AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Stihl 090 Cannon 84" Bar Slab Build  (Read 822 times)

Offline jemmy

• Share Post
Stihl 090 Cannon 84" Bar Slab Build
« on: September 30, 2018, 04:14:33 AM »
Been building and developing my lumber business. This has been a long build that has stretched a few months and soon to go on a year of the first purchase of my 090 and bar. I have been fabricating a frame for the mill itself. Used 2" Square tube for my frame. And 1" square tube for auxiliary framing. A lot of little customized additions as well. Stay tuned for constant updates, and questions!

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Offline kenfrommaine

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl 090 Cannon 84" Bar Slab Build
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »
Very cool, that is going to be a beast! Do you have a way to dry your slabs or you sell them green?
Looking forward to a video of this when you get it together.

Offline jimparamedic

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
Looks like a nice set up. Does that bar use 2 saw heads? 

Offline jemmy

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
No unfortunately its only 1 power head, 090 seemed like enough for now, I hope... I could probably do a dual system, just need another power head and bar. But that's a lot of cost, I should be able to get 1ft/min. I have plenty of room to store and dry out the slabs, 28 acres, and a kiln is in the making, a solar powered shipping container. Currently, I have 1 customer that wants maple slabs 2" thick as wide as possible, and doesn't mind taking them rough sawn and green. I'm also going to start putting adds up on FB and slowly move into tables and such. This saw is for slabbing, or cutting big logs in manageable cads. A lot of theories and speculations are going into this slabbing build. Thankfully everything has worked out pretty good. Gotta build the brackets for the tanks of the auxiliary oilier, fuel, power head oilier, and the systems for between, I already have most of the fittings and hoses. 
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Offline jemmy

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:06:05 PM »
Is there any problem with drilling holes in my bar then securing the bar with flat stock and all thread? I like 5/8 for the all thread. Thoughts, concerns, advice?

Offline chep

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 08:39:50 AM »
Make sure you can take the bar off easily. It will need to be dressed and flipped every so often so that it wears evenly

Cool build!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:49 AM »

I drilled through a pretty tired 36" bar for 1/2-13 threaded rod on this home made alaskan.  It works fine but bars are pretty hard, youll need a good hardened drill, carbide if possible and in a pretty slow drillpress.  A bridgeport would be better, youll wanna be down around 200-300 rpm and with a good cutting fluid.  

I drilled through a 24" bar for a track and cantilever carriage sawmill i built also. Used a pair of 3/8s bolts next to the powerhead to fasten it to the steel mount on the carriage and hold everything up.  The bar floats freely so its not supported at the sprocket end.  It works fine, neither bar has had anything bad happen yet but with an 84 youll need a sprocket end support.  Just dont try clamping the bar tip.  Itll wreck the bearing.  Make sure you drill far enough away from the sprocket to miss the tang.
Revelation 3:20

Offline jemmy

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 03:08:56 AM »
Where or what is the chainsaw bar tang?? Is it like a insert into the bar from the tip that is hidden?

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »
Yeah the bar tip insert extends into the bar between the cheek plates a bit deeper than the rivet.  Just look at a pic of a new sprocket insert and youll get it. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 10:36:26 AM »
If i was gonna do it again i would probably buy 2 good forged american made C clamps from the welding shop, and weld them to the posts.  Loosen claps, pop the saw right out.  Just need to be sure the throats are deep enough to clamp centered on the bar and still clear the cutter.  And jig it up real square for the first tack and triple check before finishing.  You cant clamp the sprocket tip anywhere near the bearing, itll pinch and cook immediately.  Its gotta be behind the rivet.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mounting Cannon S2 (big Stihl) 42" bar on MS661 (small Stihl)

Started by neildorin on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
880 Magnum with 50" Cannon Superbar

Started by TimT on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2016, 06:35:48 AM
by Ada Shaker
xx
making a 5" slab into a 3" slab