TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Huricane Florence  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Huricane Florence
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »
We saw caravans of service trucks/personnel stopping to eat and fueling up yesterday. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Glad to hear all are safe.

Caveman, I hope and pray he and others assisting stay safe and return home in as good a shape as they left in....maybe a bit more tired!

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »
I was talking to a woman at the bank Thursday, she said that her son and another person (Power company workers) were heading south from here in Nova Scotia to provide help .

Online firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »
Nativewolf, Iím sorry to report that my guys have rescued 27 folks from a special needs facility in Leland and 2 from from a location in Bolivia.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
I came pretty close to parking dozer and forktruck on either side of camper to strap it down through a storm last year.  But then figured it'd probably only serve to tear the roof open. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
Nativewolf, Iím sorry to report that my guys have rescued 27 folks from a special needs facility in Leland and 2 from from a location in Bolivia.
Man all the FEMA teams are doing great work and heaven knows that Leland needed all the help you could give it (well more than FEMA can do but that's besides the point).  Thanks to all you guys for doing your best.  Really something to disrupt lives to such an extent.
Ok, back to joking:  Maybe it is not over yet and the whole thing can still slide on out to sea.  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »

Well...if they bother saving anything in Leland I would say tax dollars ill used  :D.  Hopefully they'll move just up the road to Wilmington or Burgaw (home of the firewood kiln guys kilndirect) the rest of leland can float out with the debris and folks can just jump off the debris as it floats past wilmington out to the sea.  

Are you talking about human beings here?  Would those be the poor and disenfranchised that cannot afford to evacuate?
Oh, it is an old Wilmington joke, I have classmates from there, we're joking around about the same thing on Facebook as I type.  Actually today Leland is much more "developed" than it once was.  But if you wanted to drugs or to see incest in motion Leland was a good bet when I last lived in the area.  
Actually I suspect it is just the right spot for a FEMA team and I am very grateful that all these FEMA responders accept such disruption to their lives and go out to help others, it's not for the money and it's great that they are doing this. 

Liking Walnut

Online firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2018, 05:40:42 PM »
The FEMA search and rescue task forces come from 28 states.  We are all assembled in the same way.  We each have 3 teams and are on a month to month rotation.  There are about 200 of us on the Task Force at any time.  It is not my month, but I would gladly be there if it were my month.  Iím not gonna lie, we get paid for deployments, but we all join it because we have a passion for serving and for doing the types of things that we do.  The task force is made up of many disciplines, including doctors, engineers, radio people, etc.  We all have to do very extensive training to get on the team and then we have to do training every quarter, plus take part in a mock deployment each year.  We are not paid for any of that.  Our employers(mostly fire departments) are very cooperative.  We fall under the same laws pertaining to military members who may be deployed.  They have to let us go without fear for losing our jobs.  

In short, we are happy to help in any way we can.  One of our members, a doctor, just passed away from cancer that was attributed to his response to ground zero in the weeks after 9/11.  That doesnít scare any of us.  I wish the best for my team and for all in harms way.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2018, 08:09:05 PM »
Fortunately, there has not been the devastation like Gulf Shores experienced during Katrina- houses completely gone.   While I haven't seen photos of all of the coast, much of the damage appears to be boardwalks, piers, heavy beach erosion, flooding of beach towns and some roof damage.  I haven't seen a lot of beach homes damaged to the point they would be demolished.  Of course power is out along the SE coast of NC.  Officials have said it may be weeks before evacuees can return.  The biggest issue is sanitary sewer service - sewers won't work until pumps have power.  

The biggest story is the flooding inland.  Similar to or worse than Matthew in the coastal plain and Sandhills of NC.   Interstate 40 is closed near Warsaw due to flooding. 

NE South Carolina will have a tough time over the next several days and weeks as well.  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
not been the devastation like Gulf Shores experienced during Katrina
Yes, thankfully this was not a storm that came across the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.  Hurricane Katrina came ashore as a Category 5 with 175 mph sustained winds.  We are 140 miles inland and still had hurricane force winds of 80 mph.

The being said, it was a faster moving storm and probably did not cause the massive flooding that this slow moving monster is doing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
This is not Florence related but we got 3 inches of rain last night in a short thunder storm . Almost a Florence . Be safe and all you people keep on helping where you can .GOD BLESS .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »
I have a friend who lives in Wilmington and had to stay behind to run the shelter at the school she runs.  Her exact words tonight were that Wilmington is "torn up" and the schools are closed for at least the next week.  One school / shelter flooded and had to be evacuated, still raining and the outer bands are hanging around.  It's a mess.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2018, 12:23:04 AM »
Buddy of mine just moved to wake forest NC.  Havent been able to reach him.
Revelation 3:20

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2018, 05:09:04 AM »
I have a son in law who is a lineman in Kentucky,  he was sent out on storm duty Friday but sent him home yesterday . I haven't spoken to him yet but my daughters fb post said less damage than expected. 
Together we got this !

Offline tree-farmer

• Hillbilly in the wild
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2018, 06:19:40 AM »
We are near Brevard NC.  Rain started last night and looks like about 1.5 inches of rain so far. Wind is brezzy but not strong yet. Next 24 hours will tell the tale. Its been very wet here this year, had 70+ inches of rain since first of year. This area lies on the edge of escarpment  where moisture comes up from down south and dumps on us. Classified as temperate rain forest.
I have preps made, generator, extra fuel, sharp chain saw, so will just ride it out and clean up mess afterward.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Offline florida

• Share Post
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
We should  be so lucky that all  hurricanes  were like this. As hurricanes go this one hasn't been much. I know eastern NC has had some flooding but all in all this has turned into  just a bad storm. My sister north of Charleston hardy got wet and my family south of Charleston got none.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.

Offline FLPINERAT

• Wonder which I run out of first, time or money?
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
Huh??

Online samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »
Seen news 15 dead, Wilmington is flood bound.  Wind has not been as much an issue as water.

My brother had power back this evening near Sunset Beach.  I believe brdge opened this morning.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Don P, it looks like you're gonna get some rain now.
HM126

Online samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Yep, I noticed on AEP outage map that Galax area had quite a few power outages.

WV, looks like Hinton is gonna get wet!

Creek in our backyard was up 9 to 10' today.  No issues, but the second highest we've seen.  Opal was highest in the mid 90's.  We moved here 92.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Most likely visit from Florence

Started by kelLOGg on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post September 12, 2018, 08:03:18 AM
by petefrom bearswamp
xx
Australia getting pounded by Huge Cyclone Yasi (huricane)

Started by wesdor on General Board

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 08:28:24 PM
by nsmike