iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wide slabbing band mill

Started by Busysawyer, August 25, 2018, 09:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

We are considering adding a wide slabbing band mill to our operation.  Looking for options and opinions.  I'll list the options I've found in the order of price. Highest to lowest.
The big boy woodmizer wm 1000, Hudson mills oscar 60 and cooks sw62. I've been doing well the last couple weeks on the smaller slabs I'm able to cut on the 70 wide but I'm missing out big time on the single slab table market.  I would really like the wm 1000 but its pricey.  Does anyone know any other options besides the three listed above? Anyone here running one of these three?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nopoint

Saw a tru cut in operation today for the first time. This one was totally manual but solidly built deck etc. needs power feed in my opinion, think it might be an option on more expensive versions. Slabing some 4' wide oak did a nice job.

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

we've been doing a bit of slabbing on a Lucas swing blade mill with the dedicated slabber, works well. 
Liking Walnut

Bruno of NH

Thomas Bandsaw mills has a wide unit.
Tru-cut has a full powered up/down
With power feed unit.
A member has a Tru-cut
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Satamax

Hey Busysawyer. 

Can't you find a cheap enough WM1000? 

Otherwise, you could may be find a Loglogic autotrek in the states?   Or a CD8 from Brenta.  

If ever one made it to the states. 

HORIZONTAL BANDSAW CD - YouTube

I have the little sister, a CD4. 

Or even may be import one? 

There's two for sale on Fordaq for the moment. One mobile, one fixed. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Busysawyer

4x4 I have ten kids and am trying start up and run a new business. I dont have time to pick my nose, no way I have time to build something. 
Mm, thank you for the info.
Everyone else thank you for letting me know about some other options to research and consider. I'm not sure if I should go with one of the more expensive options or go with a more affordable option for now. I have a local business who wants to buy 30 slabs per month in the 40in plus range and a few other buyers that need 2-3 per month. Then there is the people looking for a single slab at full retail. 

terrifictimbersllc

I have a Peterson WPF10 with the slabber attachment.  Mostly chain slabbing is what I use it for.  I think you would do well with it or the Lucas equivalent if you were set up at home base and could handle the logs and slabs.  The swing mill/add on slabber  with either mfgr is more expensive than a dedicated slabber which aren't that expensive even new and look like would serve your needs well. 

Wide bandsawing is a different story.  Look what the guy who is building one in the link given above has gotten himself into.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

shenandoahsawmill

I am not sure that a narrow  blade, bandsaw mill (below 3" wide)  is up to the task of cutting wide slabs on a production basis. With everything perfect ( bandsaw blades very sharp, aligned well and slow feed rate) this might be possible. If one of these variables is not perfect, all bets are off. A wide bandsaw mill of 5" or wider is more forgiving in all three of these parameters. You might want talk to a WM 1000 owner/operator who saws on a production basis for more info. 

Satamax

shenandoahsawmill, i have a wide band. 5 inch or so, with 4 inch wheels. All metal construction. and i can tell you that from what i see on other's videos with narrow bands, wide band, thick kerf, when it gets dull, is no better than narrow thin kerf blades. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9dKNMIlNpc

When the blade wants to cut wavy, it does! 

shenandoahsawmill

I started sawing slabs with a double ended CSM with 2 090s then switched to an LT 40 then a Peterson with clip on slabber then the 5" wide double cut band mill with a 42" throat that I use now. I would prefer to never go backwards through that progression. Yes the 5" wide band cuts wavy boards occasionally when I am really pushing it or it is very dull but it stays accurate much longer and saws 8 times faster than the CSM and 2 to 3 times faster than the narrow band.

gmmills

Give Baker a call. They were demoing a wide slabbing mill at the Richmond Expo this year. Impressive machine. Very well built. The Hudson is way too light for any real repeatable accuracy at any productive rate. I have seen one up close a couple of years back.  You could grab on to one of the four posts of the head frame and were able to shake the whole flimsy head.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

shenandoahsawmill

Here are a couple of pics. of the Baker at the Richmond expo;

redbeard

Not sure why you think the Hudson 60 mill is light duty, I find it quite durable and with the 34 hp Kabota diesel it will make a pile of 48"-50" wide slabs quickly.
I have had no problem with using .055 x 1-1/2" band blades.  Slabs are one of the many uses of having a wide head sawmill, breaking big logs down to manage better on our other sawmill is the main use. Finding figured wood in wide crotches is another. Only time there has been a problem is when quartering 40" dia + logs when taking a center cut at the pith you have to put some wedges in as your milling or it will pinch blade as you exit log, it has happened twice in a dozen times. There's 28" of room above the blade that's some heavy wood. Especially when milling 30' + beams.
As far as Slab production I guess it comes down too how many slabs you wanna mill in a day.
Most slabbing mills including the Hudson 60 will definitely out slab the energy you have of handling the slabs the mill can produce in a day.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Busysawyer

