TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: AT fuel mix  (Read 2600 times)

Offline TrevorP

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
AT fuel mix
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:33:44 PM »
This topic has probably been discussed exhaustively so I'll apologise now and prepare for incoming.
I've been using 50:1 in my 034 for many years - never a problem but it's not running day in/out.
I needed something for a bigger job and bought a new husky 565 - an AT saw.
The manufacturer recommends 50:1 but the dealer said he runs 25:1 - and not just for the first few tanks.
I know that manufacturers are constrained by EPA legislation and need to specify low oil content but does the dealer have a point, saying that 50:1 will cause hotter running?
Will it benefit from a heavier mix?
Will 25:1 lead to gumming up or carbon deposits in a saw that only gets occasional use?

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
Re: AT fuel mix
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
WelcomeTrevor!
Hey I want to hear how you like the new 70cc 565. Still no sign of them here yet.
Run 50:1
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 11:48:56 PM »
I don't have any AT saws by design and for what it's worth I run 32:1 in all of them. 372xt's, 395's. I even go so far as to use the Wally world marine 2 cycle oil that comes in gallon jugs. Never caused an issue for me. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 12:53:30 AM »
I like 32:1, I'm running that ratio in all of my saws including my Stihl 261cm. It runs just fine on it.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline TrevorP

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 05:07:59 AM »
Only had it 2 days so itís a little early for a review but so far itís all positive - not too heavy and enough power for me (I've been using a 034AV for ~10yrs)

034AV - 5.3kg (11.7lb), 3.0kw (4bhp) @13000
565 - 6.5kg (14.3lb), 3.7kw (5bhp) @9300

Truth be told, the 034 suited me just fine but I sometimes came across a situation where a 20Ē would have been useful.
A few days ago the clutch on the old workhorse disassembled itself leaving me with nothing to perform surgery on a 30yrs dead, 20Ē Blackwood which had blown down on a friend's property.
I can rationalise a Ďwantí into a Ďneedí as well as the next man so I went looking.
I like to be in control of what the motorís doing and have been left helpless by microprocessors before so I wasnít keen on the M-Tronics and Autotunes being foisted upon us. The local Stihl agent had just sold his last MS391 - not getting any more, so I visited the Husqvarna agent, though I had a prejudice against the inboard sprockets of Huskys and reports canning the air filters. He had just taken delivery of the 565 which seemed to have answers to all of my niggles - better seal around the air filter, outboard sprocket, improved Autotune. He'd throw in an extra chain, extra oils, 5yr warranty, dropped $170 off the top. What could I do?
So the 565 has 5yrs to prove itself - if it stuffs up Iíll be sure to let everyone know about it!

In the meantime I had this little issue about the mix to settle. If the agentís telling me albeit unofficially to use 25:1 he can hardly turn around and say ďYour faultĒ if it carbons up.
Iím not too hard on saws - not harvesting giant Mountain Ash or even running a mill so I donít imagine Iím in danger of cooking it from using too thin a mix.

32:1 might be a good compromise.

Online lxskllr

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 06:43:40 AM »
I always used 32:1 in my poulan. Nice round number for mixing in my 1qt bottle. I bought some little bottles of Stihl ultra earlier in the year for my new Stihl and didn't consider the ramifications of that. It's setup for 50:1, so I mix it a little rich by leaving a finger of space under the marker on my 1g can.

I really don't think it matters. I've read tons of threads on chainsaw operation and maintenance this year, with people running mix ratios all over the charts, and haven't read anything that caught my attention one way or the other. Most fall between 32:1 and 50:1, so I'd run whatever in that range makes you feel better.

Regarding autotune... My new good saw is a 362cm. Works great, and it's a joy to use. Like you, I don't like having to depend on someone else to fix my stuff. On the other hand, I don't really like working on engines, and the electronics make it so I don't have to twiddle knobs to get it to run well. What *I'd* like to see is a usb port, and some software the user can use to at least troubleshoot their own gear. I can always dream, eh?  :^D

Good luck with your new saw! I'm sure you'll love it  :^)

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 08:14:34 AM »
Run 50:1

I run all my Stihl Stuff with 50:1 (only org. Stihl Oil) since 20 years and i never had a problem. Even the 088 chainsaw milling here in the insupportable hot tropic climate did just great with 50:1   
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
50:1 with good fuel and good oil.  Why would you want a leaner oil/fuel mix?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
More lubrication with 32:1
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »
With modern oil I am not convinced, the extra just accumulates as carbon on the piston and muffler. I run my 2 strokes on 50:1 using Stihl oil, it is locally available, and have yet to see a problem
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Ed

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 10:42:15 PM »
All my 2 cycle ope get 50:1....oldest is an 020 Stihl from the mid 70's.

