iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Can I use .50 gauge chain on .58 gauge drive sprocket  (Read 2994 times)

Online lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Re: Can I use .50 gauge chain on .58 gauge drive sprocket
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Well, some good news.  I made a bar rail closer today and just as i was about to give up on it.. The last tweak got it to start working.  I closed the groove up to a snug fit and dressed the until the chain would pass.  Even with dull cutters and rails unsquared, it cut straight as an arrow.  
How did you do it; just hammer it out?
I was gonna suggest making a drop hammer, but it isn't something I've ever done, and didn't have the assembly fully fleshed out. Generally speaking, I was imagining a heavy bottom anvil, then another heavy piece of steel that rides on guides. Lift the top piece, drop it on the bar. It should get the rails straight and flat. Problems are finding the steel at a good price, having the faces milled to tight tolerances, and not deforming the bar. Not sure if it would work, but if you have access to steel, it might be an interesting project.

Offline labradorguy

• Full Member x2
  • I stand for our Anthem
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »

I guess I struck a nerve. I was referring to people I have actually witnessed live and in person spending the whole day in the woods and never one time take a chain off. They carry 10 pounds of filing contraptions on them and they spend more of their day sitting on a stump fiddling around than they spend cutting. All their effort is worthless though because at the end of the day, their chain is toast.
Hmmm, vastly different bunch of people than I have ever cut with, LOL  We gather each year to cut wood for the ministry and I never cease to be amazed by all the dull chains and no files or sharpening equipment of any kind to be seen,,, other than mine. They bring a saw with dull chain installed, a can of stale fuel and something oily looking to put in the bar oil hole, maybe another dull chain or two.  Been told more than once that I was wasting my time touching up a chain after fueling, once by a fellow who had just spent a good 10  minutes getting through a 24" log with a 70CCsaw.
You would think after the wood turned black and started smoking he would begin to think that he may need to alter his technique. LOL
Kind of like the guy who takes chunks off when he grinds his chain. The whole cutter turns black ummmm o-kayyyy..... then it turns ORANGE. Dude? Really??
Our local farm store sells these funky Chinese grinders that are SO bad. I think they do it on purpose because their chain sales double or triple. They say three grinds and the cutters are gone. Wow...
I did try one of those little 12v grinders a guy had. After a long day running something like a 395XP or something similar and doing touch up filing on 36" bar chains (even skips), the fingers are worn out right? So this guy has one of these 12v things that are made by Stihl (probably marketed by is more accurate) and I was all for trying something new. It actually worked pretty well once you took the guides off. I had hammered a full chisel pretty hard in a couple huge hickory trees and it did a pretty quick and nifty job of getting it back into shape. I may buy one and fiddle around with it a little more. 
I think the biggest mistake a lot of people make is letting their chain go too long before sharpening or switching out....
CAT 299Dxhp, CAT 311F
Mahindra mPower85 & 6500 4wds
Ext. deck Bell's 4000, 35' Conveyor, Griz, Tumbler
Ford trucks, POS skidder that will be the end of me
Woodlandia mill
Husqvarna 371xp and 395xp- my favs.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »
How did you do it; just hammer it out?
I was gonna suggest making a drop hammer, 
I actually saw a tool for it on youtube that looked like a punch on top and an opened banana peel on bottom.  Instead of a chisel with a vee it had an upside down Y that you hammered over the rails to close them up and it came with limiter inserts to land at the desired gauge.  Pretty slick. 
I made a double bearing roller jig that clamps in the vice.  Gotta shove the bar thru it back and forth pretty hard but it worked.  
Its a worn out cam follower bearing welded through a hole in the plate with a taper ground in so its fatter on bottom.  The pressure die so to speak is a volvo timing belt idler with a jack screw shoving it against the bar.  I tried with 2 cam followers but the bar just bowed between them.  You gotta use two bearings only and its gotta push only near the bottoms.  

I need to grind the big bearing too so itll hopefully bend both rails in at the same time. I dont think you can pinch more than two, maybe 3x  before you run out of shelf for the chain to ride on.  And ya need to dress the rails on a sander or grinder to resquare them after closing up.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 12:20:20 AM »
Here a dealer who is serious about service will stock rolls of the popular sizes, not everybody runs a Stihl or Husky. Lots of farmers and weekend warriors still have their dad's old Mac or Homey with oddball drive link counts. The larger logging companies order by the roll as well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »
I made a real simple track guide chainsaw mill with X and Y axis plus log clamp and backstops.  Tried it today and the bar that i thought was trash made my best CSM cut ever, without even sharpening the chain or squaring the rails yet.

I am amazed at how critical groove width is on a saw bar.  This thing wouldnt buck straight for 4 inches and it slabbed perfect for 6 feet after a rail closeup.   

Offline Greenerpastures

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2018, 08:16:41 AM »
Matter sorted

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
Thats a bummer about the runaround and poor etiquette GP.   

But keep in mind, excess oil is a LOT better than insufficient oil in a 2stroke. 

Offline Greenerpastures

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
Thats a bummer about the runaround and poor etiquette GP.  

But keep in mind, excess oil is a LOT better than insufficient oil in a 2stroke.
Hi mike_belben
Matter sorted
I can't say more here though.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Chain drive gauge

Started by bandmiller2 on Chainsaws

15 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 06:44:02 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Question on .050 gauge vs .063 gauge bars

Started by Furu on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 08:41:01 PM
by sawguy21