iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Log turning  (Read 2173 times)

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Log turning
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 08:56:11 PM »
Three turns around the log with a tow strap or any 2" nylon strap will turn any log.  Keep a little tension on the bitter end of the strap.  

I'll just throw this out there and I know it could start a ruckus, but there's very little difference between pulling UP on the strap and pulling SIDEWAYS on the strap.   pull_smiley

Using any or all the ways mentioned above will get the job done.  I think it's good to have all of these in your tool box and then choose one to fit the circumstance.
HM126

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
I like the multi-wraps with a strap idea.   smiley_idea   No marring and the tension should prevent it from slipping.  smiley_thumbsup

My situation is that unless the landowner has a tractor/FEL, I have to depend upon using whatever turning that I can muster out of the sawmill's hydraulics.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 09:33:31 PM »
Hilltop, i like that pair of wheels thing. Set them up like a toe board a few bunk rails apart from each other. Hydro the wheel boards up and turn the log, either by hand or by hydro. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »
and also don't want to potentially mar up the live edge during turning

Sounds like ljohnsaw's tow strap ls the best answer for this purpose.

The non marring log turner could be in demand with all the slab making going on, I'm thinking some sort of conveyer belts arranged in a V shape that would push up the log and turn it or a pair of wheels and tires.
Instead of a chain or claw, like you said, replace chain and sprokets with dead rollers and use some conveyor belting that has enogh distance between the roller, to allow the wt. of the log to provide its own grip on the rubber, and turn the log, using the chain motor. 
Temple, Tx

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
The chain turners I have seen seem to turn the log against the back stops, I'm thinking the backstops will dig into the log or the log will try to climb the backstop which got me to thinking about the V shape and then the wheels.

I think the wheel idea would be the easiest to make as it could be done with off the shelf or scrapyard parts.

I guess one could weld up the spider gears in a rear differential and use the entire rear axel along with a set of idler wheels (4 wheels in total), put your power to the input shaft (this also gives you a gear reduction) to make the wheels turn

Will it work?  I guess we won't know until someone tries it.

Offline Lawg Dawg

• True South Sawmill Lumber
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 07:34:19 PM »
Yall very creative...but after 7 years running a manual mill, I finally got smart and bought an lt40...hasent let me down yet, and with a little finesse you can turn a big one without marring it up too bad using the claw and 2 plane clamp
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc
John Deere 5020, John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline jb616

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »
The chain turners I have seen seem to turn the log against the back stops, I'm thinking the backstops will dig into the log or the log will try to climb the backstop which got me to thinking about the V shape and then the wheels.
One idea that I had was to slide a couple longer tubes over the backstops temporarily while turning the log so that it doesn't bite on the top of the stops.  Feasible? 

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 09:16:56 PM »
I use two 2" pipe 30" long slip over my back stops for turning ugly/ big logs. :D :D ;D

Offline Lawg Dawg

• True South Sawmill Lumber
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
One idea that I had was to slide a couple longer tubes over the backstops temporarily while turning the log so that it doesn't bite on the top of the stops.  Feasible?
Been there done that, I used 2" pvc.  Had to heat it up a little to get it to fit over the stops of the lt15.  Very slick for turning...the pvc
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc
John Deere 5020, John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 09:39:45 PM »
Before I had a log turner I would drive a skid steer right up on the log deck to turn big logs using a swamp hook to grab the log.  Problem was there could only be one log on the deck.

Offline logman 219

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
charles  what size is a 5000 lbs log?? better yet where the heck do you find them???

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
charles  what size is a 5000 lbs log?? better yet where the heck do you find them???
Iv got a pecan that between 2 logs, weighed 12,300 lbs. iv even got the scale tickets for those logs. 
Temple, Tx

Offline logman 219

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
iv been sawing hardwood lumber to use in my cabinet shop for 18 years, iv picked up some big logs in that time!! iv never seen a log that size before ! but iam in indiana not tex.

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
In July I was contacted by a gentleman wanting a big poplar milled into slabs.  He sent measurement and just for fun I used the Log Weight calculator in the Tool Box.  The log was 12' long and 50" on the small end.  The calculated weight was over 7,500 pounds. 

I had to pass on the job because I don't have any way to deal with a log that size. 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »
But we always have to be careful and ask questions when folks start giving measurements over the telephone.  It's amazing how many people do not know the difference between diameter and circumference.  :o  I often have to ask; across the end or around the log?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 02:23:04 PM »
Build a 4 tire roller cradle out of lawn tractor front tires so that it mimics the bed of a rosser head debarker.  Mount them on 4 pedestals.  A single cylinder could press a wedge shape in and out to raise this apparatus under the mill a few inches,  lifting the log or cant so that the log is now on a stationary roller,  kinda like a car on a chassis dyno.  Picture an upside down 4 caster stool for the device.  

Now take your old hank of rope and tie it around the end of your favorite rigging bar/pipe/ cant handle etc.  Make 3 capstan turns around the log with the rope tail and tie it back to the handle. Theres your non-marring mega log turner.  

For those with fixed backstops you could put basic caster up on the top of the posts.. Maybe a drop in sleeve or quick clamp on configuration.  The pineywoods turner with a pneumatic tire option may also assist.  If not for friction any log is happy to turn. Heck they love rolling right down a hill for me whenever i dont want em to.  So, just reduce the friction on your mill bed and backstops. 

Revelation 3:20

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »

Like a big filter wrench. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »
iv been sawing hardwood lumber to use in my cabinet shop for 18 years, iv picked up some big logs in that time!! iv never seen a log that size before ! but iam in indiana not tex.
On pg 4, 
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=102281.60
the log suspended from my arch with the dog standing at the back of my trailer is rite close to 3000#, going off what my tractor can lift. The forks will roll back enough to get it off the ground a few inches, but my lift arms will not pick it up any further than what my fork roll will do. 
I do have my arms pinned in the 3000# holes. Will move them to the 3500# holes and see if it ill pick it up via lift arms. 
If it wont, then kubota is full of poo and need to fix their advertisements. 
The log being loaded and the log with my saw dawged into it was the last pecan, which was a live until a few months ago. That is the load i scaled. 
The pecan with my wife standing by it was heavy enough to stretch the D-ring, pictured below the pic with my wife. The ring has a wll of i think 10,000 or 12,000#. An unused ring is pictured beside the stretched ring for comparison to the amount of stretch. 
I upgraded to a wll of 15,000# and no stretching yet. 
Temple, Tx

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 05:04:36 PM »
 A farm (handy man) jack with a chain, or strap will turn any log. And do it cheap.    

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »
I thought about mounting an electric winch with a hook, then mount it to my carriage just to roll the log. But not sure its a good idea. Especially since I want something to be able to roll logs up the ramps to.
That is exactly what I do in reply #2.

Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arches, tractor, thumb tacks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
pen turning

Started by thedeeredude on General Woodworking

27 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 01:24:39 AM
by Don P
xx
turning

Started by lpresnell on General Woodworking

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 02:05:47 PM
by Lud