The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Peach Preserves  (Read 241 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Peach Preserves
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
   My lone peach tree out in my pasture did itself proud this year. They are small, cling, white peaches and most were not much bigger than a golf ball. I had to cut around the bruises and worms. (Note to self: Don't just spray pre-bloom next year, spray again after the blooms drop off too.) I collected, peeled, cut up and froze about 4 gallons of peaches over a couple week period. Today I thawed them. I started with 15 lbs of frozen peaches, added 10 lbs of sugar, about a half cup of lemon juice (all we had left in the house) and about a pint or so of orange juice. The acid is needed to help the jam/jelly/preserves set. I divided the mix into two big aluminum pans and cooked them down till thick with only one boil-over. When the syrup thickened satisfactorily I poured them up. I used up all the pint and half pint jars left in the house and still had to use one quart jar for the last pint of preserves. Now I'm just waiting for the lids to snap shut and I'll label and take them downstairs till used. I suspect a big batch of homemade biscuits is on the menu for tonight and for breakfast especially since my 6 & 10 y/o granddaughters are supposed to be coming over to spend the night.

Peach preserves are good but they always remind me of Ray Stevens "Its me again Margaret"

Larger pot just starting to cook.

Getting the jars ready to start pouring. A plastic canning funnel is an essential tool if you do much canning.

Here are 21 pints of finished preserves. Even have a big jar of Crunchy Peanut butter in the background waiting for them to cool.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
Re: Peach Preserves
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
Lookin' good, Howard!

Makes one want to lick the monitor! ;D
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Scuppernong (Muscadine) Hull Preserves

Started by WV Sawmiller on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

16 Replies
Last post August 29, 2018, 05:02:11 AM
by thecfarm
xx
Peach Wine

Started by highpockets on General Board

26 Replies
Last post August 07, 2006, 04:12:19 PM
by ely
xx
peach trees need help

Started by JAMES G on Ask The Forester