Thank you guys for all the options and opinions. Looks like a have a few more options to consider and research.  I had a nice conversation on the phone with redbeard last night and he is very pleased with his oscar 60. The only negative that caught my attention for me would be the max blade height. It sounds like the head might not travel up far enough to start slabbing at the top of really big logs. 
Shenendoah dies the price on that Baker say 16600? 

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Busysawyer on August 27, 2018, 07:55:45 PMShenendoah dies the price on that Baker say 16600?
I'd buy 2 at that price  :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Busysawyer

Ld , I know it. I cant see the pic that well but it sure looks like 16600. Doesnt seem right.

Southside

$46,660. I saw it run at the show.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

S.s, that makes more sense.  What did they have powering it? I was planning on calling Baker today but ran out of time.

Southside

I don't remember, but I do recall feeling sorry for the poor guy running it. Getting those puppies off the mill was a chore .
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Hey, you know a fabric maker?  Give them a call show em what you want done get a quote write a check boom done.
Boy, back in my day..

mapleack

That looks like 46,660.  Still not that much more than a wide Hudson?
Norwood LM2000

Busysawyer

Well I talked to Baker and they sent me a quote.  They said price went up a little due to tarrifs. 48,165 base price. That is powered by 50 horse 3phase. Includes enough track to slab a 12' log, joystick controls and a basic set works. The blade will go all the way up to 72" off the bed. It seems like a lot of mill for the money. Add on options are pretty pricey, 800 bucks for each additional 1ft of track and 830 bucks for each clamp.  No clamps are included in the base price, 6 months lead time if ordered now.  At this point it looks like the Baker is the mill for us. I'm considering a used Lucas or Peterson slabber to buy now and resell when we can get a wide bandmill.  Anyone know where I can find a used one in decent shape? 

shenandoahsawmill

This is just me, but before I put almost $50,000 into a mill I would verify a couple of things. Can a narrow band cut wide 24" plus, accurate material on a production basis? You might contact Baker and ask if they can get you in contact with an owner of that mill for an un-biased opinion after they have run the mill for a few months. Another thing to consider is the cost to bring three phase power in to power a 50 HP mill. You would be wise to get a quote from your local power company before putting money into the mill. 

redbeard

One thing too consider is clamping,
On the typical band mills that were all used too the log goes tight to the log stops.
Live edge slab sawing you want too be able to clear the  fixed guide roller or shoes. So you want to be able too secure the log on both sides of clamps too clear irregular knots and inculsions on both sides.  Looks like the Baker has nice log clamps for that. 
The 72" blade height is really nice.
What was the max width and height above blade?

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Busysawyer

Shenendoah,  I talked to the power company before I built my barn because I already have some 3 phase equipment.  My property is zoned industrial and is adjacent to a large industrial park. I have 3 phase at the road.  Cost here is based on anticipated consumption , running a 50 horse electric mill would lower the cost to get the power from the road to my barn. Cut quality is a concern of mine. My 70 wide head cuts near 36" wide extremely consistent, the only issue I have is lack of hp. From what i hear Baker is a good company and if it doesn't cut right I'll send it back and get my money back.  The way I see it is there is already a 6 month wait.  If I wait a few months to see how they are performing before I order who knows how long the wait is. I have a market lined up that will pay that 50g back to me very quickly and everyday I'm not able to provide what they are wanting to buy is lost money. I need a slabber here yesterday not in a few weeks or months.  Sawing high dollar walnut slabs on a chainsaw mill like a Lucas or Peterson just doesn't make sense long term. Turning an extra 1000 dollar plus  slab into sawdust on every large log doesnt seem like a long term solution.  If I can't get a bandmill that cuts true then I guess that's the only option but its worth trying to find one. I'm on the hunt for whatever chain slabber I can get here the quickest and use that until I can get a bandmill that will get the job done.
Redbeard,
The Baker clamps look pricey but nice. Thanks for the tips. I honestly didnt even think to ask about clearance above the blade because for what I plan on doing with the mill it doesn't come into play like it does for you quartering logs. For me this is going to be a pure slabbing machine. 

Brad_S.

