AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Stihl 880 failed to start  (Read 2763 times)

Online Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl 880 failed to start
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
Well that was short lived. 880 is back to running like a turtle. Won't hit the high rpms and no power in the cut. New carb fixed it for about 10 tanks of fuel. Any one have any ideas? Using 91 octane rec. Fuel and stihl oil. My 4 other saws have zero issues.  I'm perplexed. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
That's really frustrating! Did you pull the plug and have a look? This saw doesn't have the electronic carb or anything like that?
Too many irons in the fire

Online Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
Barbender, I didnt pull the plug yet. It is a standard carb no mtronic.  I had my neighbor the retired stihl tech stop over and take a look at it. He said it was going to be a hard one for the mechanic to diagnose and fix. He told me to politely push for a new saw.  The carb screws make very little change in the way it runs. He said he has turned quite a few stock 880s and a tenth of a turn should produce noticable changes.  He turn the high and low from stop to stop and it barely effects the way the saw runs. At least I got to see the true power this saw will produce when running right for a few days. Back to the dealer Monday morning.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »
I am by no means an expert, but my experience has been that when the saw won't respond to the screws, it's time to start looking for an air leak. 

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
Maybe it's just a lemon, a Monday saw! try to talk them in for a new saw! Then they can figure it out and you can go back to work!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Online Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
Barbender, from my limited experience with dirt bikes and snow mobiles air leaks cause a lean condition. This thing is running extremely rich, blowing smoke. Bogging like the carb is loading up. If you blip the throttle just right sometimes you can get past the bog and it will clean up and rev. But still blows smoke. My mind immediately goes to carb issues but this is the second carb. Then again a new carb fixed it for a few days.
Teakwood, everytime I talk to the dealer about the saw I refer to it as my "lemon saw". I keep telling them I'm very pleased with my other stihl purchases from them but the 880 is is junk.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 02:54:02 PM »
Busy, you're right. That spark plug was real black. I really don't know what would cause a chainsaw carb to overfuel, without a float in it. Maybe a coil/timing issue? I've read of saws with a sheared flywheel/crank key, I don't remember the symptoms though. I'm just throwing fairly 
random thoughts out there.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »
I second that opinion about time for a new saw.  Certainly needs to be fixed or replaced, but it's become and experiment.  All on your time.
HM126

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »
This morning I wrote a well thought out response but I deleted it without posting.  The short version of this morning's reply was that the nearly new 880 is not a toy, but rather, a tool that you rely on to make part of your living with.  You have enough irons in the fire that you should not have to bother tinkering around with a nearly new saw that has had several trips to the dealer and it still does not perform as it should.  It is time for them to replace it with a new, correctly functioning 880.  

I hope it works out well and that the dealer stands behind their product.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
Yep, a pro saw should make you money, not waste your time.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online Busysawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Something really strange is going on with this saw. Just for kicks I started it this morning before I was leaving to bring it in. What do ya know, the darn thing is running like a top. I had some work I needed to do with the saw so I kept it here. I did go to the dealer just to talk to them in person and let them know what was going on with it. I asked about the warranty and replacement of the saw if it keeps giving me trouble.  They said i actually have a two year warranty on it, not the 1 year I thought. They said next time it acts up bring it in and they will fix or replace it . I ran through 6 tanks of fuel today without a single hiccup. This thing cuts so well when it's running right and spinning a sharp chain. 

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 09:54:41 PM »
Sounds like you've got a good dealer.  

It's takes a good while to trust a horse after he bucks you off for no reason.  Maybe that saw will straighten up and fly right now.  
HM126

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
Sounds like you have a loose wire, intermittent electrical issue or intemittant choke, fuel or airflow issue.   The carbs been replaced so its probably not the problem, but when the carb was replaced, it caused a temporary disturbance and fixingof the real problem, which comes and goes.  The key is that it can heal itself, so something is moving, reconnecting, or leaking/resealing.  Is the choke linkage opening and closing properly?  What about the fuel lines? Are they tight, no kinks or crimps? Is the compression release functioning correctly?  Are the throttle linkages intact? Loose wire or issue with electrical system can heal themselves, choking and un-choking can heal them selves, compression release can heal itself, bad plug wire connection, intermittent kill switch ground, etc can heal themselves.  Is the gas cap vent working properly?    

Do you have a tachometer?  Or an ohm meter? Spark indicator?  Id open it up and start tugging and testing to make it fail, and identify the root cause.

Or better yet, when it starts acting up again, walk in the front door, lay it down on the counter, grab a new one off the shelf, and swap it out.  Let them play with it.   ;D

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl HT 101 Ext c-saw, will start, won't run?

Started by tstex on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 05:41:13 PM
by fuzzybear
xx
Stihl 031 won't start.

Started by ahiggins1 on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2009, 11:55:55 PM
by ahiggins1
xx
Stihl 018 Will not start