fuel for saws  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Fuel for saws
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
I did check "pure gas" and the closest to me,as I've said is lake Erie . I don't get too excited about gasoline .Only once on a souped up Harley I did run "cam II" on occasion .Even though I've got a few hopped up chainsaws I'm not really sure how much difference it is running hi test as  to regular  gas .
Some say detonation problem but a few of mine have 23 thou piston to head deck clearance and I've never experienced it on regular gasoline .I dunno maybe we have better gas in Ohio :D --and I'm not talking about the reaction of pickled eggs and beer .

Online lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
Try pure-gas.org to find stations that sell ethanol-free gas in your area. You can also add stations you find to the list.
Mostly eastern shore, a couple in the mountains, and looks like a couple outliers for the race market. Nothing closer than the PA station I go to, but that's a good resource. I wish it were more widely available. I don't mind paying a bit more, but I'd prefer not driving ~25 miles to do so  :^/

Offline Maine372

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »
do you always buy gas at the same station? i have one station locally that i have learned to avoid when buying small engine fuel, and another that i have never had a problem with.

i only run 93 octane, and i pump a gallon into the vehicle before i start filling fuel cans to purge the hose.

is there any water, residue, contamination in your fuel cans?

just throwing out some ideas....

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
Since the new Royal Farms convenience store near me has non ethanol I buy it, but for several years I bought the 10% ethanol and added either Sta-Bil or Startron and didn't have a problem even with 6+ month old gas.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 01:13:28 AM »
do you always buy gas at the same station? i have one station locally that i have learned to avoid when buying small engine fuel, and another that i have never had a problem with.

i only run 93 octane, and i pump a gallon into the vehicle before i start filling fuel cans to purge the hose.

is there any water, residue, contamination in your fuel cans?

just throwing out some ideas....
id rather kill my saw or weed whacker before killing a $12,000 cummins and voiding my warranty due to neglect. 

i use 5gal racing cans for my gas, and 5gal jerry cans for diesel. i rinse my gas cans out with denatured alcohol and let them air out 30min and then put the cap back on before going to the airport, and before the airport, the local fuel stop, which has has 2-3 fuel drops a day during the summer months, and 1-2 during winter. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 01:23:08 AM »
I will NEVER run 100LL in my chainsaws. I have no desire to inhale the lead-laced exhaust that would be coming out of my chainsaw a couple of feet from my face. I'm fortunate to have non-ethanol auto fuel conveniently available. If I did not, I'd just run E10 gas and make sure I didn;t leave it sitting in my saw when not in use.
i can understand that. i do smell a difference in the exhaust when running LL, compared to reg gas. 
From what iv been told by several small eng svc centers, leaving the fuel in the lines and carb, and more so, leaving the lines and carb empty is bad on these small unit. it may be just their way of trying to sell me on buying their ethanol free premix, @ $12 a qt. during firewood season, i could buy a new power head for the amount i would spend buying their premix.

Temple, Tx

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »
it may be just their way of trying to sell me on buying their ethanol free premix, @ $12 a qt. during firewood season, i could buy a new power head for the amount i would spend buying their premix.

When I buy a new piece of equipment, I'll buy a can or two of premix, if it qualifies me for an extended warranty (if I recall, Husqvarna does that - or at least they did when I bought a weed whacker a while ago). Other than that, I never use the stuff. As you noted, it's just too DanG expensive.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
I think that use of recommended fuels and oils are more hype and hoopla .I did however buy one brand new weed wacker of the popular orange and white color scheme that came with a couple of bottles of "ultra" which I did use but mixed at 32 to 1 instead of 50 to 1 .I even buy more every so often .It does okay,can't complain .BTW that weed wacker after 4-5 years has never missed a beat .Never failed to start ,never had the carb settings touched since it came from the dealer .Very unusual for me .

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »
it may be just their way of trying to sell me on buying their ethanol free premix, @ $12 a qt. during firewood season, i could buy a new power head for the amount i would spend buying their premix.

When I buy a new piece of equipment, I'll buy a can or two of premix, if it qualifies me for an extended warranty (if I recall, Husqvarna does that - or at least they did when I bought a weed whacker a while ago). Other than that, I never use the stuff. As you noted, it's just too DanG expensive.
If the equipment is being used on a regular basis I agree but my saws only get fired occasionally so premix makes sense. I need to see if they will start then switch over.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
If the equipment is being used on a regular basis I agree but my saws only get fired occasionally so premix makes sense.

