TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Worth fixing?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Worth fixing?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »
You can find the parts on flea bay if nothing else .I'd however dissect the saw first to check it's innards because it might not be worth tossing a bunch of money at .If it's bad toss it in a box and put it on the shelf eventually a donor might show up .

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 08:07:45 AM »
I'd however dissect the saw first to check it's innards because it might not be worth tossing a bunch of money at .If it's bad toss it in a box and put it on the shelf eventually a donor might show up .
Probably a good idea. If it was an easy fix, I have to wonder why all those parts got pulled off it in the first place.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
Well,think about it .All that's left are the bones.The covers are gone,chain brake gone .The muffler front has been removed .It might be toast or something as simple as a carb needing rebuilt .
Anybody that gets into rebuilding/restoration needs a little patience before they even think about it .Parts will come .I personally would see no sense for instance to drop 350 bucks in a saw worth 250 .Some do though I'm just not one of them .

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 09:16:46 PM »
If you know how to buy junk right then its worth fixing.  If you dont mind chinese parts and dont need it running for 6 months, that is also in the junk collectors favor. Cheap stuff comes along but only to those who wait a long time for it. 

If you need it running tomorrow and want all oem, then its uneconomical to fix old saws, wiser to just go buy another that runs and call this a parts donor.  

Basket case saws dont make any sense until you have like 3 of them to make one runner.  Once you have a collection of one model its hard to quit buying out every other collection you encounter cheap enough. Ive bought a few dozen free to $15 pro saw baskets over a decade of hobby rebuilding.  But its a lifestyle and not for everyone.  One guy ties fly lures, another golfs, someone elses fixes saws.  When you fix other peoples saws, they tend to dump their basket cases on you free.   Add a piece here and there, you got a "new" saw.
Revelation 3:20

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »
You also have to look at it another way, if it costs $300 to fix or $900 for a new one, is it worth it to you to fix. If you get cheap Chinese parts your price could go down to $200 or less if you want to compromise.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline realzed

• Old Fart but - I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
As Al stated earlier though - it certainly makes a ton of sense to see what you have in hand already before setting out buying parts.. as you may not have enough good roots to build anything from..

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
So you park it on the shelf and go on with life.   another will come along broken and cheap that has most of what this one is missing.  Then its "worth" fixing.

Once its a runner, you can part out the leftovers on ebay and have yours paid for.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
Again it's not for everybody .Slightly off topic I have a 1962 Jeep CJ5 I inherited when my dad passed .It was made from the parts of two or three .In essence he had very little in it .If you keep at anything very long you can accumulate a lot of parts,tools etc .After a while you might not be able to find them though but you know there some place .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Is my mizer worth fixing?

Started by carykong on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 01:07:03 AM
by carykong
xx
056 stihl worth fixing?

Started by Tony_T on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2005, 05:30:43 PM
by Ianab