AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Clearing regrowth without chemicals  (Read 1766 times)

Online nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
Re: Clearing regrowth without chemicals
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
Go look at the UN FAO library on Agroforestry.  Look at all the papers published by ICRAF.  

These are a starting point.  

What is your business plan?  What are you going to sell?  This is going to inform on how you will clear.  
Liking Walnut

Offline rudder

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 10:24:38 PM »
Wow - you have ambitions. Your clearing process procedure is correct but is it feasible?  Dozers, excavators and chippers need to be large to clear large acres - how much are you planning on converting?  Large machines need good roads to get there, work best on flatter ground and take large amounts of money to run.  In US$ it is about $150+/hour to run them - Peru may have a lower operator labor cost but I bet parts and fuel are higher.  Depending on the vegetation heavy equipment can run through 2 -5 acres (convert that to hectares) a day, more if its just brush sized.  So maybe $600 - $1000 an acre.  I know a few crops that could make that economical but many won't. Smaller acres could get by with smaller machines - are they available? Maybe the road system is better suited for smaller.   What about human labor - is the piece size small enough to manhandle.  A lot of work can be done by strong backs. There are people on the board that are more familiar with the tropics than I am, wait a bit or repost in the general board for their replies.  More info would help esp the size of land you want to convert what type of vegetation covers it, and what kind of infrastructure is nearby.
What brush size would you equate with taking a full day to clear 2-5 acres? I.e. What diameter of tree trunks? Also what size bulldozer do you have in mind. Bigger ones will clear more efficiently.

Offline charles mann

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »
as others have said, YES, during can have detrimental effects on the land. rapid run off after heavy down pours will most likely occur. Yes, it robs the ground of vital nutrients initially, but some pant life require fires to regerminate and start fresh growth. I burn my pasture, or at least try to burn it once a yr, mostly to burn off the layers of hay that sits on top between cuttings. after burning, i do get a LOT of broad leaf weeds, but 2-4D takes care of that, and i get new and more vibrant grass grow after the broad leaf garbage is killed off. wanted I'm only burning 4 acres, and the johnson and san augustine grass seem to come back fairly quick with a more fuller and thicker growth. I am luck thou when it comes to fertilizer. there is a big corn field and i have learned to burn just before planting, or a few weeks after planting. the farmer hires an air tractor to come in and do an aerial application of fertilizer, which it never fails, he either starts the spray to early, or stops it to late, and i get over sprayed. plus he sprays a few months later with a broad leaf killer that doesn't harm the corn, but kills these dang wild sun flowers that had taken over my property before i bought it. 
during does has negative side effects, but also some positives. it just needs to be done in moderation.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
chemicals used in a timber

Started by Randy88 on Ask The Forester

19 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 04:54:59 AM
by Claybraker
xx
aspen regrowth

Started by shadetree on Forestry and Logging

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2004, 08:53:13 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
regrowth info

Started by ysacres on General Board

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2002, 12:30:32 PM
by Tillaway
xx
How do you stop the regrowth of Alder Brush after mowing?

Started by biglake on General Board

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2005, 08:59:16 AM
by slowzuki