AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Hello from Scotland.  (Read 1208 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Hello from Scotland.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »
    I don't know that I have ever taken a shot at a deer over 22 yards with my bow. I have shot several that never knew they were shot. They would run 30-40 yards and stop and look back with "What was that?" look on their face then suddenly start to wobble and fall over dead. No ethical sports man wants an animal to suffer.

Congrats on the Stag. I gather they are very big sort of like the size of one our elk. 

I was talking to a Norwegian friend one time and he kept talking about deer and showing me a head that looked like one of our elk then he'd talk about an elk so we got a local hunting magazine and he showed me. What he was calling an elk is a moose to us so a Norwegian Elkhound was actually bred as a moosehunting dog. They use them to chase the moose out of the brush like we used to hunt deer with dogs down south.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Vender

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 09:24:50 PM »
Hi Bruce.
I know the Holy Loch well. The depot ship was the Canopas?
I had frends with a house in Sandbank.
I used to shoot with the marines up at Dechmont range.
You wouldn't recognise the place now. It's a bit run down and depressing.
Take care.
Iain.
Come to Michigan and you will see run down. Dont believe the Scot, Scotland is beautiful. Well I just got back. Went to the isle of skye. Amazing. Stayed at Dundass castle. I always get a laugh when we go overseas and the locals think areas are run down. Welcome and I cant wait to get back to Scotland. 

Offline Silverfoxfintry

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 04:16:22 AM »
    I don't know that I have ever taken a shot at a deer over 22 yards with my bow. I have shot several that never knew they were shot. They would run 30-40 yards and stop and look back with "What was that?" look on their face then suddenly start to wobble and fall over dead. No ethical sports man wants an animal to suffer.

Congrats on the Stag. I gather they are very big sort of like the size of one our elk.

I was talking to a Norwegian friend one time and he kept talking about deer and showing me a head that looked like one of our elk then he'd talk about an elk so we got a local hunting magazine and he showed me. What he was calling an elk is a moose to us so a Norwegian Elkhound was actually bred as a moosehunting dog. They use them to chase the moose out of the brush like we used to hunt deer with dogs down south.

In practice there are Two types.  "Highland" and "lowland" . Due to better feeding, Lowland Stags tend to be larger. Last winter was very hard on Deer in some areas of Scotland. One estate manager told me that they were unable to access any of their back country for Four to Five weeks due to the depth of Snow.
In the Spring nearly every valley had dead Deer. I was up north in May and the Deer were still in very poor condition. In my area the smaller "Roe Deer" numbers crashed. However, we had a hot dry Summer and as Roe usually have twins numbers will recover.

Offline Silverfoxfintry

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:51:33 AM »

Finally worked out how to add pictures.
 P

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: Today at 08:10:50 AM »
Nice.  How old is he?  He looks pretty mature.  I don't know my stags, but that looks like a good one.

I hear it's easier to get a suppressor than a gun over there.  Suppressors have become popular here, but there's a lot of paperwork and they're pricey since they're not produced in large quantities.  It is worth the time and expense to use them though.  A suppressor makes shooting a lot more enjoyable.

Thanks for posting the picture.

HM126

Offline florida

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: Today at 09:25:33 AM »
Silverfox
Beautiful stag! I had no idea there was any public hunting of stags in Scotland. My impression has been that you had to be landed gentry or pay large sums to get one.
Scotland is our favorite vacation place. We saw several sizable herds with stags on Harris last June then again around Tongue later in the month. Beautfulplace to hunt!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.

Offline Silverfoxfintry

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: Today at 10:01:16 AM »
He was a 14 point stag. So, Two points a year? Over 7 years old.
As for costs for stalking. On a Highland estate a stag like that may run into several thousand pounds.
That is way out of my league! 
I shoot for pleasure and to fill the freezer. This one filled Three!
As for Sound Moderators. Quite easy to obtain now. But they are classed as a "firearm" and must be applied for and entered on your Firearm certificate.
Guns are very strictly controlled. No Self loading rifles (except .22rf) No pistols of any sort! Except for "Humane dispatch" of wounded or injured animals. Usually revolvers with only Two chambers. Ammunition must be entered on your certificate with maximum amounts allowed.
However, if you tick all the boxes you can enjoy shooting sports.
We had a bit of a storm about an American Lady shooting Feral Goats on the Island of Isla last month. She posted a video on Utube. The locals were not impressed. 

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #27 on: Today at 10:04:51 AM »
As far as hunting with archery, I have only gotten 4 over the years, ranging in distance from 7 yards up to 27 yards on my long shot. (I used to have a self imposed max of 30 yds, that is now 25 yards)The farthest any of them went was under 50 yards, 1 stood still after the shot and looked right at me, then tipped over about 15 seconds or so later.
If you use a good broadhead and put it in the right spot the deer (or most other game) falls within 15-30 seconds and very seldom runs at full speed. It is generally easier on the animal because there is little or almost no sound.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Member in England/Scotland?

Started by Gilman on General Board

8 Replies
Last post February 07, 2005, 03:04:31 PM
by Jeff
xx
Photographs - Northern Lights Star Trails Scotland

Started by highlandeye on The Outdoor Board

9 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 07:16:15 AM
by WDH