Yeah, that premix is supposed to have a longer shelf life.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 02:50:56 PM »
Al_Smith i concur. Power tool have a tendency to start giving me crap 3-4 yrs after owning it. But my kombi power head is 6yrs old and it has just started acting a fool. Iv only been running av gas for the past 2yrs. Iv replaced the primer bulb 4x and the pick up tube in the tank 1x and regapped the plug 2x. 
The kombi i had prior to this 1 lasted 2yrs and it just crapped out. I had extended warranty on it, took it in for not cracking. Spark was getting to plug and it smelled as if it was getting fuel but no combustion. 
They sent it off and stihl said all repairs were out of pocket bc there was chocolate milk in the valve cover, even though he gasket was not torn and the factory tq stripe was still on the mount screw. 
I bought a new head and put the old 1 in my shed, in hopes of fixing it 1 day, but 6yrs later and its still sitting
Temple, Tx

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
I've never had good luck with so called extended warranties .It' s mostly ink on paper .
As far as "pre mix" ,whatever floats your boat .I'm too much old school to even consider it .Now the mix oil from the famous orange and white saws,it's good oil but I won't mix it 50 to one .My saws my rules . 8)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »
I've never had good luck with so called extended warranties .It' s mostly ink on paper .
As far as "pre mix" ,whatever floats your boat .I'm too much old school to even consider it .Now the mix oil from the famous orange and white saws,it's good oil but I won't mix it 50 to one .My saws my rules . 8)
I've never outright bought an extended warranty, but I need fuel anyway, and I like the metal bottles they come in: I refill them and carry one in a backpack or stuff it in a pocket when I'm working with a chainsaw or my brush cutter in an area where I don't have my tractor or other vehicle. The price is way too much of a rip-off for me to buy it on a regular basis.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
I mix my fuel 1:50 with stihl oil since 20 years and have never ever changed a piston/cylinder in any 2 stroke engine.  And we run them hard and in very hot temperatures with high humidity. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
Oh no! Could @Al_Smith have started another round of The Great Oil Mix Debate? I'd like to think it was inadvertent, but knowing Al ...

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
Nay I say . ;) However in the back of my mind,however small it is I some how knew it would fire up a rebuttal .I'll just sit on the sidelines and giggle once it gets started .You watch if it goes on long enough somebody will suggest 90 WT gear lube and Coleman lantern fluid .The internet,thank you Al Gore  :D

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »
I mix my fuel 1:50 with stihl oil since 20 years and have never ever changed a piston/cylinder in any 2 stroke engine.  And we run them hard and in very hot temperatures with high humidity.
Yes teakwood - but you are the well deserved Timbersports Champ, (which I think is awesome) and have the evidence to back it up!!! Unlike us mere mortals!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Online realzed

• Full Member x2
  • Old Fart but - I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »
My own take on this 'fuel thing' led me to initially try and get the best and highest octane pump gas around here which I'm told is supposed to be Shell Ultra (91 octane) which also isn't supposed to contain any ethanol.. I mix it 50/50 with 100 LL av gas and use the Stihl Ultra oil at a 40:1 mixture.  I always used the same oil at a 50:1 ratio previously and no av gas in my previous MS290 saw - but I feel my new 261CM probably deserves the extra bit of oomph the av gas might bring since the octane ratings at the pump seem to be getting lower all of the time around here, and all of my trimmers (hedge & grass) other saws and even lawn mowers, seem to run happier and somewhat cooler on it.
Maybe I'm fooling myself in believing it all is a better set up - but it helps me feel better about it - so for that reason it's worth the extra trouble and bit of expense associated with doing it!  

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »
Well it isn't like a chainsaw,even a big one is going to inhale gasoline like a turbo charged over bored,stroked  Ford 460 marine engine running full throttle .That thing could suck down more gas in one hour  than a Stihl 290 could in three years to the average user .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fuel Ratio for Modded saws

Started by Daniel J on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2016, 03:49:09 PM
by motohed
xx
A case for old Vintage Homie & Mac saws vs. new home owner grade saws..

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

22 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 09:01:56 AM
by Bret4207
moved
MOVED: Rentech opens synthetic fuel plant in Colorado Jet & Diesel fuel

Started by Tom on General Board

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 11:11:44 AM
by Tom
xx
Rentech opens synthetic fuel plant in Colorado Jet & Diesel fuel