iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siberian Elm, grain feature question

Started by Tom the Sawyer, September 13, 2018, 11:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

I was milling Siberian Elm logs today when I saw this unknown feature in two of the logs. They are tiny knots along the pith.  They are fairly evenly spaced, appear to be wood fiber (not metal or plastic like netting).  For reference, the board is about 15" wide, the knots are 2-3" apart.  Does anyone know what they are?

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Southside

Is there any reason they would not have simply been small branches that were shed?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Quote from: Southside logger on September 13, 2018, 11:41:50 PM
Is there any reason they would not have simply been small branches that were shed?
Yup, those were formed back in the old days when the tree was only a 1" dia sapling. Had all sorts of small branches sprouting off it. After a few years, the tree grew bigger, shed those twigs, and kept growing. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DelawhereJoe

I've seen Lowe's lumber with what looks like the remnants of the trees first needs ingrained into the wood.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!