Just throwing this in here for the heck of it. I have always wanted to see one of these saws in action!
https://www.lmsaws.com/copy-of-log-cut-off-saws

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

teakwood

Quote from: Busysawyer on August 29, 2018, 06:32:56 PM
Shenendoah,  I talked to the power company before I built my barn because I already have some 3 phase equipment.  My property is zoned industrial and is adjacent to a large industrial park. I have 3 phase at the road.  Cost here is based on anticipated consumption , running a 50 horse electric mill would lower the cost to get the power from the road to my barn. Cut quality is a concern of mine. My 70 wide head cuts near 36" wide extremely consistent, the only issue I have is lack of hp. From what i hear Baker is a good company and if it doesn't cut right I'll send it back and get my money back.  The way I see it is there is already a 6 month wait.  If I wait a few months to see how they are performing before I order who knows how long the wait is. I have a market lined up that will pay that 50g back to me very quickly and everyday I'm not able to provide what they are wanting to buy is lost money. I need a slabber here yesterday not in a few weeks or months.  Sawing high dollar walnut slabs on a chainsaw mill like a Lucas or Peterson just doesn't make sense long term. Turning an extra 1000 dollar plus  slab into sawdust on every large log doesnt seem like a long term solution.  If I can't get a bandmill that cuts true then I guess that's the only option but its worth trying to find one. I'm on the hunt for whatever chain slabber I can get here the quickest and use that until I can get a bandmill that will get the job done.
Redbeard,
The Baker clamps look pricey but nice. Thanks for the tips. I honestly didnt even think to ask about clearance above the blade because for what I plan on doing with the mill it doesn't come into play like it does for you quartering logs. For me this is going to be a pure slabbing machine.
If you get your the 50k back pretty quick just order the mill asap, maybe the fabric can delivery it in a shorter time.
Are there any used mills around that you can buy? so you at least start cutting in the next 2 weeks? If money isn't a problem because you have the costumers than i would just pull the trigger and go for both mills, the used and the new. they will pay for themself. after some month you decide if you sell the used one or what suits you best. maybe you will keep both!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

JB Griffin

To me there is only one band slabber on the market at this time and its BLUE.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

charles mann

Quote from: 4x4American on August 25, 2018, 09:41:38 PM
You could always do what Matthew Cremona did:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0dX5redvVZQT-bJ-HNfrJEXlQJleCwun
that is what I'm doing. i bought his plans, even though after watching his vids 3x, i think i could have done it w/o buying, but the plans had manufactures and part number of some things i saw of interest. i will modify his plans on my build. i wasn't thinking about the live edge and clearing the irregularities of the logs, so to get a true 68" cut width, i think the entire mill will have to be widened, which i wasn't budgeting for that. but its only 1 extra rectangular and 1 square tubing. but it adds 1 extra jack bolt on the bed cross members just for safety measures to handle the weight. i figure the 100hp 4bt cummins will have plenty of power to pull through that much wood, and run a small hydraulic pump for the feed in/out, raise/lower, and log leveling for the time being, and adding a log turner at a later date.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

nativewolf

Yep I could get Matt Cremona's plans done for $15k, via a Mennonite shop build.  For another $5k they'd lengthen and widen a bit and install it for another thousand.  $21k in a really nice wide slabbing sawmill.  Matt estimated his cost him about 10k or so, if I recall correctly.

In addition, Matt's standup guy.  Very approachable and eager to help others.  
Liking Walnut

quilbilly

It's an expensive unit but Serra sawmills Africa model is big and burly and wide band.
a man is strongest on his knees

PA_Walnut

Quote from: nativewolf on September 01, 2018, 03:23:31 PMYep I could get Matt Cremona's plans done for $15k, via a Mennonite shop build.  For another $5k they'd lengthen and widen a bit and install it for another thousand.  $21k in a really nice wide slabbing sawmill.  Matt estimated his cost him about 10k or so, if I recall correctly. In addition, Matt's standup guy.  Very approachable and eager to help others.  

$21K sounds appealing until you start getting your head wrapped around moving that log around. Need some BIG...no, HUGE equipment to start moving around 5,6,7' diameter logs. Then saw a 3" slab and another back-breaking proposition. Add $50K+ for back surgery! :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

mike_belben

You could have a big chainsaw slabber on a rail bed built in 3 days and start satisfying your customer before he finds someone who will.  

Get that fish on the line now.  Worry about which mill makes less waste later.  Be a real big waste if HE orders a mill before you get set up.

[Edit] what if the big buyer finds someone else WHILE your new mill is being built?  Will they let you cancel the order? 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!