One has to remember, todays oils are vastly improved over the old 32:1 mix oil.

Ed

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 08:32:43 AM »
20 years of running 45 or 50:1 in all my 2 cycle equipment - even older stuff that calls for 32:1, and not a single lube-related problem. (the 45:1 comes from mixing in a jug where it's hard to see the fill level, so I tend to err on the low side when filling with gas, targeting 0.9, rather than 1 gallon. I figure if I'm off, I'd rather be a little low on the fuel mix ratio than a little high.)

Surprising - a thread on oil mix ratios, and Al Smith has not chimed in yet. I guess he's just sitting back, munching his popcorn and enjoying the show.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 09:20:59 AM »
  Saws have fans to shed heat.  They cant do that so well if they arent running.  Whatever mix you run, let the saw idle here and there.  The fins can only absord so much heat before the piston to wall clearance starts getting tight.  And in that moment when things are tight, more oil is never a bad thing.  

I put 50:1 in my tophandle and leaf blower.. Tools that dont tend to get hammered on.  40:1 goes in the firewood saw, 25:1 in the concrete saw and the 395 when milling.  Carbon i can tolerate, a wiped out MAHLE jug i cannot.  I let the 395 idle after every pass, and pause to oil the bar sprocket.  On 50:1 the saw was clinking and tinking when i first tried milling.  Way hot.  Plastic was smoking one day when it ran out of fuel. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
 The only AT saw I have is a 550xp, I just use the same fuel I use in all my other saws and trimmers. 50:1 with good fuel and good oil (Red armor, XP oil or Stihl Ultra is what I use). I occasionally mix a 2.5 gal mix (6.4oz) bottle with 2 gallons of gas if it's what I have on hand.
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »
The 2.5 gal mix to 2 gal fuel is what I use, it was 32:1 for an old weedeater brand trimmer I had years ago but the fuel lines would junk out on me after 2-3 years on it. The Stihl equipment in the other hand never had a problem with the fuel bothering the lines.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Andyshine77

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 05:25:46 AM »
I always recommend at least 40:1 and in your environment with all the dry dusty hardwoods, more oil is definitely a good idea. On top of that strato saws use less fuel which also means less oil, they run on the hot side too.  
Andre.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »
Let the AT saws when hot idle for a minute before shutting them off.

I see the need for the next advancement in AutoTune and MTronic technology.... is a low fuel warning signal of some sorts.  ;)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
I seems everyone is going to run what they're going to run...I like a little more oil, and I've had zero problems with carbon or plug fouling. I have had bearing failures when running 50:1. A grizzled old saw mechanic told me that bearing failures were unheard of in the richer mix days. So I run 40:1 and err on the rich side of that. If I was smoking out the woods, sticking rings and otherwise carboning up, I'd go to 50:1, but short of that I'll mix it rich.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
Yeah back in the good old "leaded gas days" the lead offered some protection by itself.
Once in the 1970's on a hot summer day I accidently straight gassed my 621 Jonsered. It stalled out quick but after it cooled off and after I got some fresh 40:1 fuel mix down the spark plug hole and into the tank the saw went on like nothing happened.

Pulled the muffler a few days later to check the P/C and was glad to see not even a scuff.
Old lead gas did its job alright but I sure wish I never breathed that stuff into my lungs for all those years.

Offline pine

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
Let the AT saws when hot idle for a minute before shutting them off.

I see the need for the next advancement in AutoTune and MTronic technology.... is a low fuel warning signal of some sorts.  ;)
Got my first computer MTronic saw in July.  A Stihl 201T for climbing as the old one was worn out.  Did not want to go that way but no real choice anymore as that is all there is out there.
Your low fuel warning comment triggered a thought.
Why do you say that? Specifically.
I think I know...... but would like to hear it from you with your experience.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Rentech opens synthetic fuel plant in Colorado Jet & Diesel fuel

Started by Tom on General Board

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 11:11:44 AM
by Tom
xx
Rentech opens synthetic fuel plant in Colorado Jet & Diesel fuel

Started by SPIKER on Alternative methods and solutions

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 08:36:14 PM
by SPIKER
xx
E-10 fuel eats Shindaiwa fuel pick-up tubes

Started by jteneyck on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 02:31:36 PM
by jteneyck
xx
Clean up and new fuel line, doesn't seem to pull fuel?

Started by fairlaniac on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 06:51:51 AM
by Al_Smith