AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Blade storage box  (Read 1553 times)

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: Blade storage box
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 07:08:10 AM »
In the future I think I will also make a couple of the flat pack sleeves like  Terrifictimbersllc has for storing bands awaiting resharpening.
For sharpened blades, not for dull ones.  Usually take 3-5 boxes, that's up to 75 blades if all were full-they're not all full usually- which take up little bed space in truck.  Why multiple boxes: Usually one for 4s, one 7Ts, one with "spruce blades (7Ts set at 30-35), maybe an extra box of 4s or 7s if other has few blades, or a box of 9s or 10s I'm using up.  I'm loading up for 2 or 3 days sometimes. Also certain customers give me wood that eats blades.  Make sure I don't need to come home to get more blades. 

Blades in action.  Lift box over side of truck, set on ground by tire.  Tip blades back against legs and remove one from the back side.    Again take little extra space and little extra walking around. No looking for a place to open the box or bending over to the ground.   Works for me, your results may vary.

Dull bands get laid uncoiled in back of truck, I put my mega hook through them to make sure they all get home. :o :o :o After that, they get additionally cleaned if needed, treated for any damage etc, then hung up by the sharpener usually before I go into the house.  No packaging up dull bands.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »

Dull bands get laid uncoiled in back of truck, I put my mega hook through them to make sure they all get home. :o :o :o 
:D :D :D That made my day! I'm glad it has happened to someone else besides me. On the bright side I saw it blow out and recovered it before anyone had the chance to run it over ;).

Your flat pack sleeve system makes sense to me and sounds like it works well for you. Thanks for taking the time to explain how you use them and how you remove a blade from the bundle.  
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
That made my day! I'm glad it has happened to someone else besides me. On the bright side I saw it blow out and recovered it before anyone had the chance to run it over .
What you are suggesting never happened to me except in my imagination, thankfully.  Actually it would have been something that happened to someone behind me, should it have happened, which it didn't. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 11:38:47 AM »
 Update on my blade storage and transport frustration.  I built a flat pack type box that works ok for about 4 blades. Maybe it was my execution but I didnt like it.  Seems like it is always on the bottom in the bed of the truck. 

I thought about an old cooler which wasnt big enough.  I considered the Magic-can but was trying to avoid coiling blades. 

Then I was in the basement this morning.  Sitting in my way was an empty Sterilite storage bin.   So I have to resort to coiling blades but the 40 gallon tote holds a dozen or more blades.  

Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
I would not use that without two blades back to back and then with cardboard spacers to protect the teeth.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SawyerTed

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
Magic man, we are on the same wave length on that.  Ive been collecting cardboard this afternoon. 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline SawyerTed

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
Cardboard added.  This will have to suffice for tomorrows mobile job.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »
Ted,

Good luck with your new band box. I hope it works well for you.

I always load my blades in my truck as the last item in their flat box(es). I have the spare mill tire. chainsaw, leaf blower, wood blocks and jack in front. There is room for a 5 gallon gas can on one side and my big tool box on the other. When I disconnect from the mill I pull the truck forward a few feet, drop the tailgate, slide the band box out about half way till it is even with the end of the tailgate and raise one side of my box to access the blades. If I take more than one hook angle and multiple boxes I keep the one on top that I use most. I take my blades out one at a time and at the end of the day I just slide them back into the bed of my truck. This way I never really take but one blade at a time off the box/truck once loaded and the rest stay in the box in the truck for the return trip. I set the dull blades aside and load them last at the end of the job with my Logrite through them to hold them down. When I get home I put them in the Used box for storage till I get a box full to send to re-sharp. I send my blades back in one box regardless of hook angle and when returned they are marked by WM and I separate out by hook angle.

As they wear out I am replacing all my 7 & 10 degree blades with 4 degree doublehards and plan on standardizing on that one blade over time as they work best for everything for me.

In fact, I try to lay a nylon tarp down first then put my tools and bands on that then fold the top of the tarp over it all in case it rains between the time I load up and travel. I throw my mill cover on last and weight it down with tools in case I end up leaving the mill overnight and need to cover it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SawyerTed

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
Managing the blade organization is one thing that hasnt come easy. It has been a mild but continuous aggravation.  Its funny how little thought sawmill manufacturers give to to it especially for mobile operations

Had the best luck loading blades last and strapping them upright in the flat box against the tailgate.  My concern became rain and managing dull blades.  

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
   Yeah, my boxes are always laid flat and not upright except when I am carrying them on storing them in the barn when I return home. The tarp keeps them dry during travel. 

I have talked about but have not yet built me a dry storage bin for them. I figure a couple of pegs and a couple of low wattage light bulbs would keep them dry. Once I standardize on one blade/hook angle that will be easier - just a 1X6 or 1X8 shadow box affair with 2 wood dowels on top for the double loop of the clover leaf to hang over and a couple of light fixtures for light bulbs - shielded so I don't break them every time I take a roll of bands down. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Blade storage ?

Started by KamHillbilly on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 02:40:24 PM
by Chuck White
xx
Blade Storage

Started by Tree Feller on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 03:23:36 PM
by tcsmpsi